Sax on the Web Forum banner

P Mauriat bari

6K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  myoozishun 
#1 ·
Hi,

Any experience with P Mauriat baritone sax ?

Any advice will be welcome

Have a nice day
MArc

#2 ·
Take this review with a grain of salt--maybe the whole shaker--because it's from someone who had never
played a bari before today. Last week someone asked me about new baris in the 4-6K price range, and I told
him I couldn't offer specific advice but I'd help him put together a to-try list.

I was in a music store today that had a Mauriat 301 and a Yamaha 52, and they let me play both. I thought
I sounded a lot better on the 301. The keys on the 301 felt more natural to me. There was something about
the Ab key on the Yamaha that kept tripping me up. I liked the Low A key more on the Yamaha, but I don't
put much weight on that because until today I didn't even know where the Low A key was. The 301 has two
features I liked--three rings for the strap hook and an F# key. You have to step up to a 62 to get an F# key
on a Yamaha.

The Mauriat 301 seems like a good deal for a Low A bari. The salesperson said that it's the same as the more
expensive 300 models but with less fancy engraving and not as much variety in finishes. I don't know if those
are the only differences. Mauriat also has the 302 model without the Low A, but there doesn't seem to be a
difference in price between the 301 and 302. So I'm really impressed with the 301.

#3 ·
I have played a 1990s Selmer Paris SA80II low A as well as Selmer USA, Signet, and Bundy Low A Baris, and Jupiter (yuck!) XO , P. Mauriat, and Yamaha Low A Baris. So far nothing even compares to the Selmer! As far as price vs ergos and sound though, it goes to the Mauriat. But if a used Selmer fell in the same price range as a new Mauriat, I'd buy the Selmer. Not for brand name, just best ergos and tone :)

#6 ·
You buy one? I never found one priced low enough for my cheapskate wallet! If I ever trip on a used one priced low enough in the future, it is still on the docket :)

#7 ·
I know what you are saying. The prices of all baris made by any manufacturer have all gone up a lot more than altos, tenors, and sopranos.

If you have interest in a Low Bb horn here's one that I would be very tempted to buy if I hadn't just bought a Low Bb Barone bari from SOTW member Kritavi about this time last year.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/P-Mauriat-P...358997?hash=item5425ad2c95:g:9PwAAOSwAYtWIAtE

I'd bet this is a very nice playing horn if it's anything like my Barone which I really like. It's still a little pricey so I'd be tempted to call Music 123 directly and see if they would make me a little better deal on it if I bought it straight off their site and not through eflay.

I must admit I'm a Low Bb convert. 90% of my gigs are played on my Yani because so many of the tunes the funk band does require the Low A but at home, when I'm not prepping for something and just feel like playing bari, it's always the Low Bb horn I'm reaching for.

#8 ·
I just bought a brand new PMB-302GL a couple of weeks ago after being presented with a price I couldn't pass up! I wanted the UL, but the savings in the GL was unbelievable!

Anyway, I've got a few hours and one gig on the horn now. I'm loving the action and response. I'm getting lots of compliments on it, but it's hard for me to be objective from behind the horn. I still get the feeing it doesn't have the balls that my Conn 12m has, but I'm able to do things on the PMB-302 I've never been able to do on the 12m.

Hopefully my experience only gets better from here!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.