Sax on the Web Forum banner

Clark W. Fobes vs R. Caravan For Bass Saxophone

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  RyanMantell 
#1 ·
Hello brothers and sisters, I'm looking at getting a mouthpiece for bass saxophone.

I'm kind of stuck between the Clark W. Fobes Nova mouthpiece
Office supplies Cylinder Tints and shades Audio equipment Font

and the R. Caravan mouthpiece
Cosmetics Cylinder Office supplies Audio equipment Tints and shades

They are both virtually IDENTICAL to the George M. Bundy Signature mouthpiece, but I'm thinking far more refined in design and quality.

Many people call these "Pickle Barrel" mouthpieces, which sounds totally cold blooded to me :dontknow:
For me playing a bass saxophone; or even a baritone saxophone, just doesn't feel the same unless I use a large mouthpiece such as these.

So, for my brothers and sisters who play bass saxophone, which mouthpiece would be better to purchase?

Seeing as how it's a little more than $300 to get BOTH of these mouthpieces, I suppose I could just purchase both mouthpieces and see which one plays best for me. But seeing as how I'm a little money tight, some real opinions would be greatly appreciated from my brothers and sisters here :help:

Have a blessed day everyone.

Brian White

See less See more
#2 ·
I've never played the bass versions of these MP's (hell I've only played on a Bass once using a bari sax MP) but I own a Fobes Nova alto piece and S and A Caravan pieces and they both play very well so I can't be much help as to which is better..the Caravan bari has the huge chamber so it MIGHT be more appropriate, but that's just speculation..

#5 ·
The Caravan Bari and Bass MPC's are identical except for the facing. I used a Caravan in college and was AWESOME! On the Buescher Bass I own now - I got my hands on several generic large chamber bari pieces, picked the best, then sent it to Eric Griffenhagen to work on the facing - AWESOME RESULTS!!

#6 ·
Ah okay...
Thank you Graysax for the input.
I'll remember that when and if I get baritone mouthpieces for my bass sax.
I saw another baritone mouthpiece that could...possibly work for my bass sax.
http://www.jodyjazz.com/hr.baritone.html
The Jody Jazz HR* looks like it would be a nice choice to use...
Writing implement Cosmetics Writing instrument accessory Audio equipment Font

How about the modern George M. Bundy Signature?
Is this one still a very desirable mouthpiece to use?
Audio equipment Office supplies Font Tints and shades Cylinder

#7 ·
#8 ·
Hehehe, that's okay with me my friend

I was actually looking at vintage stuff like the Woodwind Company B6 or something like that.

It's just easier (if you will) to find a new vintage style mouthpiece.

But you're right, these mouthpieces you shared from eBay and exactly what I need.

#11 ·
The Fobes mpc has a step baffle in it that really ruins it. I had one of these and filed down the baffle to make it flat, and then it played like a large chamber baritone mouthpiece should. A student of mine is currently using it.

I use a Caravan mouthpiece on my bass, and it is really excellent. Dr. Caravan re-faces the baritone mouthpiece with a bass facing (which he copied from a vintage bass mouthpiece and has used for years). I would definitely get the Caravan if I were you - you know you will be getting something of the highest quality that works. And if you're unhappy with it, he will re-face it for you to suit your needs. Order through caravanmouthpieces.com and select the "bass saxophone re-facing" option when you order the baritone mouthpiece.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.