Sax on the Web Forum banner

How old is this Soprano?

3K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  bruce bailey 
#1 ·
Hey guys, another old saxophone,Lyon & Healy "American Professional" Chicago.
It looks old, SN:90,000.low pitch
Musical instrument Reed Reed instrument Wind instrument Wood

See less See more
#5 ·
Looks like it's in an auction house, if it's the value you are after bear in mind that it needs an overhaul, possibly the body need straightening, the keywork is pre 20s, keyed only up to Eb. Not a very desirable instrument. It could well be high pitch.

As sax tech says, it may also have a double octave mechanism, ouch. A nice wall ornament IMO unless you want to put lists of money and like instruments that are (for want of a better word) pre-vintage.

#6 ·
Looks like it's in an auction house, if it's the value you are after bear in mind that it needs an overhaul, possibly the body need straightening, the keywork is pre 20s, keyed only up to Eb. Not a very desirable instrument. It could well be high pitch.
The OP states low pitch, so I'm assuming it's marked somewhere on the horn. It did look like it took a knock on the bell flare however. Being keyed only to Eb3 could mean it's a C soprano There's also the remote possibility it's a sopranino... but I'd bet on C soprano. A measurement of it's length would be most helpful in this regard. Also if the serial number is in the form of an arch rather than a straight line, it might be indicative of a Buescher; which keyed their early curved sopranos to Eb3 as well as their early C straight sopranos, but not the straight Bb sopranos.

#7 ·
Yes it is a C soprano judging from the high Eb and the placement of the low C lever. It would measure about 22" without the mouthpiece. A Buescher for sure (G# lever hinge). I would put it at 1918-23ish and if the serial number follows the Buescher numbers, 1921. Should be worth about $150 tops in this condition.

#10 ·
If you can buy it for under $150 and have someone to restore it for $350 or so AND want a C soprano, yes, worth buying. Buescher labeled C sopranos usually go for about $700 in playing shape and can run over $1,500 in gold plate with new pads. I have sold a few and they usually bring about $1,200. I have one now that is in excellent condition which will probably bump into the $1,250 range. Sometimes you can find one in the $500 range only needing minimal work.

#15 ·
The C sopranos I have sold range in the $700 range for a Conn to a bit over $1,000 for a Holton or Buescher. The $1,200 figure would be for a Buescher I have right now with good factory first lacquer and all the snaps and a good case. Today, condition can make a big price difference with repads costing so much.

Also Yanagisawa never had a C soprano, only Bb.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.