Review,,, Lupifaro Platinum Tenor Saxophone. - Page 9

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Review,,, Lupifaro Platinum Tenor Saxophone.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotssax View Post
    Which techs? How many?
    Several in London. I'm not going to mention names because the whole thing then gets personal, but I think it's fairly obvious that the Lupifaro is not as well built as some other makes.

"Opinion is what exists between ignorance and knowledge." Anon.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe he's moved on to a Lebayle now.
    That's what I heard too. Also, although Lefkowitz-Brown advertised that he used a Bahia, I have it on the best authority that it was actually a BopBoy.

(formerly borganiboy) Borganiboy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Live recording from my new side project, my alter ego to my DB Sound Project this is my Jazz Clams on our 1st gig last night, another to night. This is a standards band. Setup which I love is my Lupifaro, Andy Sheppard 10 tip mp, selmer 404 lig and a jazz select 2 M reed and some fat bloke blowing it, lol

https://soundcloud.com/jazz-clams/summer-times-1
    Wedding Solo Sax www.smoothsaxsound.com Tenor Hanson LX, Andy Sheppard Autograph 10 mp, Soprano Hanson LX Van V16 www.jazzclams.com
    Alto www.dbsoundproject.com www.youtube.com/saxdaveboy www.soundcloud.com/db-sound-project

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveR View Post
    That's what I heard too. Also, although Lefkowitz-Brown advertised that he used a Bahia, I have it on the best authority that it was actually a BopBoy.
    https://youtu.be/XNolfIKEAyM

But like I say he's already moved on to a Lebayle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Several in London. I'm not going to mention names because the whole thing then gets personal, but I think it's fairly obvious that the Lupifaro is not as well built as some other makes.
    Mine is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine is.
    Glad to hear it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://youtu.be/XNolfIKEAyM

But like I say he's already moved on to a Lebayle.
    Yes, I know. It's a conundrum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Borganiboy View Post
    Live recording from my new side project, my alter ego to my DB Sound Project this is my Jazz Clams on our 1st gig last night, another to night. This is a standards band. Setup which I love is my Lupifaro, Andy Sheppard 10 tip mp, selmer 404 lig and a jazz select 2 M reed and some fat bloke blowing it, lol

https://soundcloud.com/jazz-clams/summer-times-solo-section
    Nice one. You're sounding great on that setup!
    Despite what I've been told I think I might have to give the Lupifaro some more attention.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine is.
    Mine also. As some know I've owned crazy amounts of great tenors, lots and lots and for ME the sound and intonation is the important bit but again I've got a thing for more the bespoke handmade horn. A bit ruff at the edges but Italian horns are just my bag. But I also adore my Yamahas which are made so exact. Just back in from 2nd new band gig and of course I enjoyed playing my Lupifaro tenor and sop. Lol
    Wedding Solo Sax www.smoothsaxsound.com Tenor Hanson LX, Andy Sheppard Autograph 10 mp, Soprano Hanson LX Van V16 www.jazzclams.com
    Alto www.dbsoundproject.com www.youtube.com/saxdaveboy www.soundcloud.com/db-sound-project

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice one. You're sounding great on that setup!
    Despite what I've been told I think I might have to give the Lupifaro some more attention.
    Italian horns I've had and that's 4 Borganis, a Rampone Cazzani R1 Jazz and my Lupifaro tenor and soprano all for sure don't have that exact top spec neat finish but all these horns give me something I like and that's sound. There sure different

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having some fun at to nights gig on our funky A Love Supreme on my Lupifaro setup. A bit mental and wild but funky

https://soundcloud.com/jazz-clams/love-supremes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I looked at his Facebook and apparently Fred made him a custom piece, so I'm sure that's good enough reason to switch over.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2015-2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Borganiboy View Post
    I been wanting to try a Forestone. They sound and look nice for sure. For me from all my past tenors going just on sound, intonation and ease my Lupifaro just ticks my boxes. There very handmade for sure like my Borganis and Rampone. These Italian horns are very different and you can see there handmade . Selmer, Yamaha and Yani of course are handmade but they are very neat, tidy and exact in there finish and build. As for techs saying they wont last I don't get that bit. In the end its great we have so many great horns at the moment to choose from.
    Davey, I know you have moved on, but I just saw this tidbit today:

http://www.bestsaxophonewebsiteever....nes-and-reeds/

"Luca Cardinali began repairing wind instruments at an early age with master repairman Galavotti. In 1990, Luca obtained his music degree in clarinet and then continued to study the saxophone as well as work as a repairman. Luca had been a designer and product manager at the Borgani saxophone factory for over 5 years, during this experience he performed custom work on saxophones belonging to such famous players as Phil Woods, George Garzone, Lee Konitz, Jerry Bergonzi, M. Urbani, M. Giammarco, and F. Santucci . In 1995, Luca decided to open Atelier Cardinali to provide repair work as well as build custom instruments for professional musicians."

So there is a connection to the Mother Ship!
    Go for The Tone,

g

"When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

As a Veteran for Peace, I am already against the next war.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr G View Post
    Davey, I know you have moved on, but I just saw this tidbit today:

http://www.bestsaxophonewebsiteever....nes-and-reeds/

"Luca Cardinali began repairing wind instruments at an early age with master repairman Galavotti. In 1990, Luca obtained his music degree in clarinet and then continued to study the saxophone as well as work as a repairman. Luca had been a designer and product manager at the Borgani saxophone factory for over 5 years, during this experience he performed custom work on saxophones belonging to such famous players as Phil Woods, George Garzone, Lee Konitz, Jerry Bergonzi, M. Urbani, M. Giammarco, and F. Santucci . In 1995, Luca decided to open Atelier Cardinali to provide repair work as well as build custom instruments for professional musicians."

So there is a connection to the Mother Ship!
    Yea he knows his stuff Dr. He designed a hell of a horn. Top job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Resurrecting this thread: +1 for the Lupifaro Platinum tenor. Just got one, and I like it a lot. Really nice action, mouthpiece friendly, tunes very well, and with a very balanced tone: bright, clear altissimo and a tenory bottom end, delivered in a solidly built instrument that's neither heavy nor light.

As Davey notes, it's certainly not the neatest finishing Ã* la Yani Yamaha factories, but it's unquestionably hand assembled/ handmade, the post ribs are neatly done, and the keywork is tight, assembled to a good tolerance, and utilises Selmer-style point screws and sprung, metal rod inserts. It is easy to adjust and holds adjustment as well as the best. The padding is done very well with pads properly coated with shellac. Another aspect of finish that's top class is the extensive engraving. I'd like to have seen all springs selected for their correct size, rather than one of two of the longer 'standard ones' snipped off to fit.

The sound is not as rich/ deeply toned as my lovely SML rev D; it's a bit brighter on the whole, but in its place it's got a direct and centered sound, is easy to switch play between smooth or gritty, with a natural balance that's probably pretty neutral with excellent projection. it's very, very adaptable and I think if I had to sum up what I like most about it, that would be the thing.
    Last edited by Enthusiast65; 04-20-2017 at 08:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Enthusiast65 View Post
    Resurrecting this thread: +1 for the Lupifaro Platinum tenor. Just got one, and I like it a lot. Really nice action, mouthpiece friendly, tunes very well, and with a very balanced tone: bright, clear altissimo and a tenory bottom end, delivered in a solidly built instrument that's neither heavy nor light.

As Davey notes, it's certainly far from the neatest finishing Ã* la Selmer, Yani, Yamaha factories, but it's unquestionably hand assembled/ handmade, the post ribs are neatly done, and the keywork is tight, assembled to a good tolerance, and utilises Selmer-style pivot screws and sprung, metal rod inserts. It is easy to adjust and holds adjustment as well as the best. The padding is done very well with pads properly coated with shellac. Another aspect of finish that's top class is the extensive engraving. I'd like to have seen all springs selected for their correct size, rather than one of two of the longer 'standard ones' snipped off to fit.

The sound is not as rich/ deeply toned as my lovely SML rev D; it's a bit brighter on the whole, but in its place it's got a direct and centered sound, is easy to switch play between smooth or gritty, with a natural balance that's probably pretty neutral with excellent projection. it's very, very adaptable and I think if I had to sum it up what I like most about it, that would be the thing.
    Nice review, how do you compare this to the Borgs you've owned?
    "Can't never could."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by buddy lee View Post
    Nice review, how do you compare this to the Borgs you've owned?
    Hi Jay, hope all's well and you're still enjoying the Ûberhauled Borg UL Jubilee you bought from me.

Tonally it's different to a Borg Jubilee. Here goes:

On the one hand the Borg is perhaps a bit more spread, whereas the Lupi is a shade brighter and more direct. Maybe sounding a bit more like the gold plated Borg (tried all of them when visiting Macerata and those finishes do make a surprising difference). (The SML Rev D is sweeter and deeper/ broader-sounding than either, by way of a vintage benchmark). Both do a great job in the altissimo, perhaps the Borg shading it? The Lupi's tone is very strong and complex. The Lupi's response in the lower octave around F and below feels more natural to me. The Lupi's tonal palette especially in the mids has more of a core perhaps more 'layered' to my ear. The Borg has more obvious 'punch' on tap and transitions are perhaps easier to pronounce, whereas the Lupi feels a bit more progressive in terms of power delivery. I think the Lupi tunes especially well, is strong in the altissimo, and bang-on in its 12ths, and also copes with more mouthpieces of different characteristics, but both tune very well indeed, and the differences aren't such that experimenting with mouthpieces couldn't even them out.

In terms of build quality, it's possibly unfair to compare a recent demo model (Lupi) with your 12 year old Borg but....the finishes/plating on Borgs (where they have them) are quite a bit better than the Lupi's coloured lacquer which, on my early Mk I example, has room for improvement. At it's best there's a nice subtle sparkle to it, but it's not totally even. (I had gathered the lacquer on recent ones is now better and one I saw at Howarths in London looked perfect). Your UL Jubilee is especially attractive in a natural way, to my eye. Thereafter, I felt the Lupi's pad job was much the better of the two, and from memory its action is more fluid: that's because there's no lateral movement in the rods. The Lupi's table feels nicer and quicker though superficially they look more or less identical. The left hand side keys (Eb, D, F) on the Lupi are perfectly located for my hand (can't remember how the Borg's side keys felt). But the Eb/ C transition on the Borg is much more comfortable for my RH pinkie and faster to finger.

The keywork soldering neatness is roughly similar on both (ie not extraordinary), whereas the tidy use of mini-ribs on the Lupi help them do a good job of alignment and I think that helps with it's ability to hold adjustment much better, but also the keywork on the Borg is noticeably more pliant so maybe that's contributory as well. I say that because both use exactly the same sprung metal inserts and bullet shaped, Selmer-style (but I would say 'true') point screws. The rod screws on the Lupi are of a thicker diameter.

When you're next over in the UK, come and try it out!
    Last edited by Enthusiast65; 06-11-2017 at 09:21 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stellar comparison, sounds like a sweet horn! Keep me posted on how you get along on it!
    "Can't never could."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've just switched neck on the Lupi to one that is new and has undergone a different annealing process to the one made for my demo model some time ago.

Wow what a difference the new neck makes. Comparative to the previous Lupi neck, there is a more resonant overall voice, with a purer tone throughout the instrument, and is even more adaptable to different mouthpieces. Now plays sweet or gritty as if the power 'on tap' of the horn had been increased.

The neck increases the scale of the sound in the bottom end, enriches the mids further, whilst maintaining a strong, direct altissimo, maybe with a dab more sweetness. For me turned a good tenor into a really great one.
    Last edited by Enthusiast65; 06-11-2017 at 09:24 AM.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789