Trio for saxophone, voice and piano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Trio for saxophone, voice and piano

I have a soprano (singer, not saxophone!) friend who I'd like to do chamber music with, and I've been researching repertoire. So far, Francaix's 9 Historiettes looks like it could be adapted for the combination of soprano voice, saxophone and piano. Any suggestions for other possible repertoire for this ensemble ? I'm open to creating arrangements. I'm sure there are many pop songs that would make great encores, but I'm hoping for more 'art music' repertoire.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Trio for saxophone, voice and piano

Last Saturday I organised a festival of classical saxophone chamber music and Hayley Lambert gave a recital called The Poetic Saxophone, for exactly that combination of instruments. Here is the recital page but offhand I can't remember which pieces were for trio as some were voice and saxophone only:

http://www.ianstewart.eu/270914/hayleylambert

She also played a recital last year for the same combination but I will have to check the programme to see if there were any other pieces for this ensemble.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you need to be looking at the repertoire for clarinet, voice and piano. E.g: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVMSnQOvcjs. You should be able to adapt some of that for either soprano or alto sax.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The program Ian sent has some good examples of this repertoire. I always feel that our first impulse should be to look for original works for saxophone before quickly transcribing something written for other instruments. Luckily, for this combination, there are several very high quality works written. Probably the crown jewel of works for saxophone and soprano voice is the Laitman I Never Saw Another Butterfly. Of course there's no piano here, but if you're looking for piano, then I'd suggest Andrew Downes' Dreamland, which is for soprano voice, soprano saxophone, and piano. This is an incredible, but relatively unknown work (Ian do you know Andrew?). The text is a poem by Edgar Allen Poe. I was not familiar with the Songs of Tagore by Ticheli until I saw the program, but I checked out a recording and ordered the music right away. Finally, there is a 2nd work by Laitman called Living in the Body. It's not quite as effective as Butterfly but still good. You can make an entire program right there from those works.
    Saxophone Ensemble and Saxophone Choir Director, Youth Orchestra of Central Jersey
    Adjunct Professor of Music, Saint Peter's University
    www.jordanpsmith.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Composer Carl Smith at Vanderbilt University has a beautiful song cycle set to the poetry of Sharon Olds. Its a wonderful piece of music. Soprano singer, alto saxophone, and piano.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The link to the 270914 Festival website above may not be up permamently, so I thought I would list the pieces here as threads are still visited after many years.

Catherine McMichael - Stopping By Woods
    Lori Laitman - I Never Saw Another Butterfly
    William Roy arr. Ed Puddick - This Little Rose
    Gregory Wanamaker - Vocalises
    Frank Ticheli - Songs of Tagore

I would also like to add support for Jordan's advice "I always feel that our first impulse should be to look for original works for saxophone before quickly transcribing something written for other instruments". The saxophone repertoire is growing all the time, especially as more and more players are commissioning new saxophone works from composers in all styles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wolfgang Jacobi: Cantata.
    Publisher: Ries & Erler

" I always feel that our first impulse should be to look for original works for saxophone before quickly transcribing something written for other instruments": +1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for the responses - I think I might include a few of those pieces. I'll just add another piece I found - Joachim Nin's Le Chant du Veilleur. It is actually a transcription from violin, but it's only really performed on saxophone now.

I certainly agree with the comment about transcriptions, though - I prefer to avoid them. I do play clarinet as well, so if I want to include clarinet repertoire I can just do it on the instrument the composer intended!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for reminding me about this. I feel like an idiot because I performed this literally 3 years ago! There are parts I really liked, and others I did not. It's definitely a mixed bag for me.

Quote Originally Posted by kaspy View Post
    Wolfgang Jacobi: Cantata.
    Publisher: Ries & Erler

" I always feel that our first impulse should be to look for original works for saxophone before quickly transcribing something written for other instruments": +1
    Saxophone Ensemble and Saxophone Choir Director, Youth Orchestra of Central Jersey
    www.jordanpsmith.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check carefully the voice range in the Nin piece. I think it's written for a mezzo-soprano.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just checked, you're right, it's for mezzo.
    www.jordanpsmith.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If people are still interested in music for voice, saxophone and piano, here is another work.
    Hayley Lambert asked me to make a version of my settings of the Catalan Magnificat and Nunc Dimittis for her ensemble. It is for soprano voice, soprano saxophone and piano (concert, digital or electric) and the text is entirely in Catalan.
    (If anyone wants to see the score please email me).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Christiaanjs View Post
    I'll just add another piece I found - Joachim Nin's Le Chant du Veilleur.
    Great piece!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hayley Lambert performed another recital with soprano voice, saxophone and piano at a festival I helped to organise yesterday. All the works have been mentioned above except a 1st performance of a new work:

Ed Puddick - A Boat Beneath a Sunny Sky

based on two poems by Lewis Carroll.

Here is the full programme:

Ian Stewart - Catalan settings of Magnificat and Nunc Dimittis (Premiere of this version)
    Graham Redwood - Bucolic Comedies
    1. Aubade
    2. The White Owl
    3. Gardener Janus Catches a Naiad
    4. Spinning Song (after Schubert)
    Carl Smith - Songs of the Son
    1. Rite of Passage
    2. Son
    6. Solo
    Frank Ticheli - Songs of Tagore
    1. Nightfall
    2. Light
    3. Departure
    Ed Puddick - A Boat Beneath a Sunny Sky (Premiere)