Sax on the Web Forum banner

Bass Sax w/ Euphonium mouthpiece

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  zeniuk 
#1 ·
This is interesting... [video]https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=358418510989226&set=vb.100004632393509&type=2&theater[/video]

#2 ·
indeed very interesting, it would be nice to hear if the player can play the higher register too.

I have seen and heard before instruments being played with another type of mouthpiece meant for a completely different type of instrument but this is the first time that it actually sounds good

this doesn't.....

This is a bit better

#3 ·
That's Marcelo Cego! Good to see him having fun with a saxophone. He's a rather phenomenal tuba player (that's a tuba mouthpiece) who plays with a not very ambitious group of musicians I think associated with a large Protestant cult. In Brazil. The church services are conducted with an all male band with lots of bass saxophones. Hence the indigenous bass saxophone manufacturing industry (I'm not making this up.)

I think I hear him saying at the beginning of the clip "É um som bonito, né", "It's a nice sound, isn't it?"

#4 ·
Sorry you are too far down the rabbit hole here for me to believe this wacko story. Tell us more about the all male Indigenous Bass saxophone playing protestant cult in Brazil. :popcorn:

#5 ·
No, no, they don't all play bass saxophones, it's a large enough orchestra with maybe several bass saxophones, and tubas etc. Gives it the properly hairy chested masculine sound, I guess. The religion is not indigenous of course, Pentacostal stuff from the US a century ago. Here's Marcelo again, playing this time I think a Brazilian bass sax - maybe a Lopes? - with a normal bass sax mouthpiece: (Cego is not his real surname, it's descriptive. He's blind.) I'm not saying he's a great player by most standards, but lots of apparent talent, clearly loves playing and that's what he does.

#6 ·
For more on the Lopes thing ... well, I don't know if it's possible to find out much more, but here's a video of a Galassine bass sax to low G (I think.) I don't know why the Galassine name, pretty sure that's Lopes Instrumentos Musicais and the same thing used to go by that name. I think J'Elle Stainer came along later, and must have taken a big bite out of their pretty small market.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.