Sax on the Web Forum banner

"Really Big Blues" - is anything like it??

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  RobBari 
#1 ·
There are several really fun contrabass and subcontrabass demo videos out there - but nothing seems to be as perfect a fit as the "Really Big Blues" on the Eppelsheim site. That one shows (to my ears) that the CB isn't just interesting or plausible - it really works. (Sort of like "Mandy" did for CB sarrusophone.)

Randy Emerich has other videos on youtube, but this one is a cut above - wow!!

#2 ·
A link would help.

Most everything I've heard from those contras (especially the Tubax) sound like growls or an earthquake of questionable pitch. Are you referring to Sidney Bechet on sarrusophone from the mid-1920's when you mention "Mandy"? Like, MANDY MAKE UP YOUR MIND . . . by Clarence Williams and the Blue Five? DAVE

#5 ·
Thanks @DrWill, that clip is nice - that short guy really rocks the big horn. It's a different kind of playing than Randy Emerich's, but it's lively. I'd love to have seen that live.

That's a good example of CB covering a bass guitar part - seems like a natural fit to me. Those who question the need for low notes might consider that a EEb CB does not go quite as low as a five-string bass.

@Dolson, yes I was talking about that Sidney Bechet solo.

#6 ·
Sax.co.uk keeps posting more videos with Scott Jenkins on their contra - besides "Uptown Funk", check out "Royals", the movie theme pastiche ("12 duets"), ans "Smooth Criminal". Great fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.