Andreas Eastman - 52nd Street

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 411
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Andreas Eastman - 52nd Street

    I've seen a little bit posted about Andreas Eastman Saxophones (made in Taiwan, not the China made Eastman). Actually, kind of surprised I didn't see more. I particularly like the 52nd street alto. It's unlaquered and has a great, vibrant sound similar to a vintage sax. It appears to be very well made. I love the sound with my Meyer mouthpiece. Just using Rico Select Jazz for now since I can get them at the local music store. They seem to have less edge to them than the Vandorens I've used (ZZ, reds, greens...) These horns are really gaining in popularity and the prices seem to be going up on them, though it's the dealers that determine the price since you can't buy them directly from the company (not that I'm aware of anyhow.) At any rate, I got mine for $1,500 because the local dealer is selling off his instruments to focus solely on instrument repair. I compared this sax to a higher end Yamaha and the 52nd Street had a more vibrant tone. I was considering a Cannonball Big Bell Stone Series, but couldn't resist this Sax for the price. The 52nd Street also has a big bell which produces a bigger sound, yet it still fits in my gig bag. Really can't say enough about this horn. There are some pros who use it and endorse it and a good review that I saw on Youtube. The guy at Sax Alley really likes these horns (sorry, don't know his name, really nice guy though.) He suggested I try the Phil-Tone Solstice. He feels it works particularly well with this horn. I'm not endorsing any products, just simply sharing my experience with this horn. I'm a doubler (also play oboe/English Horn, Clarinet) so to go out and pay 4 grand or more for a horn is a bit much for me. I feel lucky to have gotten this sax for what I paid for it. The low and high notes come out extremely easily and I love the sound. Of course having the right mouthpiece can make a big difference as far as that's concerned. The stock mouthpiece it comes with isn't bad, but the low notes are a little more resistant than with my Meyer and of course doesn't produce as nice of a sound since it's made of cheaper material, but works well in a pinch, like recently due to issues with my Meyer (warping, I think.) Anyhow, here's a video link of a review I found on youtube.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-oIcjqvooU

  2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Forum Contributor 2016 TurtleJimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    2,534
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Andreas Eastman - 52nd Street

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheryl View Post
    I've seen a little bit posted about Andreas Eastman Saxophones (made in Taiwan, not the China made Eastman). Actually, kind of surprised I didn't see more. I particularly like the 52nd street alto. It's unlaquered and has a great, vibrant sound similar to a vintage sax. ]

    I'm surprised there isn't more in here about Eastman saxes. My friend has the 52nd Street tenor, and I've played it a few times. I thought it sounded great, somewhat like my Conn tenor, but quite a bit easier to play. Great intonation, unlacquered, rolled tone holes. They're nice.


    Turtle
    1956 Selmer Mark VI tenor / Dukoff Hollywood 6* mp / Alexander NY reeds

  4. #3

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Grafton, MA
    Posts
    235
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Lightbulb Re: Andreas Eastman - 52nd Street

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheryl View Post
    I've seen a little bit posted about Andreas Eastman Saxophones (made in Taiwan, not the China made Eastman). Actually, kind of surprised I didn't see more. I particularly like the 52nd street alto. It's unlaquered and has a great, vibrant sound similar to a vintage sax. It appears to be very well made. I love the sound with my Meyer mouthpiece. Just using Rico Select Jazz for now since I can get them at the local music store. They seem to have less edge to them than the Vandorens I've used (ZZ, reds, greens...) These horns are really gaining in popularity and the prices seem to be going up on them, though it's the dealers that determine the price since you can't buy them directly from the company (not that I'm aware of anyhow.) At any rate, I got mine for $1,500 because the local dealer is selling off his instruments to focus solely on instrument repair. I compared this sax to a higher end Yamaha and the 52nd Street had a more vibrant tone. I was considering a Cannonball Big Bell Stone Series, but couldn't resist this Sax for the price. The 52nd Street also has a big bell which produces a bigger sound, yet it still fits in my gig bag. Really can't say enough about this horn. There are some pros who use it and endorse it and a good review that I saw on Youtube. The guy at Sax Alley really likes these horns (sorry, don't know his name, really nice guy though.) He suggested I try the Phil-Tone Solstice. He feels it works particularly well with this horn. I'm not endorsing any products, just simply sharing my experience with this horn. I'm a doubler (also play oboe/English Horn, Clarinet) so to go out and pay 4 grand or more for a horn is a bit much for me. I feel lucky to have gotten this sax for what I paid for it. The low and high notes come out extremely easily and I love the sound. Of course having the right mouthpiece can make a big difference as far as that's concerned. The stock mouthpiece it comes with isn't bad, but the low notes are a little more resistant than with my Meyer and of course doesn't produce as nice of a sound since it's made of cheaper material, but works well in a pinch, like recently due to issues with my Meyer (warping, I think.) Anyhow, here's a video link of a review I found on youtube.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-oIcjqvooU
    I just read this and completely concur. I have owned a The Martin, Vikiing m58, and P Mauriat 67 RGL altos, and this is my favorite. I've even stopped trying out altos I see that in the past I'd have picked up to at least compare. I mostly play tenor -- not AS crazy about the 52 street tenors, though I really like the clips of others playing them. But this alto is so clear and full and in tune! My Vandoren v16 8 works great with it.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    2,997
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Andreas Eastman - 52nd Street

    I've heard conflicting reports on the Eastman. Their build quality seems to be hit or miss. My technician has seen quite a few of them (read: probably more than most people in the country) and he doesn't recommend them based solely on the shoddy build quality he's seen. It's not ALL the horns, but he says over half of them have serious issues going on, including the rolled tone holes, etc.

    Definitely a buyer beware for the Eastman horns. I've heard when they're put together well they can be nice horns.

    - Saxaholic

  7. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Grafton, MA
    Posts
    235
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Andreas Eastman - 52nd Street

    Quote Originally Posted by Saxaholic View Post
    I've heard conflicting reports on the Eastman. Their build quality seems to be hit or miss. My technician has seen quite a few of them (read: probably more than most people in the country) and he doesn't recommend them based solely on the shoddy build quality he's seen. It's not ALL the horns, but he says over half of them have serious issues going on, including the rolled tone holes, etc.

    Definitely a buyer beware for the Eastman horns. I've heard when they're put together well they can be nice horns.

    - Saxaholic
    I guess I got lucky. I had spoken with two players who had switched from PM 67's to these and heard third hand from a good tech guy that this was the best new alto he'd heard. So I took a chance and got this one in basically new condition, but at a steal practically. And it has been one of the very few horns I've bought that has had NO issues. But I appreciate the cautionary advice.

  8. #6
    Forum Contributor 2016 TurtleJimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    2,534
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Andreas Eastman - 52nd Street

    Quote Originally Posted by Saxaholic View Post
    I've heard conflicting reports on the Eastman. Their build quality seems to be hit or miss. My technician has seen quite a few of them (read: probably more than most people in the country) and he doesn't recommend them based solely on the shoddy build quality he's seen. It's not ALL the horns, but he says over half of them have serious issues going on, including the rolled tone holes, etc.

    Definitely a buyer beware for the Eastman horns. I've heard when they're put together well they can be nice horns.

    - Saxaholic


    I've heard just the opposite! My experience with Eastman tells me just the opposite.

    I own an Eastman tenor and it came with no issues and appears to be built like a tank. My local music store here in town has carried Eastman instruments for years now. I own three Eastman guitars, as well. The build quality of their guitars is great, and very consistent across hundreds of instruments that have gone through the store (I've played a lot of them). I also have one of their trumpets and it's built well, too.


    Turtle
    1956 Selmer Mark VI tenor / Dukoff Hollywood 6* mp / Alexander NY reeds

  9. #7
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2016
    JayePDX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    13,899
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Andreas Eastman - 52nd Street

    My tech tried one of these at a NAMM show a short time ago, he was pretty impressed with it, actually. And he knows his stuff regarding construction and tone.

    On the other hand, he was not at all impressed with the few Vikings he has serviced. So he put the Eastman in a completely different league.

    I have never seen nor tried one. They sound sorta interesting.
    Go for the Old-Skool, homies. www.2ndending.com

    (AdBlock Plus is your Friend https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir.../adblock-plus/)

  10. #8
    Forum Contributor 2008 lovesthesax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    525
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Andreas Eastman - 52nd Street

    So one Tech I spoke to attested that the 52nd street he borrowed for a gig once was easily better than any markvi's he's played. On the other had I've also spoken to another Tech with mixed feelings regarding build quality.
    I tried 3 of them at stores and shows, and all three felt and sounded different. It really comes down to the individual horn.
    =P

  11. #9
    Forum Contributor 2008 lovesthesax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    525
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Andreas Eastman - 52nd Street

    i also opted for a different horn since the 52nd st is unlacqured and may turn ugly over time. I also didn't quite like the ergonomics.
    =P

  12. #10
    SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    2,997
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Andreas Eastman - 52nd Street

    Quote Originally Posted by JayePDX View Post
    My tech tried one of these at a NAMM show a short time ago, he was pretty impressed with it, actually. And he knows his stuff regarding construction and tone.

    On the other hand, he was not at all impressed with the few Vikings he has serviced. So he put the Eastman in a completely different league.

    I have never seen nor tried one. They sound sorta interesting.
    Your tech tried one at a trade show? You mean where they go over those horns with a fine toothed comb before displaying it in front of players?

    How ironic. My tech has seen dozens of Eastman horns fresh out of the box and plenty of Vikings as well. There was no mistaking his opinion based on his status as a master tech with nearly 35 years of experience: the Vikings were built better and far more consistent.

    - Saxaholic

  13. #11

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,120
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Andreas Eastman - 52nd Street

    They had a Eastman 52nd tenor at Nick Rail Music when I was looking at horns. I acts the salesman about them. He said they were very good saxes. He acts if I wanted to try one, I told him sure, that I too had heard postive things about them. I took the sax off the wall stand, felt the ergo's, didn't like the way it felt, felt too much like a clunky/clanky Cannonball,lol that I used to have. I gave the horn back to him, without giving it a blow, told him that I'll just stick with my Yamahahahaha Z,lol.

  14. #12
    averageschmoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    1,009
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Andreas Eastman - 52nd Street

    At Sax Alley we've setup dozens of them without incident, any issues we've found have been simple enough to correct before shipping to the customer. Tim's been impressed enough by their sound and intonation that he's using one as his personal alto (his Super 20 is collecting dust).
    Maybe one day I'll get the hang of all this.

  15. #13

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    66
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Andreas Eastman - 52nd Street

    I do agree that the ergonomics were not as comfortable for me as some other horns, however, luckily I live near a great repairman who adjusted the height of some of the keys to make, for example, some of the rollers work more efficiently. This made a huge difference. I still think the g# key is a little close to the body of the sax, but it's not awful. Point is, everyone's different and what feels comfortable to one person doesn't necessarily feel comfortable to another. In my case, I was able to have some of the keys adjusted to make them ergonomically more comfortable (you can adjust the stack keys as well, there's a hex key included for that.) I don't notice any clunkiness issues at all, and the keys are very quiet, no clicking or clacking sounds. I'm not sure about protecting the unlacquered brass though. I wouldn't want to play it at an outdoor concert or parade if it was raining. Not sure how the bare brass holds up without lacquer to protect it. If anyone has tips for that other than wiping it off and keeping it dry, feel free to let me know. At any rate, I'm very happy with it so far considering what I paid for it. I will see how it holds up over the years to decide if it was a good investment or not. As I said, I'm a doubler, so I didn't want to pay a fortune for a sax if I didn't have to. This sax just happened to be at a local store and I got it for a great price. Well, at least if you look online to see what they are going for I would consider it a great price.

  16. #14

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,300
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Andreas Eastman - 52nd Street

    Quote Originally Posted by HeyJoe View Post
    They had a Eastman 52nd tenor at Nick Rail Music when I was looking at horns. I acts the salesman about them. He said they were very good saxes. He acts if I wanted to try one, I told him sure, that I too had heard postive things about them. I took the sax off the wall stand, felt the ergo's, didn't like the way it felt, felt too much like a clunky/clanky Cannonball,lol that I used to have. I gave the horn back to him, without giving it a blow, told him that I'll just stick with my Yamahahahaha Z,lol.
    But that's an apples and bowling balls comparison. They're talking about how they think all of these horns out of the same factory in China feel and play different because of the variation of laser engraved names on them.

  17. #15

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Grafton, MA
    Posts
    235
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Andreas Eastman - 52nd Street

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheryl View Post
    I do agree that the ergonomics were not as comfortable for me as some other horns, however, luckily I live near a great repairman who adjusted the height of some of the keys to make, for example, some of the rollers work more efficiently. This made a huge difference. I still think the g# key is a little close to the body of the sax, but it's not awful. Point is, everyone's different and what feels comfortable to one person doesn't necessarily feel comfortable to another. In my case, I was able to have some of the keys adjusted to make them ergonomically more comfortable (you can adjust the stack keys as well, there's a hex key included for that.) I don't notice any clunkiness issues at all, and the keys are very quiet, no clicking or clacking sounds. I'm not sure about protecting the unlacquered brass though. I wouldn't want to play it at an outdoor concert or parade if it was raining. Not sure how the bare brass holds up without lacquer to protect it. If anyone has tips for that other than wiping it off and keeping it dry, feel free to let me know. At any rate, I'm very happy with it so far considering what I paid for it. I will see how it holds up over the years to decide if it was a good investment or not. As I said, I'm a doubler, so I didn't want to pay a fortune for a sax if I didn't have to. This sax just happened to be at a local store and I got it for a great price. Well, at least if you look online to see what they are going for I would consider it a great price.
    I do find the ergos slightly trickier on the eastman, than on the Viking or PM 67. But I am much happier with the sound of the 52nd St., and I am willing to adjust to ergos to get better sound. One year in and I have had no problems technically and by the way, the bare brass finish looks the way it did a year ago-- spotless -- and it is the only UL horn I've had that has not had SOME discoloration or spots appear by now. So, at least my experience has been positive. I tell anyone, though, who is looking, to try to play a Viking M58 alto and the PM 67. I like all three a LOT. And the Viking and the Eastman have excellent intonation to my ear. ....

  18. #16
    StrongD's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    White Bear Lake, MN
    Posts
    887
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Andreas Eastman - 52nd Street

    I don't carry the Eastman in the shop I work in, but I wish I did. I had one in as a demo horn, and it was really nice. Perhaps in the future!
    Tenor: Selmer SIII - Phil-Tone Eclipse/RPC .110B Alto: Mark VI - Meyer 7M
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/davefstrong/videos Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/davefstrong

  19. #17
    Forum Contributor 2017
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    145
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Andreas Eastman - 52nd Street

    I played one in a big band last night. Bari player had been raving about his new Eastman 52st tenor. I can honestly say it was the easiest playing tenor I ever played. Low register was never a problem, no stuffy notes, octaves were very true, sound a little darker than I am used to. Played it almost 3 hours and the last tune was as good as the first. I think it's the best tenor I ever played. I've played many horns in my life. Owned a King Super 20, two MKIV's, and currently own a Buffett S1, Selmer USA, and a nice Jupiter silver tenor. I can't believe this knock-off has outplayed them all! Hats off to the company.
    Last edited by epssax; 07-28-2014 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Misspell

  20. #18
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2016
    JayePDX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    13,899
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Andreas Eastman - 52nd Street

    Quote Originally Posted by Saxaholic View Post
    Your tech tried one at a trade show? You mean where they go over those horns with a fine toothed comb before displaying it in front of players?

    How ironic. My tech has seen dozens of Eastman horns fresh out of the box and plenty of Vikings as well. There was no mistaking his opinion based on his status as a master tech with nearly 35 years of experience: the Vikings were built better and far more consistent.

    - Saxaholic
    Should be noted here for all to read that you are one of the Viking boosters on this site, so of course folks can take your posts as they wish. The slight aggressiveness of your reply here is quite indicative, as well as a tad inappropriate, actually....but pretty much in character.

    Since my previous post... another Eastman came into his shop, an Alto matter of fact... and he was equally impressed with it.

    The two horns which he has worked on (one of which I have seen and tried) being the brand of horns you attest to, on the other hand, have been consistent...in their questionable build and somewhat lackluster tonal qualities.

    Quote Originally Posted by Saxaholic View Post
    ....where they go over those horns with a fine toothed comb before displaying it in front of players?

    One can say the exact same thing about a product rep who 'sends' a horn out with the specific intent that it be 'reviewed' by someone, no ?
    (How ironic, indeed....)

    Eastman makes quite decent instruments of other kinds. Their electric guitars are pretty well respected by players; they actually make some really sweet hollowbodies.
    If the quality control of their other instruments is any indication, perhaps they have successfully bridged over into brasswinds. Most replies and opinions here would indicate they have done so.

    As you have noted yourself in the past, I am no big fan of contemporary boutique brands....but again, my tech is top notch and a hella player, so if he has come across two Eastmans separate situations and has appreciated both, that's a pretty good indication for me, so am passing it along.

    Go for the Old-Skool, homies. www.2ndending.com

    (AdBlock Plus is your Friend https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir.../adblock-plus/)

  21. #19
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2016
    JayePDX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    13,899
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Andreas Eastman - 52nd Street

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheryl View Post
    I will see how it holds up over the years to decide if it was a good investment or not.
    The ultimate test of whether a new brand is actually a quality instrument. Time will always tell.
    Go for the Old-Skool, homies. www.2ndending.com

    (AdBlock Plus is your Friend https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir.../adblock-plus/)

  22. #20
    Forum Contributor 2016 TurtleJimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    2,534
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Andreas Eastman - 52nd Street

    Since WWBW is now carrying Eastman saxophones, I think we're going to find out a lot more about them.


    Turtle
    1956 Selmer Mark VI tenor / Dukoff Hollywood 6* mp / Alexander NY reeds

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •