Sax on the Web Forum banner

Trouble with bell notes

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Chris Hood 
#1 ·
I recently bought a yamaha 23. I had a really good tech go through it, seat the pads to a light touch, set the action etc.

The horn is great except for one thing.
I am having trouble with low C B and Bb.

I have another horn that I can play those notes without a thought.

Is it possible that each horn could take a different embouchure to play well. Like I am used to my old horn and this one is just different?

The reason I would even begin to guess that might be the case is, I played a super action 80 once and had the same problem. I remember thinking, wow this thing needs setting up.

Now I wonder if horns can just be THAT different.

Anyone ever experience this?

Chris

#2 ·
I experienced an incident with a bent post that rendered my bell notes difficult to play. Once adjusted, everything was (and remains) fine.

Take it back to the tech.

#7 ·
Finger B1 and very lightly pull up on the front edge of the C# pad. If it moves very easily, look at the two arms between it and the B that exist so when fingering B, the arm keeps the C# from opening. It might need some adjustment. Its a delicate adjustment, because if you put too much of the B lever on the C# lever, the B won't close. If the C# also has a leak when you're not fingering B, it'll make the C burble. Sometimes you'll see the C# seems to be twisted so it has a leak on one side or the other. I usually just twist it back into shape.

#10 ·
I'm going to take it back, I took for granted he had it right with no leaks. I put my leak light in and it has several leaks. Ugghh. Oh well.
This thing has been so aggravating!
Thank you all for the responses, guess you should never assume anything. :)

#11 ·
I'm going to take it back, I took for granted he had it right with no leaks. I put my leak light in and it has several leaks. Ugghh. Oh well.
Congrats for getting on track! G'luck with your horn (and your tech).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.