Sax on the Web Forum banner

Sakshama No USA Florida model tenor piece is kill'in

8K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Saxopholia 
#1 ·
I have ordered ad received a 7* Sakshama lost wax copy of a Otto Link no usa Florida metal tenor piece and it is absolutely what I am looking for in a metal mouthpiece. I have been on hard rubber and on and off metal for awhile, although I started on tenor with a Florida no USa link 5 tip. There is something about that sound that evokes Trane, Hank Mobley, Griff, really, all of the greats and not for simply copying the sound but for the core and the ability to shape the sound with a full "lonesome" plaintive cry that is the modern tenor core sound. I love my hard rubber Ben Allen pieces as they give me the HR side of that sound and somehow add something else. Since getting my 56k Selmer back from Paul Maslin I have been yearning for the right metal piece that gives me the core with articulation and depth to add to the horns already ample character. The Sakshama is it. Both Ben Allen and Sakshama allow the player to describe what he/she wants and try to put something together that resembles that piece. Both are the only set of hands that touches their pieces (that does not sound right but you know what I mean). And both spend many hours on each piece. It shows. This Sakshama piece is very reed friendly, has some resistance and that big core sound I wanted in a metal piece. It has a roll over baffle of some girth and the rails are pretty thin. It has great projection and focus in the sound. I just sold or traded about 6 Links, one modern, 3 no USA Fla. and 2 or 3 small fonts. The Sakshama outplayed all of them without producing a close second in the bunch. I would recommend his work to anyone without condition. I have seen and played all the computer generated pieces and my opinion is that nothing replaces one dude (or dudette) with great skill and desire, working on a piece to make it sing. Sakshama is one of those dudes. This piece is something that makes me want to go make a sound whenever and wherever I can. That's the best endorsement I can make for any piece of equipment.

See less See more
#2 ·
Thank you Tim for the kind words. I do not advertise, there are no paid musicians to endorse my products and I have not given free stuff. It may be a dumb way to make business but I feel this is more down to earth, organic way to grow things and go trough life in general. Your post is much appreciated.

#5 ·
I would certainly put Phil in the mix for guys that make great mouthpieces of their own hand and reface them brilliantly also. I have said in other posts that we are living in a mouthpiece renaissance of sorts with many good and some great makers and re-facers. I played a Phil Tone refaced hr link for 2 years a short while back. Great piece. We are lucky to have these guys plying their trade and taking their ideas to fruition.

#6 ·
Sakshama's work is amazingly good. I have worked with the techniques he applies in copying pieces, and it's incredibly difficult to do well. Sakshama does it amazingly well. It's also very labor intensive. His margin of error is close to zero, and he knows what he's doing. You're not just receiving a mouthpiece from Sakshama--you're receiving a work of art. TraneSpotter, Sakshama, Phil E.-- wonderful people, players, and/or craftsman!

#8 ·
Had a bunch of his pieces and all played superb. My tenor piece now is a Sakshama G Marsalis piece. Longest I been on one mp in many many years. About a year and a half now, never even looked at others. He is a true craftsman and makes what you ask of him.

#10 ·
Sakshama is truly one of the best people I've ever dealt with. I've been playing on his "Shorty" for about 4 yrs. now and the only other mouthpiece I'll ever play again is something else he makes. I know there are other guys here who reface and/or make their own mouthpieces and I'm sure they're all upstanding people, but in my experience, Sakshama is truly the best, bar none.

John

#18 ·
I bought a pair of years ago a tenor Florida 8 * (0.116) at Sakshama, I must say that this mpc is much better than most 4 or 5 Otto Link Florida (USA and non USA) that I could play. This mpc seems really faithful to the original models, facing is excellent (the work of Slobodan is that of a silversmith, both in terms of finishes as the accuracy and consistency of the facing.) More over it is a very charming person, who beyond our contact for this business, has become a friend. Dan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.