Do you think that "Kind of Blue" album is overvalued? - Page 5

View Poll Results: Do you think that "Kind of Blue" album is overvalued?

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 10.08%
  • No

107 89.92%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Forum Contributor 2014-2017 Dana in Philly's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Do you think that "Kind of Blue" album is overvalued?

Absolutely not. It's a desert island album. The solos -- you could listen to them for a lifetime and they wouldn't get old.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Forum Contributor 2016 MrBlueNote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kind of Blue is a wonderful work of art. It was groundbreaking while at the same time being eminently listenable, which is not an easy task for artists! It's one of the high water marks in the careers of Miles, 'Trane, Cannonball, Evans, Kelly, Chambers, and Cobb, which really says something in itself and it has influenced virtually everyone who plays or listens to modern jazz. It's an album that belongs in any music lover's library.

That being said, I do think it's unfortunate that writers have focused so narrowly on a relatively small number of artists and albums as deserving the lion's share of praise. It really seems to me in retrospect that the critical establishment had blinders on that caused them to miss many other deserving works from that era and this continues to the present day.
    "Jazz is people playing weird s#*t on the V and then resolving to the I."

-My teacher

Forum Contributor 2014-2017 Dana in Philly's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was so much going on in that era.

Rio Cuarto city, Córdoba state, Argentina, South America
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NostalgiaSmith View Post
    Like most works of art that are labelled "masterpiece" Kind of Blue is a triumph on multiple levels; both intellectual and emotional. If you factor in elements like historical impact, originality, mass appeal, etc, it becomes increasingly obtuse to support a position that it is "overvalued". As a listener, you may not "connect" with it on one or more levels, and that may be due to a deficiency in understanding/knowledge or a simple aesthetic preference. But to claim that it is overvalued is similar to claiming that not only do you not like the sound of the Italian language, but it is overvalued as a language when compared to Japanese or Russian (et al); even though you don't speak a word of Italian.
    And usually when I don´t connect with some art stuff I tend to state than I don´t like it, like everybody.......and therefore that this song/picture/paint/movie, etc., is overvalued.....because art is to me a subjective matter.....I understand all the points of view stated here but mine is not included.....you can call me obtuse or whatever, I know that isn´t true....italian language is not an artform, I think that the only subjective matter is art....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

KOB is a great album and every track on it still sounds fresh and exciting almost 60 years later, something you can’t say for most pop albums. But it’s overvalued in the sense that many people in the wider music world have presented it as the definitive jazz album and it’s often the only jazz album you’ll find in a large record collection. Like going to a zoo that has a fine specimen of a lion and no other animals, and the townspeople are satisfied with their zoo.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I feel its undervalued, I will change my userid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No. I think it is one of the albums that made modern jazz accessible to the masses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bvandrasik View Post
    No. I think it is one of the albums that made modern jazz accessible to the masses.
    Possibly, but if I were to recommend a first small group jazz album to someone, it would probably be Hank Mobley's Soulstation, Coletrane's Blue Train, or possibly Freddie Hubbard's Ready for Freddie. I don't think that Kind of Blue of would be a particularly good introduction to the genre to a complete novice. YMMV

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like to hear what anyone thinks is better or more iconic.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2007-2016
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was coming up, it was just another great Miles record. Not widely considered the best record or anything like that. I think what changed is the high school and college jazz music courses that had to pick one album to study.
    Life is too short for long tones

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5