Sax on the Web Forum banner

Bass mouthpiece Identification

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Instrument Attic 
#1 ·
is there any way to tell a Woodwind Co. Bass mouthpiece from the Baritone piece? Back in the day i had a Woodwind Co. Bari piece and it looked like images of the Bass piece.

thanks

#2 ·
I`m not familiar with those Woodwind Co. pieces, but the difference may only be seen in the width of the table.

Old bass pieces are made for bass reeds exclusively, whereas bari pieces for smaller / narrower bari reeds.
I have three different pickle barrel (?) bass pieces for trial right now and all of them have larger tables than my old Lelandais bari piece, which has the same outer shape and appearance.

Don´t know if this helps.

#3 ·
The table might be wider, but I wouldn't bet my life I could tell the difference. I just now pulled out an old Woodwind bass mouthpiece and compared with stuff like a Caravan baritone mouthpiece, I wouldn't trust my ability to measure. You know, the edge is a little rounded, maybe there's a little parallax, whatever. If there's a difference, it's minute.

It fits on a slightly larger shank cork, though - I think other than the Couf (probably Zimmer) mouthpiece that came with, the Woodwinds had the widest shank bore of any of the rest of the mouthpieces I bought. The Couf bore was much bigger, though. The first Woodwind, I wanted to know if it would fit, and the technical support I had on the line was female, so I asked if it fit her finger - it did - and what her ring size was. I then went to a lady in the office and inquired about her ring size. Try that some time, the reaction can be interesting. Then I asked her to try on a saxophone mouthpiece. I think overall she was a little relieved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.