Sax on the Web Forum banner

Benjamin Allen Tenor Mouthpiece is As Good AS IT Gets

52K views 211 replies 38 participants last post by  jazzznbluezzz 
#1 ·
Just wanted to leave a rave for my Benjamin Allen Hard Rubber Tenor piece. I bought the Tony Dargotti Model about two months ago and have had a great email and phone relationship with Ben since that time. The cost was just over 200 dollars and the mouthpiece is one of the best HR mouthpieces I have ever played. The work is flawless and the piece has a deep quality that I have only found from great vintage pieces. It is a traditional Link looking piece but it plays clearer and cleaner than any link HR piece I have. And it is really full sounding and can take a ton of air. I would say that it is they type piece that many professional players are looking for. Ben refaced some pieces for me and did a great job on them, but his own piece is a work of art. I have turned a few friends on to his work and they all seem to be very impressed with everything about the experience of the piece and Ben's work and communication. I think he is really on to something. He is an articulate and honest dude who seems to be mostly motivated by creating something unusually good and beautiful. I have mixed feelings about outing his great work since it might make for a wait for the next piece I order from him, but I also feel the need to sing his praises. Check out his web site. His piece is not a "chops in the box" wedge piece, but he is an artist on a high level creating the kind of work that will be in demand for a long time.

#203 ·
These pieces are great! When Ben sent me a few to review he sent a regular 10E, a brighter 10E, a fatter Dagradi and a regular Degradi. I preferred the ones in the middle because I like pieces that can do multiple styles and sounds. I'd be curios how hard it is for Ben to change a regular TD into the fat TD or the Regular 10E into the brighter 10E. Maybe it is better to start brighter and go darker than to start darker and try to make it brighter......Great piece either way. I just played them again this week and they blow me away every time.

#211 ·
It is good to know that Ben is still in the business. I think his fantastic mouthpieces sure deserve more recognition as they do now. But then again Ben may be
very busy already outside the spotlights.

I'd be interested in trying a fatter sounding 20TD. Just curious how it compares to my main piece the regular 20TD. I am totally happy with it though.
I might contact Ben about it in the near future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.