Sax on the Web Forum banner

Mojo Mouthpiece Works Vortex Review

31K views 45 replies 24 participants last post by  ZootTheSim 
#1 ·
I received a Mojo Mouthpiece Works Vortex .111 gold plated Tenor Mouthpiece a little over 1 week ago.

The baffle profile, side rails, tip rail are quite thin in comparison with most of my other tenor pieces. It starts with a fairly high baffle leading into a bullet chamber...but it is a little rounder..not as pointed as most bullet baffles ala Berg and in addition to being a little rounder it gets deeper sooner as it then drops off into the vortex fluted chamber that swirls 3, 3.5 revolutions before stopping at the shank.

It has a thinner body than most metal tenor pieces but something I found interesting is considering the slim profile it has a generous sized reed table that supports the entire reed stock. Most I own have at least a small portion of the reed stock/butt hanging off the end..I've no idea if that has any effect or not on the performance. My main mouthpiece for several years, an LA Sax silverplated is the opposite, it has the shortest reed table I have seen on a mouthpiece, nearly an inch shorter than the Vortex.

The Vortex plays with both good depth, great projection and sassy sizzle. As would be expected it is powerful, still a pleasant fat voice without being brittle or shrill. Plays well in all ranges, subtones nicely. The fluted chamber is not so much a factor until you push more air into it...then it kicks in and adds some sparkle, color and edge to the tone that is unique and not something easily described in writing. Makes me feel like we saxophonists finally got an acoustic equivalent to the guitarist stomp box effect pedal!

Yes it is bright, but easy to control. Sorta like a car with a turbo engine, it is very powerful but that power doesn't kick in until you step on the gas. I wouldn't use this for an duo gig in a hotel lobby. For a variety, dance, cover band with a horn section it will work darn good.

Anyone wanting something that rips like a Guardala Super King but also adds some deepness to the tone would do well to check this piece out.

Played it on my Andreas Eastman 52nd St. Tenor and Bundy Special tenor and both horns matched up well with the Vortex. Intonation is fine (I was concerned about this when I ordered it) and no surprise altissimo plays with ease as does the other extreme at the low end without a lot of adjustment in embouchure. Excellent wonderful quality workmanship and more important really nice sounding mouthpiece for a SoulJazzFunkster like me. I have no idea what if any affect the swirling chamber has...but the total package coupled with Mojo's fine finishing work makes this mouthpiece a lot of fun to play on.

I will admit it is not going to be a piece you want to use in a reserved, quiet setting...but if it is about being live in living color and playing modern music it is another fine alternative for players to consider. For a little more visual information, check the video link below.

See less See more
#27 ·
I playtest the Vortex for a few hours (0.106", with Rovner lig and a RJS 3S reed). It really looks fantastic and the chamber is very cool. The tip and rails are made so filigran - just stunning. I wonder that the overall size of that piece is even smaller than an original Guardala!!! Playwise the Vortex produces a very focused tone with power, edge, warmth and a beautiful centre. It has a tight scale and when you play up and down the sax, it's very even. The bottom end is fat and you can whisper down easily - very efficient.The attack in the low end is very precise - even when you push it hard. When you play with power I find the tone is reminescent of Bob Berg. Maybe because of the bullet chamber. To be honest, I play the high-notes with a good feeling but they come not as easy as on my own piece. But I'm sure in a few days/weeks that would relativise automatically. All in all it is a fantastic modern-sounding all-around piece, that find it's place in Funk, Fusion, Blues, Rock or Smooth-Jazz.

(sorry for my english)

Video comes ...

#38 ·
Yeah, generally the overall internal volume of the dimensions of the mouthpiece have a lot more to do with tuning and pairing with older horns than whether or not the mouthpiece is new or old.

Baffle doesn't have as much to do with it if the mouthpiece has a significant chamber and even length.

#41 ·
Mojo Hand Made Mouthpieces are currently on sale for 30% off the prices listed on my web site. Save $100+!

This includes the Vortex and Vortex 2. Not sure how long I will be running the sale. Shop early for the best selection in tip openings. You will need to email me as to what tip you would prefer and I will let you know what I have. Trials available.
Mojo, sorry I'm probably just blind but where can I read about these two pieces on your website?

#44 ·
I ended up buying a Vortex and it's fantastic. Very similar to my Berg offset M 0/105, but easier blowing in the lower register, fuller in the upper register, and with easier altissimo. Also, amazingly, it's even louder than the Berg.

Or maybe it just projects better? Can't quite put my finger on it yet, but the Vortex has really interesting acoustic imaging. From behind the horn, it seems that the Berg's tone issues from somewhere around the bore or upper neck, whereas the Vortex's tone seems to issue from the lower neck or upper body--or maybe somewhere a couple of feet in front of the horn.

I'd thought this would be a good backup to my Berg, but now I'm thinking it's the other way around.

I know Mojo recommends a Rovner Light L-11, but I'd love a brass-coloured lig to match the piece. Does anyone know of one that fits, preferably with a single-screw?

#46 ·
Thanks Mojo, I will try that. Yeah, the Vortex is even slimmer than my metal Berg, although its table is much longer and fits the reed better. I've only recently switched from HR, but it was no problem to adjust my embouchure to the slim profile, just the ligature.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.