MacSax, anyone??? (especially tenors) - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: MacSax, anyone??? (especially tenors)

I have an Empyreal tenor that replaced my Mark VI a couple years ago. Great horn. The Empyreal is much more Selmer like than the Mac 8. I played several of each at the Macsax showroom. Having said that, I just picked up a Mauriat 76 tenor (unlacquered no F#) as a backup and it is quickly becoming my main sax. It is hands down the most Mark VI esque horn I've played to date. The Macsax is great too, but just a hair more spread and even tonally. The Mauriat really nails that compact thing that sounds so good on a microphone. It's a hair less homogenous through the range (the sound quality change between middle b,c,c# and middle d,e,f is bigger than on the Macsax for example) but it got excellent character and ergos. Plays very much like a good Mark VI for me. On another note my local guitar center has a nice new Empyreal on clearance for $1999 so it might be a great time to buy a macsax at GC.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The few P. Mauriat System 76 tenors I have tried was a bit similar to a mkvi but had a more mushy and soft core, kind of diffuse.
    https://soundcloud.com/roger-nordling
    Tenors: Selmer SBA 53xxx - TJ Signature Custom RAW XS - Soprano: Yanagisawa Elimona 880

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Grubbery, I'm VP at Macsax and thought I would shed some light on a couple of things. Macsax offered the Mac 8 model with rolled tone holes as an option for a while. Not all of the Mac8 saxes have rolled tones holes. For us, it was not a particularly popular option so when that inventory was sold we stopped keeping rolled tone hole horns in stock. They are still available as an option.

Ken Beason sets up all of the Mac8 and Empyreal models that we sell to the public.

Feel free to pm if you have more questions
    macsax.com
    mingofishtrap.com - I don't play with 'em anymore but they still kick butt. Check them out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shortwhite View Post
    Hi Grubbery, I'm VP at Macsax and thought I would shed some light on a couple of things. Macsax offered the Mac 8 model with rolled tone holes as an option for a while. Not all of the Mac8 saxes have rolled tones holes. For us, it was not a particularly popular option so when that inventory was sold we stopped keeping rolled tone hole horns in stock. They are still available as an option.

Ken Beason sets up all of the Mac8 and Empyreal models that we sell to the public.

Feel free to pm if you have more questions
    Wow, thanks, shortwhite! That explains the confusion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2