Sax on the Web Forum banner

Couturier Alto sax Is it worth restoring?

7K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  chemist 
#1 ·
I just picked up a Couturier alto sax at an antique store for $45.

The body is in pretty good shape, one very small dent, some of the silver plating is worn.
Main repairs: It is moldy and would need to be cleaned, repadded, etc. The octave key mechanism that goes to the neck is in operable due to being severely bent. Looks like the plug was left out.

This has the Made by Coutuier LaPorte IND on the bell and the serial number is A 8893 L.
Does the A mean alto and the L mean LaPorte?
Looks like produced in 1922-23?
Assuming that the repair could bring it back to its original function, would this be worth the cost and would it play well.

Thanks!

#2 ·
A for alto, L for Low Pitch (which is what you want in vintage 20's era horns). Age can be estimated fairly well with pics of the keywork (split bell keys, alternate trill keys, etc.) Beyond that, I don't know much about this particular brand, I would imagine an overhaul won't really be worth it if you're looking to resell, but if the horn is for you to play and you don't mind spending the $ on it then its up to you. Other members could tell you more.

#5 ·
Pictures are always a must in an identification case.

Having paid so little for this horn, even a complete overhaul would not be a bad investment ( IF you want to play the horn!) whatever brand and type it really is.

The caveat is indeed, if you want to play the horn. The reason being that there is always the possibility that this is a less than commercially valuable saxophone and that its value, once overhauled, won’t surpass the overhaul cost.

One may have bought this : “ for love or money” .

So, if you are doing this " for love” it will be probably a good thing to do, if you are doing this “ for money” then it is probably best to sell as is, the buyer will be a technician who will put his work in it and then produce a sellable horn.

#8 ·
Assuming that the repair could bring it back to its original function, would this be worth the cost and would it play well?
I was waiting to see your photos before commenting. My vote would be no, unless you already have a few saxophones. It might play well… for a 1920s sax, but it certainly would not be worth the expense seeing as it would cost at least $800. You could buy a used yamaha alto (for example) for about $400 that doesn't need any work except adjustment perhaps. And it would have the added advantage of modern key design, etc.

#10 ·
... My vote would be no, unless you already have a few saxophones. ...
I agree. Except you will love the sound of an Couturier alto more than any other, like I do. However in order to experience and decide this, you have to let it be overhauled first.

The serial number indicates this alto as being one of the very first. The alto was introduced December 1922, so it might have left the factory at the fall of 1922. You were pretty close.
The floral engraving is more elaborate than on standard examples, so this one is worth more than $45 dollars for sure.

@ Cheers Milandro!

#9 ·
Nobody cant tell at a distance if THIS saxophone in particular has a decent tone, but THESE saxophones have a more than decent tone.

Despite its " Connish" look due to the " mercedes benz " key guard, this is a Couturier often also mistaken to be a Martin due to the bevelled tonehole

Here an example of a similar saxophone misidentified on the grounds of those confusing characteristics. All of us suffer of the " a little knowledge is dangerous" kind of thing at some stage.

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?213608-Is-this-really-a-Conn-saxophone

We have a SOTW member , La Porte, who is an expert in this field of these saxophones

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/member.php?36900-LaPorte

#12 ·
Thank you, Dan, for the warm welcome!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.