Review & comparison: Echo Brass 3-Band (Brilhart copy) tenor ligature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Review & comparison: Echo Brass 3-Band (Brilhart copy) tenor ligature

IMG_3318.jpgIMG_3320.jpg

I've spent the last couple of days with my new tenor ligature from Echo Brass. It's of course a copy / reissue of the Brilhart 3-band with plastic reed plate and epoxy-covered screw heads. The Brilharts are selling for $500-$1000 lately, and I've really loved the ones I've played, so it's great to see someone finally make a modern version.

I bought it from Brian at Getasax, who is great to work with and delivered it quickly.

So here's what I think of it:

Quality: It's very well made, with nice attention to detail. Seems to be a very well-built, meticulous copy of the original.

Fit: I tested it on 4 different tenor mouthpieces (hard rubber), and it fit all of them nicely.

Function: The big epoxy (bakelite?) heads on the screws make it difficult to really crank down to tighten it. While it holds the reed as securely in place as well as many other ligatures, and I found that it didn't clamp it down as well as Rovner or standard 2-screw ligatures, so the reed / lig moved when I adjusted the mouthpiece.

Sound: Where the rubber meets the road! I pulled out a couple of my other ligatures to do a good comparison:
    IMG_3278.jpg
    In short, I really, really like it.
    The Echo lig had the biggest, fattest sound and the best altissimo overall. The top 3 were the Echo, a Harrison, and a Francois Louis. The Harrison, while noticeably darker than its modern Rico H reissue, is really great all around. The Francois Louis is my favorite from a playing standpoint, as it has the most buzz and richness throughout. The Vandoren Optimum was less free / more restrictive, and somehow made the reed feel softer. The Rovner holds the reed in place the best, which I do appreciate, though it was darker and less vibrant. The stock, standard 2-screw ligature was the surprise of the bunch: big, buzzy, great altissimo, and clamps the reed down as securely as the Rovner.
    I tested the Echo on 4 different mouthpieces: 1 classical, and 3 jazz - dark (Drake Getz), medium, and bright (JodyJazz JET). The Echo beat out the other ligatures consistently. On the classical setup it had a nice and warm sound that wasn't stuffy. All 3 jazz mouthpieces responded really well to the Echo. It seems to open up the sound with a big middle range, not bright & buzzy or fat & tubby, just a good big sound.

Summary: The Echo Brass is a great ligature with a wonderful sound and a great retro vibe. It's not cheap (currently $170ish). I love that it does such a great job recreating the iconic Brilhart. It doesn't clamp the reed down as securely as I'd like. If you're just looking to hold your reed on a mouthpiece, keep your stock 2-screw brass lig. If want everything a Brilhart has (except for collector value) for 1/5 the price, you need an Echo.

PS - one quirky thing I loved is how the sides of the reed plate line up so perfectly with the edges of my Rico reed:
    IMG_3317.jpg
    Seriously, just feast your OCD eyes on this. Soak it in for awhile. It's such a thing of beauty. So perfect. So satisfying.
    Last edited by Instrument Attic; 05-07-2015 at 06:15 PM.
    youtube.com/user/instrumentattic
    current Attic occupants: sop Holton | alto Silversonic | tenor SBA, Conn stencil | bari Vito (Yana) | bass Conn | mouthpieces galore

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Review & comparison: Echo Brass 3-Band (Brilhart copy) tenor ligature

Update: After spending some more time with it, I still love the big fat sound I get with this ligature. And I can get it to clamp the reed down nice & tight, though it's tough to do.
    Last edited by SAXISMYAXE; 03-23-2015 at 10:56 PM.
    current Attic occupants: sop Holton | alto Silversonic | tenor SBA, Conn stencil | bari Vito (Yana) | bass Conn | mouthpieces galore

Discombobulated SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013-2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Review & comparison: Echo Brass 3-Band (Brilhart copy) tenor ligature

Quote Originally Posted by Instrument Attic View Post
    Update: After spending some more time with it, I still love the big fat sound I get with this ligature. And I can get it to clamp the reed down nice & tight, though it's tough to do.
    Thanks for the review. A lot of people don't want to clamp the reed tightly so that "negative" won't be an issue for them.
    FS: Many Alto Saxophone Mouthpieces

Q: After all these years, what do you practice?
    Sonny Rollins: Everything — but in no particular order.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rackety Sax View Post
    Thanks for the review. A lot of people don't want to clamp the reed tightly so that "negative" won't be an issue for them.
    My neck cork is pretty snug for my current mouthpiece, so I like a ligature that keeps the reed in place. But I used a Ripamonti for years, so I understand the other side of the coin too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have also bought the Echo Brass ligature for my alto; I got the white epoxy plate. I use it with my Selmer Soloist (1960's) that is opened to about a .082, and it works amazing. I found it to be very consistent throughout the register and very colorful in sound. They sent me two different type of screw sets, as well. One of the sets has one hard brass for the rear and one soft brass for the front which I can screw more accurately and smoothly. I had to put a little oil on the screws at first, but it sounds fantastic. I've now used it for a little over a month now and I don't plan on trying any more ligs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's where to get this ligature on the new website: http://www.getasax.com/product-categ...ies/ligatures/