Sax on the Web Forum banner

Reasonable Price - Bass Sax

10K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  milandro 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

Starting to look for a bass sax. I am considering the following:

Old Conn, or stencil - probably keyed only to Eb
Old Buescher, or stencil - probably keyed only to Eb
French (for example, Noblet) - but not Selmer ($$$$)
No recent Chinese
No recent pro models (like Selmer, Keilwerth, Tubax)

In condition ready to play, although not necessarily new pads.

What do you all think is a reasonable selling (not asking) price for these, from a shop, or from an individual? Just give me your opinions, if you only have an opinion on one or two, that's OK, just trying to get as many data points as possible. It seems like shops are asking around $7500 for Conns and Bueschers, somewhat less for French. What does that mean for actual selling price?

Thanks!

#32 ·
I have had another HP bass in the workshop, it was a kholert from the same age( current owner is a trad player who loves it). High pitch is a real negative but then most modern flutes ( expensive flutes!) are A442 nowdays. And I noticed german orchestra's are A443 , I have seen old school conns that are A444HP go for a lot on eBay to collectors, the last was a HPconn sop that went for 2K to someone in korea. I am not defending this bass saying its worth a lot, it will be priced accordingly. Myself I am after a brogan A432 tenor sax......I play with a guitarist and he can tune with me to what ever horn I choose to play..........thanks Milandro! ( for stating the obvious!)

#33 ·
The pitch of an high pitch saxophone is considerably higher that of flutes , more in the range of 457Hz.

Many play older flutes together with modern instruments and get away with it, I am not aware of anyone who can do this with a saxophone although there have been several claiming they can do this.

What’s obvious to you might not be obvious to others.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.