Sax on the Web Forum banner

Jody Jazz Bass Mouthpiece

4K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  SAX94 
#1 ·
Does anyone have experience with the Jody Jazz Bass Mouthpiece? I have 3 vintage pickle barrel pieces and don't really need another especially expensive mouthpiece but I'm a little tempted. My horn is a Holton Conn stencil.

#2 ·
Hey, I have a Holton Conn Stencil too!!! I played a Jody Jazz bass piece for about 4 years, and just switched to the new Fred Lebayle piece. I loved the Jody, and it's a HUGE step up from the old pickle barrels. Very reliable and clean and strong. You can make it honk, but you can take lyrical solos too. The Lebayle has alot more volume and fullness, intonations a little better, and, well, I just like it more. But it's also a little more $. It's also designed more specifically for the bass sax, to be used with bass sax reeds, while the JOdy is closer to a baritone facing, and uses baritone reeds. Which can be nice and convenient. :)

#4 ·
I tried the Jody Jazz bass sax mouthpiece during one of Jody's demonstrations in Florida. The backbore is too small for my Eppelsheim bass, and I didn't have my Pan American (Conn stencil) bass with me, so I was forced to try out the Jody Jazz on a Selmer Paris bass sax that was available during the demo.
The Jody Jazz was the best mouthpiece I tried on the Selmer bass sax. It probably would be great on a vintage bass like yours if you want a mouthpiece with plenty of power and edge.
The old "pickle barrel" bass mouthpieces are good for eliminating the bad notes on vintage basses, and the intonation is good too. They have great depth, but they aren't very loud. Any bass mouthpiece with some kind of baffle (like the Jody Jazz) will be more powerful and modern sounding, but the bad notes like middle and high C natural will suffer. It all depends on how much volume you really need, and how flexible you need to be for difficult parts like big intervals at high speed.

#6 ·
Thanks Saxtek. Is there a consensus on tip openings for bass? My mouthpieces have a very closed tip opening and I was thinking of having a backup Geo Bundy piece opened up a bit and the facing lengthened. Somewhere in the range of 0.100". I am worried about the effects of a larger opening.

#8 ·
Is there a consensus on tip openings for bass?
I don't think so!

I'd propose that baritone sax mouthpiece openings would be a pretty good guide, if that helps. It seems to me that bari sax openings tend to run more similar to tenor than I would have expected, and I'd guess bass would be even more similar to bari. Your proposed .100 opening doesn't seem too extravagant, especially if it comes with a lengthened facing.

For what it's worth, my (I think) Zinner is around .100 - but it's a generally different mouthpiece concept, with a table baffle and not such a large chamber. I'm not at all sure the same tip opening would improve a Geo Bundy like the one I have, but I don't have any experience with refacing mouthpieces.

#11 ·
I have been playing for years now the Jody Jazz Bass mpcs nb6, with Légère synthetic reed for bass sax quite succesfully on my Selmer SA80II, and it is the best I ever had! and it is quite soft not agressive at all!
I'd like to try the Fred Lebayle one just to compare.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.