Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the Holton geauxsax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Holton owners club

Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancis View Post
    Elkhorn soprano, probably mid 20s. Great sound. I've been playing it for 45 years now.
    Me too, in sandblasted Gold! What finish do you have? What mouthpiece(s) do you use on it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member blackfrancis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine is silver. I have used Geo. M Bundy slant, Berg, Link metal and Tone Edge. I think my favorites are the Links.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a Silver Holton Elkhorn C-Melody.
    My Instruments: Holton Elkhorn C-Melody Sax, Holton Super Collegiate Model 666 Alto Sax, Vito Reso-tone Clarinet, Yamaha Alto Model YAS-200AD Sax, Yamaha Tenor Model YTS-23 Sax.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rucadulu View Post
    I have a Silver Holton Elkhorn C-Melody.
    Awesome Rucadulu--what mouthpiece are you using on it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by geauxsax View Post
    Awesome Rucadulu--what mouthpiece are you using on it?
    I use a Alto Yamaha 4C. Not an expensive mouth piece but it works well with my C-Melody.
    My Instruments: Holton Elkhorn C-Melody Sax, Holton Super Collegiate Model 666 Alto Sax, Vito Reso-tone Clarinet, Yamaha Alto Model YAS-200AD Sax, Yamaha Tenor Model YTS-23 Sax.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have one in need of an overhaul. I bought it as part of a bunch of saxes in a deceased estate. It's not playable in its current state. From the serial number (116xxx) its a Revelation 1934-35. Is it worth having fixed?
    Selmer Cigar Cutters are for sax players so hot they're smokin'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by izitulez View Post
    I have one in need of an overhaul. I bought it as part of a bunch of saxes in a deceased estate. It's not playable in its current state. From the serial number (116xxx) its a Revelation 1934-35. Is it worth having fixed?
    I am only an amateur hobby player and by no means claim to be an authority on saxophones. However, I love my 2 Holtons and I would say that yes any Holton Revelation is worth fixing and restoring. I sold off 2 very nice vintage Lyon & Healy saxophones in favor of the 2 Holtons I have and I am extremely happy with my decision to do so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by izitulez View Post
    Izitulez--do you have pictures? My quick answer before pics: Alto: no, Tenor, Maybe. (the altos are super plentiful and rock-bottom prices). I love my Holtons, but remember: if you try to resale, you'll most likely never get close to what you put in on these--they're just not popular enough. now, if you just want a cool vintage, and underrated horn to play, then go for it.

For altos specifically: If you want to sink money into a Holton alto, then I'd look to something like a 232, one of their top offerings and more modern than the Revelation you have. 234 Stratodynes are out there too, but good luck finding one (Holton Literature says they are based on the 232 anyway). Or, maybe get a Rudy just to basically, well, have a Rudy (although really that's just a late 20s/early 30s Revelation with funky keys as far as I can tell)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Re: Holton owners club

Greetings Holton Owners,
    I am waiting to receive a Horton alto model 233, (242xxx), part of a package deal including a Chu Berry alto and Buescher TT, C Mel. The 233 is the one I'm most excited about. This is my first Holton and it is described as needing pads.
    Do these keep their big bottom end when fitted with domed SS resonators?

My main sax has been a New Wonder II Conn that is very picky about mouthpieces. What mouthpieces compliment the Holton 233?

I'll try to post pictures when it comes Friday.

Vintage Saxophones are a fun venue to explore. It's an affordable addiction. This month I've found a King tenor that plays better than any saxophone I've played and I got it for $200. Why drop a couple grand for a heartless Japanese or Chinese horn that plays the same as every other Japanese or Chinese sax? Playing vintage sax lets me express my moods more deeply. This King Model series II puts chills up my spine just playing scales!
    My old Chu leaves me screaming for joy after sweet improv escapes from reality and I hope to find the same pleasure extended into the deeper ranges than I've been able to reach with Conn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WalterConn View Post
    Greetings Holton Owners,
    I am waiting to receive a Horton alto model 233, (242xxx), part of a package deal including a Chu Berry alto and Buescher TT, C Mel. The 233 is the one I'm most excited about. This is my first Holton and it is described as needing pads.
    Do these keep their big bottom end when fitted with domed SS resonators?

My main sax has been a New Wonder II Conn that is very picky about mouthpieces. What mouthpieces compliment the Holton 233?

I'll try to post pictures when it comes Friday.

Vintage Saxophones are a fun venue to explore. It's an affordable addiction. This month I've found a King tenor that plays better than any saxophone I've played and I got it for $200. Why drop a couple grand for a heartless Japanese or Chinese horn that plays the same as every other Japanese or Chinese sax? Playing vintage sax lets me express my moods more deeply. This King Model series II puts chills up my spine just playing scales!
    My old Chu leaves me screaming for joy after sweet improv escapes from reality and I hope to find the same pleasure extended into the deeper ranges than I've been able to reach with Conn.

All 3 sound like they'll be good horns!
    I'd imagine they do still play well with domed resonators, though I've never gotten to play a 233 in any shape before, so I can't exactly be sure on that.
    Based on this thread: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthr...r-your-Holtons your Holton shouldn't be too picky.
    It'll be cool to see those pictures then.
    And yes, vintage saxes can definitely be interesting and fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi - I have inherited a Holton C-Melody Sax! It is in need of all new pads and a very good cleaning. I have seen that many people have done this work themselves and I would like some advice on what type of pads to get and where as well as what to use on the silver plate to clean. Took it to a repair shop and they wanted hundreds to fix up and that is just not an option for me! Thank you in advance for any advice.
    i am trying to upload a photo but it's not working...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mjhabig View Post
    Hi - I have inherited a Holton C-Melody Sax! It is in need of all new pads and a very good cleaning. I have seen that many people have done this work themselves and I would like some advice on what type of pads to get and where as well as what to use on the silver plate to clean. Took it to a repair shop and they wanted hundreds to fix up and that is just not an option for me! Thank you in advance for any advice.
    i am trying to upload a photo but it's not working...
    Check out music medic dot com; pad options aplenty. Silver cleaning..lots of options..all are dirty nasty jobs but very satisfying. There are a number of websites showing how/what to do to clean polish Silver saxophones. I clean well then hand polish with silver cream. I avoid tarn-x.
    Alto: '76 Mark VII, '73 Amati Classic, Soprano 2012 Asian special, 1922 Conn New Wonder C-Mel, '23 Frank Holton C Soprano, '25 Conn NWII Tenor.

Distinguished SOTW Member michaelbaird's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just bought a C soprano already own a vintage alto and C-melody all with the weird extra keys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pictures Man--Pictures!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12