Sax on the Web Forum banner

Couesnon Serial numbers

26K views 41 replies 24 participants last post by  juliano.ramoz 
#1 ·
As far as I am aware there is no list for Couesnon Saxophone serial numbers. My Monopole 2 alto is 92XX , which I believe is around 1958 . Does anyone else have any dates of theirs, if so post them here so we can compile it and forward it to saxpics.Leave the last 2 numbers as XXs to keep them anonymous.
If anyone doesn't know where to find them, they are sometimes on the front of the sax under one of the right hand pads.

#4 ·
Couesnon serial number

Thanks for the replies.
The 14,000 1969 model and the 1958 9000 model would imply approximately 500 horns a year assuming they made them evenly.
However this does disagree with the saxpics site where he dates the Monopole 1 upto 82xx / 1950.
My 9000 model date was based on a recent ebay one with a dated makers tag, so it should be fairly accurate.
Any more thoughts welcomed. :)

#5 ·
I just got a Couesnon clarinet and it's an excellent instrument. Great Find!

It's serial number is 285xx. If any of you are able to track down a serial number list please let me know.

#6 ·
Who is it that doth take my name in vain? Oh. Hi, Ben.

No, I haven't gotten much more info on C. serials. I have found another C. sax model that I haven't yet posted, though.

* Sigh *

One of y'all win the lottery and give me a stipend so I can just sit at home doing website stuff.

#10 ·
I recently bought a Couesnon Monopole Conservatoires alto sax with serial number 11103. It came with a "CERTIFICAT D'ESSAI ET DE GARANTIE", printed on Monopole Conservatoire certificate paper, with the serial number 11103 written in by hand, dated in Paris by hand November 15, 1960, and signed and stamped by M. NOUAUX.

On the same stamp as the name M. NOUAUX, is the following below the name: "1er Prix du Concours Internationel d'Execution Musicale a Geneve Soliste a la Garde Republicaine".

This has to be the best conclusive forensic evidence tying a serial number to a date of manufacture of this Couesnon sax.

#11 ·
I Have a Couesnon Monpole Conservatories Tenor Sax...

Its registration card reads

Serial Number 150xx
Model 755

manufactured by Couesnon S.A. 105, rue Lafayette, Paris 10 tel. TRU. 36-60

distributed by The Fred Gretsch Manufacturing Company 60 Broadway, Brooklyn II, N.Y. - 218 South Wabash, Chicago 4, Illinois

No Use of zip codes? usage of the zip code system started July 1, 1963

#15 ·
I've got a Couesnon alto my daughter is trying to use for marching band, S/N 14692. No idea how old it is, I got it second hand in the mid 90s. I'd assume it was bought as a student instrument in the late 70s or early 80s based on the age of the person I bought it from. He said he used it in school.

We've been told that it isn't well suited to the rigors of marching, we're looking to replace it soon with something else.

#16 ·
We've been told that it isn't well suited to the rigors of marching,…
That's pretty ridiculous. Maybe the person who said that is trying to sell you a sax. If they said the sound wasn't ideal for marching there would be more credibility. Or perhaps the pads are very old and the Couesnon needs an overhaul. That can be expensive but so is buying a new instrument.

#17 ·
Well, it's been repaired once and needs more work. While he did say he could find us something, he wasn't pushing a new instrument. This is who the school district uses and we trust him. He said the keys are 'soft'. Kids aren't that gentle and marching means being outside, laid on the ground, picked up and put down a lot, etc. I think it's also harder to work on and he's not familiar with it. We had another guy tell me it was junk, don't put any money into it, but this guy was able to repair it a few years ago when my oldest used it for jazz band. He said it was a good horn just not for how a student is going to treat it in marching band.

I'd rather not replace it, but if I can get it into the hands of someone who knows and appreciates it and get her something better for her right now it seems like a good idea.

Any idea how old it is? If 11000 was in 1960, then my 14692 makes it mid 60s? If so, it's much older than I thought.

#18 ·
He said the keys are 'soft'.

Any idea how old it is? If 11000 was in 1960, then my 14692 makes it mid 60s?
Yes, that is possible, especially if the keys have been bent a lot in the past. The metal can get weak. Does your sax have the words "monopole conservatoirs" on it? That was Couesnon's top sax. They did make a lower student model, too. Your sax is from the 1960s or 70s… not all that old in the world of saxophones where many pro players still use Selmers from the 1950s.

#26 ·
As far as I am aware there is no list for Couesnon Saxophone serial numbers. My Monopole 2 alto is 92XX , which I believe is around 1958 . Does anyone else have any dates of theirs, if so post them here so we can compile it and forward it to saxpics.Leave the last 2 numbers as XXs to keep them anonymous.
My understanding is that the serial number list was destroyed in the same factory fire that brought about the end of their saxophone production but I can't remember where I read this. These horns were obviously imported by someone and then sold by probably only a handful of dealers. Has anyone ever tried compiling a serial number list from these sources? It wouldn't have every horn they ever made or the exact date of manufacture, but would probably at least be enough to figure out what year it was imported or sold.

#27 ·
Just acquired a Couesnon Monopole Conservatoire tenor sax s/no 149xx behind the pinkie table - I keep seeing "II" mentioned here but can't find anything on the engraving (apart from two pigeons ?) that would suggest that. Certainly has "Couesnon Monopole Conservatoire" in the bell engraving.

Musical instrument Light Brass instrument Music Wind instrument

(the case didn't come with the sax, I've had that R&C case here for a while waiting for a suitable resident :bluewink: )

Plays like a dream - having been used to the more 'spread' Martin sound, I can now appreciate a more focussed sound. A lot is down to the choice of mouthpiece, but with my high-baffle Couf J10*S (far right in the picture below) it has all the presence you could ever wish for when pushed, subtones, harmonics, the lot - and backing off the airstream produces a more conventional sound acceptable to anyone.

Product Rectangle Material property Automotive exterior Tints and shades

I did disable the linked G#/C# (etc.), made it a little too much of a workout for my smallest digit. Speaking of which - I was doubtful about those shaped palm keys, but for my smaller hands the palm keys fit like a dream, as does everything else. Normally the frst thing I'd have to do is fit a riser to the palm D.

All for under $1000 (fitted case wasn't included), and I'm told it had been given a recent $500 repad by griff136, nice job Griff... It was a UK sale, but I've put the figures in US$ 'cos I know how much you colonial guys get confused with foreign currencies :bluewink:

More pics (the sellers) on my flickr - click here, I'll be taking some pictures of my own very soon.

#28 ·
Congratulations on your purchase!

Couesnon have used the Monopole designation over a number of models - certainly since the 1930s, if not before.

They have never used the II in their model markings, but Monopole II is generally used to denote the last iteration of design before production stopped. Yours is what is known as a Monopole II. Has it been re-lacquered? The reason I ask is that is has a sling hook I have not seen on a Couesnon before, but there is no obvious lacquer damage that you might expect to see if it had been modified.

The linked G# to the rest of the pinky table, that can be switched off, was patented by Couesnon in 1935.

#29 ·
Chris - hello - don't think it's a relaq as the detail is still quite sharp on the engraving, and close-up the lacquered finish shows a fine example of all the minute scratches of day-to-day wear over the decades. 99.999% sure that it's original, couldn't ever be 100%. Just love the keys and action - they are SOLIDLY built - no chance of any accidental bending there. Really impressed with the horn, it is well made, this tenor could well see me out, it's deposed my 1930's Martin, certainly for the big band.

However it was very 'oil-dry' when I got it, so a quick lube at all the moving/pivoting surfaces gave me a chance to look around it. That 'two-position' sling hook is really neat, isn't it ! It looks original too, no resoldering signs, and that shaped base seems to have always been there -first one I've ever seen with sideways options on any sax.

At 149xx I think mine may well have been towards the end, it's my understanding that the factory burned down in the 70's - and from what I've read here horns dated late 60's have lower numbers than mine.

And yes, the 'toggle' G# link didn't want to disengage, so I removed the grub screw holding it in and dropped the whole thing out, including the spring. I'm sure I'll have a reason to strip it down at some stage, as I said before the action was very dry - could really do with more than the quick initial 'contact point' lube that I gave it - so I'll reinstate it then in a fully working state. Having spent the last few decades playing more than a few vintage horns - after all, I am a C-Tenor enthusiast at heart :bluewink: - that feature isn't imprinted into my muscle memory so I'll not really miss it... Engaged, it did make the B-nat a bit of a marathon push, light as the proverbial feather now, for a horn of that era.