Sax on the Web Forum banner

I sound weird

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Stuckond 
#1 ·
I just bought a sax Mendini and don't know if my tone on every note has to do with this saxophone. With the neckpiece it sounds perfect but when i try to play it with the horn and keys sometimes it sounds off and i have to apply different pressure on each note.
I don't know if has to do with my embouchure or my saxophone. I already know this saxophone sucks btw

#4 ·
Hmmm...
Maybe you suck and the sax will be awesome after it's been gone over and adjusted by a tech.
That's the thing that most people do after getting a new horn. ;)

#6 ·
You shouldn't have to apply different pressure for each note. That's an indication that the pads are leaking.

#9 ·
Things like this are pretty easy to solve.

Just play another Sax and if you suck on that one then chances are you suck and it's not the Sax.

Borrow a horn or maybe play test a horn and maybe try a different mouthpiece even an inexpensive one like a Rico.

It's pretty rare for a Sax (even the lesser name inexpensive horns that I've tried) to be all over the place in it's design that the notes are way off, so it's usually the player I would imagine, especially if the player is at a basic level.

Blow with a constant airstream and a comfortable yet working steady embouchure (I personally don't use a bottom lip over the teeth deal and I just use an embouchure like I would if I had a finger in my mouth, replace finger with mouthpiece) and listen to what you are playing and fine adjust the airstream and embouchure until it sounds the best to you and practice playing music as much as you can.

Playing the Sax in a decent way isn't rocket science and it's just basically the players airstream making the reed vibrate and the players airstream control produces good sounding steady notes along with a steady controlled embouchure that doesn't get in the way and start interfering with the airstream control and reed vibration.

Then it's all about coordination using notes and tonguing which is another thing that shouldn't get in the way, and playing music which consists of some scales and arpeggios, so practicing scales and arpeggios helps to play music and music is the goal and not exercises.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.