MacSax, anyone??? (especially tenors)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default MacSax, anyone??? (especially tenors)

Lots of discussion here about the Vikings, the Barones, the Mauriats, but next to nothing about MacSax. And yes, I did run a search... -- and I also read Steve Neff's review of the alto and a couple of others elsewhere on the interwebz.

I am thinking of treating myself to another tenor at some point, maybe even this year still. (Do I need another tenor? Uhm, well, one can never really have too many tenors, right? Right....?) I will be in Dallas for a few days in April, and then in Austin in January, so hopefully I'll get to try a MacSax tenor somewhere, but I'd be most curious to learn if anyone here has any first-hand experience, especially techs?

I was lucky to catch Delfeayo Marsalis's Uptown Jazz Orchestra in the Crescent City last year and got to talk briefly to his tenor player, Roderick Palmer [sp?], who seemed very happy indeed with his MacSax. And is a monster player by the way!

Any experiences or impressions anyone cares to share are greatly appreciated, thanks!

-j.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: MacSax, anyone??? (especially tenors)

let me do this for you then..........

all contained in this search http://www.saxontheweb.net/Resources...017j1472659j15

Three examples of the many threads dedicated to these horns ( even tenors!), happy reading

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthr...m-Tenor-Review

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthr...ut-the-Mac-sax

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthr...no-hi-F-REVIEW
    Life is just a bowl... some have cherries in it, some don’t. Those who have the cherries aren’t likely to share them though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, Milandro.

That second thread I remember coming up in my multiple searches as well (using the "Advanced Search" of the forum and several different search strings), but the other two never did appear -- don't know why. Confirms my suspicion that either the wealth of info on SOTW is getting too voluminous for its own search engine -- or I'm gittin' old and need new glasses....

-j.
    Last edited by -j.; 02-06-2015 at 08:09 PM. Reason: spelling error: I DO need new glasses....!

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Just a guy who plays saxophone. swperry1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Macsax also has a small but growing index of dealers. Including Sam Ash in Atlanta, GA.
    http://macsax.com/dealers/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried an Empyreal tenor that was setup by Ken Beason. It was an excellent player! I really think the ones setup by ken blow most every Taiwanese horn out if the water.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a related question: Just how close is the MACSAX Empyreal tenor to the Viking M58s tenor? Both are made of so-called "S brass," and offer dark, vintage-looking lacquer. They have a generally similar retro design vibe, and both claim to recreate the Mark VI sound. Do they both play the same way?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not Close at all. It's a different horn all together. Remember We have the m60 made with S brass and it is different then the m58s and made in another factory. The Empyreal is a fine instrument. Macsax makes very good horns..
    845-361-9353

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, all, for your feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by swperry1 View Post
    Macsax also has a small but growing index of dealers. Including Sam Ash in Atlanta, GA.
    http://macsax.com/dealers/
    Yes, I saw them on the MacSax dealer list. However, I had a, shall we say, less than pleasant experience with them a while back -- not the Atlanta store, though -- and since the MacSax guys by all accounts appear to be very good peoples, I don't see a compelling reason why I shouldn't buy from them directly.

-j.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=saxyjare01;2356243]I tried an Empyreal tenor that was setup by Ken Beason. It was an excellent player! I really think the ones setup by ken blow most every Taiwanese horn out if the water.[/UOTE]

It would be very interesting to know which other ones that you played
    and how they compared to the MacSax that you played. The Taiwanese are
    making superb instruments.
    My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ghawk78/videos
    Tenor-Viking M60 Valkyrie w/Black Widow 8/Legere Signature:Alto-Yamaha YAS-23 w/Beechler Diamond Inlay S8S
    Soprano-Antigua Winds 590BLQ w/Bari HR .066

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FYI EBAY AUCTION --This could turn out to be a good deal...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MacSax-Empyr...item4d2d09b7e2
    845-361-9353

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -j. View Post
    Thanks, all, for your feedback!

Yes, I saw them on the MacSax dealer list. However, I had a, shall we say, less than pleasant experience with them a while back -- not the Atlanta store, though -- and since the MacSax guys by all accounts appear to be very good peoples, I don't see a compelling reason why I shouldn't buy from them directly.

-j.
    I've been in the Atlanta Sam Ash several times recently and never noticed any MacSax tenors. Can't say if they had any alto's or sop's as I never look at those when I'm in.

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Any experiences or impressions anyone cares to share are greatly appreciated, thanks!
    Just about the best tenor I tried at Namm last year was a Macsax. Huge sound but capable of nuances and great intonation. Nice bunch of guys too.
    TamingTheSaxophone.com & PPT Mouthpieces
    Tone Without Tears: get a great sound without the boring long notes | BEGINNERS' DVD & ONLINE TUTORIALS | CDs, BACKING TRACKS & SHEET MUSIC

Distinguished SOTW Member HeavyWeather77's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't own any of their horns, although I do know the guys in the company from my time living in Austin. The horns I tried were very good indeed. Not good enough to take me away from my current alto and tenor, but really great, and if I were shopping for new horns they would be high on my list of things to consider.

I have, however, been playing a MacSax tenor mouthpiece for the last three years, and I love it. Best tenor piece I've ever owned, by far. Mine is the Bob Sheppard model in an 8 opening, but every single piece I've tried that Eric Falcon made has been excellent. Can't recommend them highly enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GHawk View Post

It would be very interesting to know which other ones that you played
    and how they compared to the MacSax that you played. The Taiwanese are
    making superb instruments.

I've played the Eastman 52nd Street and 640 tenors, Barone Classic Gold-Plate, Buffet 400. There were some things that I liked about each of them. One of the things that I really LOVED about the Empyreal is that I didn't feel that it was one of those horns where the sound was great for the first five minutes, and then bleh. The best way I can describe it is this: I felt like I could shape and develop my sound like one could with a Selmer, Conn, King, or Yanagisawa (even certain Yamaha horns). I played it against my tenor (126xxx) and a colleagues (121xxx). I have to say that at a certain point, I felt like I didn't really need to make adjustments to play the horn. Moreover, it had a core that was really close to my tenor.

I will say this: I spoke with Ken Beason. The one I tried he setup when he first got to Macsax. He said that they've made some great improvements in the necks since that one. So, I'm itching to try the newer horns with the Beason setup.

I haven't played a viking sax. I hope to do so at some point in the future. I've heard good things!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, all -- much appreciated!

I also saw that someone is selling a Mac 8 tenor here on SOTW, but, alas, I am still a few months out from my promotion going into effect, so at this point I'm just trying to see what my options are. From the looks and sounds of it, a MacSax will definitely be among them.

-j.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, all -- much appreciated!

I also saw that someone is selling a Mac 8 tenor here on SOTW, but, alas, I am still a few months out from my promotion going into effect, so at this point I'm just trying to see what my options are. From the looks and sounds of it, a MacSax will definitely be among them.

-j.
    I owned: a Macsax Mac 8 - the demo used at NAMM. A BEESON set up. Smoothest, glorious set up!!! I loved it. Quite heavy, though. So I got the Magnum (getting decommissioned I believe.) but. Lighter and same high copper content as the 8. Very good but I sold it quickly- it wasn't close to the 8. Also tried the Macsax Warburton Special Edition. It was a good solid sax but it didn't excite me at all. The guy who bought it from me loved it.

Before buying any horn, I call people who've played ALL the Taiwanese horns, for their input. Everyone said the Mac 8 has a BIG bottom and it does. Best sounding bottom end I've heard. And very sweet and full all the way up. They also said however that the Empyreal was THE REAL DEAL in Taiwanese made horns. But. I couldn't afford one! No used ones around yet. So. I liked the mac 8 a ton. But. My closest music friends thought I sounded consistently better on the Mauriat 66rul Influence. (Excellent Saxquest set up) I couldn't afford to keep both. The guy who bought my mac 8 was trying the eastman 52 first. When he played about 5 notes on the 8 he pulled out his money and bought it. So. They make good horns. I BELIEVE that their endorsers shelley Carroll AND Ed Calle have switched from their earlier Macsax horns to the Empyreal. So. It's probably pretty special.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey all, quick question. I am looking for a backup/club horn to supplement my Selmer tenor. I'm taking a hard look at the Mac8 as an option. Which of these statements is true?

A) All Mac8s have rolled toneholes
    B )Some Mac8s have rolled toneholes if you ordered it that way
    C) All Mac8s after/before X date have rolled toneholes

The MacSax site implies the third bullet is true, but it's not exacly clear.

Thanks!

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2015-2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why not look at the horn that you are buying to see if it has rolled tone holes?

I'd rather not have rolled tone holes, but if the horn was a good one, it just wouldn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by grubbery View Post
    Hey all, quick question. I am looking for a backup/club horn to supplement my Selmer tenor. I'm taking a hard look at the Mac8 as an option. Which of these statements is true?

A) All Mac8s have rolled toneholes
    B )Some Mac8s have rolled toneholes if you ordered it that way
    C) All Mac8s after/before X date have rolled toneholes

The MacSax site implies the third bullet is true, but it's not exacly clear.

Thanks!
    Go for The Tone,

g

"When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

As a Veteran for Peace, I am already against the next war.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe these were originally designed by Ken Beason. This is a plus factor, in my opinion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, obviously if I could put my hands on one, I would do just that. Hence my question.

I have a list of horns I want to test drive as a backup to my Selmer tenor, this is one of them if it's possible to get one without rolled tone holes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast