Sax on the Web Forum banner

Number of extant contras?

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Brenton 
#1 ·
Back in the 1980s/90s, it was estimated that there were 12 to 15 contrabass saxes in the world.

Then a company began making them to order, and I believe a few others followed suit.

Do we know of any current estimate about the number of these horns in existence?

#2 ·
Anthony Braxton got his hands on an antique contra, and recorded some noises which didn't speak well for musical potential of the horn. The liner notes on that album, IIRC, are where I first saw the estimate of 12-15 survivors. There was also an odd story about Braxton's horn having been discovered in an abandoned house.

The old contras (or at least some of them) had enormous bells - 20" or so. I'm curious whether they speak more slowly than the modern ones (e.g. from Eppelsheim). The Nuclear Whales player had one of the old contras, I think, and made great music with it. I'd like to see a list of the old-style ones which are playable, and not merely intact. I think some of those required a contrabass mouthpiece, which is not exactly an off-the-shelf item.

There is a Youtube video up which compares old and new contras - it's interesting.

So I too would be curious to know how many of the old giants are still playing. I'd pick an Eppelsheim or Stainer for busking though, if I had my pick!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.