Sax on the Web Forum banner

new sax harness

11K views 45 replies 26 participants last post by  WildHockeyFan 
#1 ·
#7 ·
There are a couple of places it clips. The whole thing is adjustable. Didn't think to do pix from the back.

#6 ·
It looks great. I just bought two new harnesses from Nobcor/ Gemini about 3 months ago and wish I had waited. The leather shoulder pads are a great idea which I actually suggested to Nobcor to spread the weight out a little more than just the 1 inch web strapping when I bought harnesses but it fell on deaf ears. I was about to contact Joe from "Just Joe's" and ask him if he would design a harness using his leather and gel pads exactly like this so I'm glad your brother is doing it.

It looks like the leather piece in the back may need to be a little larger especially for those of us who are a bit "thick in the neck" - the straps, as they go over your shoulders, appear to be crowding you in the pictures. Does he have a plastic hook option available?

I agree with Phil - it's a very good price for that level of material and craftsmanship. Once he's established and has the design totally dialed in he should be able to get $50 for these easy.

Does it work with mouthpieces other than Metalites ;)

#27 ·
It looks like the leather piece in the back may need to be a little larger especially for those of us who are a bit "thick in the neck" - the straps, as they go over your shoulders, appear to be crowding you in the pictures. Does he have a plastic hook option available?
Hi KeithL, I appreciate the feedback. We'll make the next run with a larger thingie on the back. I'm aware of the plastic/metal hook divide but I'm not comfortable with using a plastic hook until I can find a really robust one that we can all have a lot of confidence in. I'm looking into it.

#8 ·
One on the way to MN.

The one thing it may be lacking from my nobcor strap, is the ability to unclip the front horizontal piece and tuck it under a jacket when off stage. It's nice to have the harness invisible before and after playing without having to remove it.

#12 ·
There aren't any plans for a single shoulder strap on the horizon are there?
Not that I know of. But there could be ... How would you want a single shoulder strap to be constructed? I bought a Neotech one a while back, but it never sat right. The hook was never in exactly the right place and I couldn't seem to get it to be where I wanted it.

My brother's company has a lot of guitar straps. http://stores.ebay.com/Passport-Aud..._sid=405492&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1581&_pgn=1
If there was much interest in a sax shoulder strap, and there was a design that worked well, I might be able to get him interested.

#18 ·
I just snagged it. Merry Christmas to me. I've been very happy with my BG harnesses, even though they have changed over the years and I like the newer ones less. Using a harness means that I can skip the SOTW threads about neck pains, shoulders hurting, sore thumbs, etc. But I didn't have a harness in each tenor case and I managed to go to a practice a few weeks ago without a neck strap. What a pain. For $34, that won't happen again. Even though there is a big sale on the BGs and I just bought a life-time supply of spare harnesses, I'll try something different.

Mark

#20 ·
#24 ·
I ordered one too, from Amazon.
Thank you MMM for the heads up.

After purchase, there is an option to email the seller, on Amazon.com
I very much wanted to have the sax harness shipped USPS to Canada.
With USPS shipping to Canada, there are no exorbitant brokerage fees to pay, that all the other carriers charge.

Passport Audio, which is your brother's company, emailed me back and assured that the harness would be shipped USPS to Canada.
The cost is $7.95 for standard shipping (should be USPS 1st class).
I really appreciate it.

#30 ·
The problem with metal hooks is that they can wear through the hook ring on the horn. The ring is almost worn through on my bari and when it goes, it will be a lot of weight crashing to the floor. Right now I have the ring reinforced with tiny strips of teflon tape. But this is why my preferred hook is plastic-covered metal. It won't break and it is less likely to wear through the ring or scratch the finish.

(There's a whole thread about how a big brass hook improves your sound, but I'm not going there.)

Attachments

#32 ·
I'd be good with something like this as well. I was standing right next to a friend when the strap ring on his tenor gave way during a marching band practice in high school - wasn't pretty. I don't care for the scratching and lacquer wear you typically get around the strap ring as well.

Am I missing something in the pictures - it doesn't look like the hook on this harness is rubber or plastic coated- is it??

#31 ·
Awwwwc'mon MMM...we all know it's the stainless hooks that make the horn vibrate better....ROFL

I am with you on plastic covered hooks. For those that have a good metal hook, there is always PlastiDip. Liquid plastic that hardens to a semi soft state....tool handles etc.

#45 ·
Awwwwc'mon MMM...we all know it's the stainless hooks that make the horn vibrate better....ROFL
We all need to start building up our arm muscles. If you REALLY want to sound good, you need to play without a neck strap. Really gets the heart pumping. :)

#34 ·
Great idea Mark - thanks for sharing. I may get one of these as a birthday present to myself in January. My impression of this harness from the pictures matches your description so I'm glad to hear it is so nicely made. The BG harnesses I have I think have a plastic swivel hook which I'm not crazy about - are yours different? I've found after primarily using the snaphook on the Nobcor for the last 15+ years I prefer hooks that don't swivel. For me switching instruments during gigs (often in low lighting) is much easier when I know the hook is always aligned the same way and can't have spun to a different orientation. Maybe I'll get one of these and use your tubing idea and then a little epoxy or something to stop it from spinning.

#35 ·
I have the BG harnesses that comes with a metal hook that doesn't swivel or require you to pull back on a spring mechanism. You can see it in post #26 on the picture of the BG package. The hook has a longer crook on it than the Neotech metal hooks. Very low-tech. No problems in the dark. I've never had any problem with it, but I don't get too acrobatic with my saxophone. Weiner Music was (is?) having a big sale on the BG with the metal hook. $10. That's probably about what I'd pay to buy just a hook off of the web, if I could find the right one. I ordered four of them. I'm in harness heaven.

Mark

#37 ·
I bought one of my BGs on sale from Weiner for cheap but mine have the plastic swivel hooks. I have no need to buy another or customize these since they are very similar to the Nobcors which I like better. I totally agree with you on the hooks and the dark- put one horn down pick another up then try to find that small spring-loaded catch in the dark, get the hook open and get it on the strap ring all in under 10 seconds can be a real task on a tight stage. I have several harnesses and wouldn't even consider one of these Walker and Williams models except I'm really coveting the wide leather shoulder straps and they look really well made.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.