Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Taimur joins Northwestern faculty in Fall 2015

Well, that answers that question!

http://www.music.northwestern.edu/ab...l-faculty.html

Now we wait and see who will teach at UNC and also in Minnesota (as Rousseau is retiring at the end of this school year)
    Kyle Mechmet
    Classical Saxophonist
    www.kylemechmet.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Discombobulated SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013-2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Taimur joins Northwestern faculty in Fall 2015

Thanks for the news. I've been wondering what was going on with this and had not seen the announcement.

No reflection on Mr. Sullivan, but is anyone else surprised that NU would hire someone without a doctorate (if I'm reading Sullivan's bio correctly) into this position? I would have expected that to be an absolute prerequisite - but then again I must admit I don't really know what I'm talking about (I know it obviously wasn't a prerequisite when Hemke was hired, but that was a long time ago and with all the doctoral grads the universities are cranking out you'd think they'd at least like to suck one of them up into a prestigious job).

It's also interesting that Hemke, Sinta, and Rousseau would all be electing to retire so close in time - and that they all continued on in their positions so long. They must have enjoyed their work. I salute all three of them for their long and distinguished teaching and performance careers and wish them well in retirement.
    FS: Many Alto Saxophone Mouthpieces

FS: Tenor Mouthpieces

Q: After all these years, what do you practice?
    Sonny Rollins: Everything — but in no particular order.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One would think that to be the case, but I believe an established professional and teaching career is often more desirable. It is standard policy for universities to require a Master's degree to teach. The job listing for the UT-Austin position reads:
    "Masters degree or professional equivalent required. A diversified portfolio including a demonstrated record of excellence as a performing artist on the saxophone and demonstrated experience with teaching, recruiting and sustaining a strong undergraduate and graduate saxophone studio at the university level. The committee and the university value the candidate’s additional strengths in other areas of the music school. Some examples include ensemble leadership, chamber music, music education, and the overall musical life of the university. The successful candidate is expected to maintain professional activities appropriate for tenure at a Tier 1 research university."
    Kyle Mechmet
    Classical Saxophonist
    www.kylemechmet.com

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems like almost a cruel joke to me. Students commit the time, effort, and money to get the doctoral degree, then when a prestige position comes open once in a blue moon, the university hires someone without one. What then, other than personal fulfillment, is the point of pursuing the degree? On a more practical level, how is a professor who has never done doctoral research supposed to effectively supervise students who are pursuing that degree?

Forum Contributor 2013 SimonJazzSax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rackety Sax View Post
    It seems like almost a cruel joke to me. Students commit the time, effort, and money to get the doctoral degree, then when a prestige position comes open once in a blue moon, the university hires someone without one. What then, other than personal fulfillment, is the point of pursuing the degree? On a more practical level, how is a professor who has never done doctoral research supposed to effectively supervise students who are pursuing that degree?
    What you just said is the pitfall of the Academic system. I think the best person for the job should get it, regardless of the degree he or she has.

I know...I know...someone will say "what then is the point of investing the money and time to get these degrees". Well...personal fulfillment, the gaining of knowledge, networking and a stepping stone to enter the world knowing that you are ready for the journey (educationally speaking) are 4 decent reasons.

I know a few people that don't have a masters, yet are masterful players and amazing teachers. I also, know a few people with Doctorates that aren't as good at teaching and playing as those other guys. Who would you rather have as your teacher? The guy with the piece of paper or the guy with more knowledge that can communicate it to you better? I know my answer.
    Just remember to make the best MUSIC you have the ability to make. If you do that, you are a successful musician.
    www.simonhardingmusic.com

Distinguished Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having a doctorate does not mean you are automatically qualified for any job. I know people with doctorates who shouldn't be teaching anything. Taimur is as qualified as anyone and is one of the world's best saxophonists. NU made a good choice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Having a doctorate does not mean you are automatically qualified for any job. I know people with doctorates who shouldn't be teaching anything. Taimur is as qualified as anyone and is one of the world's best saxophonists. NU made a good choice.
    You misinterpreted my main point, which is that in most academic fields, a doctorate is a minimum qualification, not an automatic qualification, for a tenured faculty position.

Distinguished Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You misinterpreted my main point, which is that in most academic fields, a doctorate is a minimum qualification, not an automatic qualification, for a tenured faculty position.
    I didn't really miss the point. I was trying to say, that in the same way that those that have a doctorate aren't automatically qualified for a job, some that do not have a doctorate are qualified. If a school is looking for the best candidate, and best fit for them, they will overlook a minimum qualification like that if the person clearly has the experience and teaching qualifications, plus any other tangibles. There is also another lesson to be learned here. If someone does't think they are qualified for a position because they don't meet all the minimum requirements, you should still apply if you feel you have something to bring to the table.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still confused as to why Northwestern wouldn't hire a Hemke student for the job. Still, Taimur Sullivan is one of the best choices they could have made.
    "Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead."
    - Charles Bukowski

Formerly the Big Island, now on the road in an RV
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MFA is MQ for most fine arts positions. If the position had been listed with an MQ of doctorate, the EEO officer would have been forced to only allow only people with doctorates to be hired, or even interviewed. You can't "overlook" an MQ. You're wasting your time if you don't meet the MQs. Candidates that don't meet the MQs for a position are filed in the circular file cabinet.

I seriously doubt that even a DQ of 'Hemke student' would have gotten past the EEO officer. You must realize that hiring is done by committee at universities, and probably at least one of the committee members was from outside the music department. Also, it's not accurate to assume that anyone offered the job would take it. Sullivan could have been a second or third choice ( I doubt it, though)
    Sound guy theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- 3dB)
    Sax player theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- .010" at the tip)
    "Free jazz is the vegemite of the musical world. It's an acquired taste."-J. Jacques

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mind you, Taimur holds the "equivalent" of a DMA. Most jobs require a DMA or equivalent. Some are specific to DMA for position ie. assistant professor,professor, etc...

What Taimur has done on a daily basis is perform new literature at the highest level, commission new works, record with an internationally recognised ensemble, teach emerging students, tour, write documents.... pretty much what a DMA is learning to do. I would think he could help anyone getting a DMA. As a DMA student you have a committee for your dissertation or DMA project, and one of those is usually from an academic area such as musicology to help you with writing. So, yes, i believe him to be very qualified, and the support system is in place for the student when needed.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Northwestern hired the best "available" for the position. A degree from NU or any other particular university doesn't make one the best available.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The DMA is just an academic starting point. It definitely does not someone one is qualified. In fact, there are so many schools offering this degree now tha5 it has lost ther power.
    now, positions say DMA or matching experience. These world class players earn and deserve the positions with out a DMA.
    The school definitely made the right choice. So saying someone gets filed away if they dont meet the degree qualifications is surely incorrect.
    Also, people without a DMA degree can be part of committees to award the degree. The committee usually needs to have tenured professors and Doctorates included. A group of people award a DMA, not just one. So Taimur can certainly be on a committee to award.
    Finally, i imagine this is a constant question for committees. Hire the DMA or hire the experience. The fact of the matter is that usually have the edge as it IS an academic institution.
    “If you transcribe me, you're my student, but if you transcribed who I've transcribed, you're my peer.”
    -Michael Brecker

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2013-2016
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hakukani View Post
    MFA is MQ for most fine arts positions. If the position had been listed with an MQ of doctorate, the EEO officer would have been forced to only allow only people with doctorates to be hired, or even interviewed. You can't "overlook" an MQ. You're wasting your time if you don't meet the MQs. Candidates that don't meet the MQs for a position are filed in the circular file cabinet.

I seriously doubt that even a DQ of 'Hemke student' would have gotten past the EEO officer. You must realize that hiring is done by committee at universities, and probably at least one of the committee members was from outside the music department. Also, it's not accurate to assume that anyone offered the job would take it. Sullivan could have been a second or third choice ( I doubt it, though)
    Some universities have unofficial policies against hiring their own students too. It's actually pretty rare to see someone with a doctorate from a particular school end up with an academic job at said school, although there are PLENTY of exceptions.
    Current setups:
    Yamaha YSS-875EX, Selmer Soloist D, Ishimori lig,Hemke 3.5
    Yamaha YAS-875EXS, Selmer Air Flow C*, Ishimori lig,Hemke 3.5
    Yamaha YTS-875EX, Selmer Air Flow C*, Ishimori lig, Hemke 3.5
    Kessler Solist Bari, Selmer Air Flow C*, BG Tradition lig, Vandoren 3

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2013-2016
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius1 View Post
    Well, that answers that question!

http://www.music.northwestern.edu/ab...l-faculty.html

Now we wait and see who will teach at UNC and also in Minnesota (as Rousseau is retiring at the end of this school year)
    Preston Duncan has been hired at Minnesota. He has a DMA and is a BAMF.
    Current setups:
    Yamaha YSS-875EX, Selmer Soloist D, Ishimori lig,Hemke 3.5
    Yamaha YAS-875EXS, Selmer Air Flow C*, Ishimori lig,Hemke 3.5
    Yamaha YTS-875EX, Selmer Air Flow C*, Ishimori lig, Hemke 3.5
    Kessler Solist Bari, Selmer Air Flow C*, BG Tradition lig, Vandoren 3

Forum Administrator and Contributor 2009 drakesaxprof's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW, none of the woodwind faculty at NU's Bienen school hold doctorates. http://www.music.northwestern.edu/fa...nds/index.html

All are, without a doubt, among the finest artist/teachers in the country. The ubiquity of the doctorate is 1) a recent phenomenon and 2) most important at smaller schools in order to elevate prestige. When you are talking about NU (or a dozen other top-tier music schools), faculty often come from the ranks of, for example, the Chicago Symphony. The DMA is great, and reflects extensive work and research on the part of the holder, but membership in one of the world's greatest orchestras (or equivalent professional experience in the case of Taimur via Prism) necessarily trumps it.
    I lean and loafe at my ease, observing a spear of summer grass. - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass
    jimromainmusic.com
    oasisquartet.com

I am a Conn-Selmer and D'Addario artist, and Membership Director for the North American Saxophone Alliance.

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster
    Forum Contributor 2007-present
    Hawaiian homey, German resident, doing time in Texas
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ref: doctorate as a qualifier. When I just had a masters, I got a one-of-a-kind position with a school system and beat out a guy who had a doctorate from Eastman. Some years down the road after I got my doctorate, I missed out on a job when the employer choose someone who was more highly qualified (world class reputation) who didn't have a doctorate. There are some universities that are hard over about their faculty having doctorates.

I don't think the doctorate (and there are some exceptions I was just reading about the other day) is or isn't necessarily a requirement. It is a good-to-have qualification. It can be a tie-breaker. In that regard, it would be prudent for anyone intending a career in academia to get one. What makes a committee choose one candidate over another doesn't necessarily have any obvious logic to it. It's kind of difficult to really come to any firm conclusion as to what attributes one candidate has that's attractive or a turn-off to a hiring committee.

"Even if I could play like Wynton Marsalis, I wouldn't play like Wynton Marsalis."
    - - Chet Baker

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto
    Julius Keilwerth SX90R tenor

Forum Contributor 2014-2015 Allen Mouthpieces's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Without starting a new thread, I know Taimur is good/great/excellent/outstanding. But since Taimur is replacing McAllister, just "how good" is Timothy McAllister compared to the rest of the Sinta's former classical saxophone students and players in other schools of classical saxophone? I love his playing, but I have not had the benefit of studying with him or meeting him. It's just a curiosity thing as McAllister has been "university hopping" since U of A, to ASU, to NU, to Michigan.
    "The variations in design of a mouthpiece are rigidly circumscribed by acoustical laws. Respect nature's laws and wrest from her the most she has to give; break these laws, and there will surely be penalties to pay." -- Otto Link

Allen Mouthpieces, New Orleans, LA

Formerly the Big Island, now on the road in an RV
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J.Max View Post
    Some universities have unofficial policies against hiring their own students too. It's actually pretty rare to see someone with a doctorate from a particular school end up with an academic job at said school, although there are PLENTY of exceptions.
    Policies are irrelevant. The law is that an MQ is an MQ. I did not see the job description, but I DO know that an MQ is a 'minimum qualification'. If that is not met, then the CV goes into the circular file. If there are irregularites, the lawsuits start.

The takeaway here is that ya gotta look at the advertisement--MQs and DQs. After that, it's a committee, interview questions vetted by EEO officer...
    Sound guy theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- 3dB)
    Sax player theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- .010" at the tip)
    "Free jazz is the vegemite of the musical world. It's an acquired taste."-J. Jacques

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drakesaxprof View Post
    FWIW, none of the woodwind faculty at NU's Bienen school hold doctorates. http://www.music.northwestern.edu/fa...nds/index.html

All are, without a doubt, among the finest artist/teachers in the country. The ubiquity of the doctorate is 1) a recent phenomenon and 2) most important at smaller schools in order to elevate prestige. When you are talking about NU (or a dozen other top-tier music schools), faculty often come from the ranks of, for example, the Chicago Symphony. The DMA is great, and reflects extensive work and research on the part of the holder, but membership in one of the world's greatest orchestras (or equivalent professional experience in the case of Taimur via Prism) necessarily trumps it.
    Interesting point.

Taimur Sullivan is performing a concerto with wind ensemble by James Aikman at NU on February 26 if anyone is in the area: http://planitpurple.northwestern.edu/event/486291

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast