Sax on the Web Forum banner

Help with "Pinched Throat" while playing soprano

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  minicooper 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone - reaching out for some good advice and I know I'll find it here...

I've been playing sop for about 7 years. I'm sort of a late bloomer; I played alto and tenor in high school and then stopped playing for close to 20 years. After my "hiatus" I decided to play soprano. Bought a Yamaha YSS-475, started taking lessons, as I didn't really remember much of the instruction I had in high school. I must admit I haven't been the most diligent at practicing, but I do practice as much as I can. I mainly play at church 3 or 4 times a year. I'm decent, but still trying to improve my sound.

In looking for a particular sound, I decided to try a Kessler Performance Series Soprano. Got it yesterday and it's a beautiful instrument. Unpacked everything and put it together and started to play a few scales and arpeggios. For some reason, I couldn't get middle D, E, and F to come out right. Tried and few times with no results. I called Dave Kessler and described the issue and we went through a few exercises to diagnose the problem. After I played a note over the phone, Dave determined that I should try a softer reed and that I was "pinching my throat". I asked Dave how come I was able to play my Yam with ease and he said it was because of the bore of the Yamaha and that Yamahas are easier to play and encourage lazy playing in that they don't force the player to become proficient and are more forgiving when it comes to embouchure. He also mentioned that when switching from Japanese styled horns to a horn based more on French styled horns (like Selmer Paris which the Kessler is based on) is when more casual players (like me) will have issues and discover some of the hidden issues that only surface when playing a sax that requires more diligence.

Dave has a very interesting blog, check it out, http://www.kesslermusic.com/blog/?p=654#more-654

Now, my question is have any of your had similar experience? And can you offer any advice? I play my Yamaha with ease up and down the horn and I've gotten used to it. I don't love the sound of the Yamaha as I find it thin and broad. I'm not sure whether I should just continue with improving my tone/embouchure on the Yam or take the time on the Kessler, which I only have 2 more days to try out until my trial period is up. Or if there are other sax options out there, like maybe I should try a Yani. Help please

See less See more
#2 ·
Also - I did want to note that when I play bari for a few minutes and then come back to soprano, that it's easier to play so. Could this be because playing bari relaxes my embouchure? If so, it's happening subconsciously...

#3 ·
Yes, it takes some time to get used to a new instrument. So take your time and experiment a bit with reed strenght. And yes, if your embouchure has to much tension, it can be helpful to practice an instrument, which needs a more relaxed way to blow. I do this sometimes on flute: Practicing on bass- or alto flute can do wonders for my flute playing.

#5 ·
Can't make the decision for you because I've never played a Kessler, but for several years the Yamaha 475 was my soprano and I really liked it.

By comparison, I was playing a wind ensemble concert and needed a soprano and just happened to mess around with a section mate's curved Yanagisawa and it was amazing. It was so easy playing, like breathing. But Yanagisawas are known for making excellent sopranos and that one was considerably more expensive than my Yamaha. Like I wrote, I don't really know your situation from the Kessler side, but I don't see any reason based on what you wrote, to make the trade from the Yamaha to the Kessler. It doesn't sound to me that, having played the YSS 475 for some years and my being familiar with what you can get out of that horn, that the switch is giving you added value for your money. Furthermore, are you sure, that as Dave said, the Yamahas being "easier to play " and being "more forgiving" is a bad thing?

#6 ·
Can't make the decision for you because I've never played a Kessler, but for several years the Yamaha 475 was my soprano and I really liked it.. It doesn't sound to me that, having played the YSS 475 for some years and my being familiar with what you can get out of that horn, that the switch is giving you added value for your money. Furthermore, are you sure, that as Dave said, the Yamahas being "easier to play " and being "more forgiving" is a bad thing?
I agree with you, switching to the Kessler isn't going add any real value for the money. As a matter of fact, I went to a local store today and tried out a bunch of sops, including Yanis and Selmer Paris. The one that had the best sound to me was the Selmer Paris 51; the ergonomics were great and I loved the sound and...I had no problems with any note up and down the horn. If anything I will keep playing the Yamaha and maybe one day, I'll save up and get a Selmer Paris. In the meantime, the Kessler has to go back :-(. Also, I think easy to play isn't a bad thing at all!
Thanks for the advice

#8 ·
I'm using my Missing Link (that you made for me :) )but I actually think the real issue was the Kessler horn. I used the same mouthpiece and reed combo today on my Yam, and 4 other sops that I played at a local shop, including Yanagisawa and a Selmer Paris, all with no issues. Not saying anything is wrong with the Kessler, but I don't think its the horn for me. I have no issues on my Yamaha

#11 ·
Just following up on this thread...

Turns out the real issue from my original post was the Kessler horn. Got a call from Dave a few days ago. After I sent the horn back, they figured out there was a leak in the upper stack! So it wasn't me! The Kessler's are really great people to work with.

I'm going to visit their shop soon and try out a few horns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.