Sax on the Web Forum banner

New Bass Sax mouthpiece by Fred Lebayle

14K views 41 replies 16 participants last post by  LowWoodwindMan 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I know how hard it is to find a great bass sax mouthpiece. I've been working with Fred Lebayle to make the best bass sax piece available. I feel confident that this will make many bass sax players very happy! Here is a clip of me playing the new "Rosie" piece:

And here's a link to where you can buy one that will be handmade and tested before being shipped.
http://r.ebay.com/P3a1gE

This came about after playing pretty much every bass piece available, and also most baritone mouthpieces on bass.

#34 ·
I heard from some beatnik guy I met at a jazz bar in Hollywood that Fred Lebayle and Morgan Fry ran into each other at the market coincidentally a few months back and decided to retire in Bora Bora together. I don't know if this is accurate information but the beatnik seemed legit.:drunken:

#35 ·
I just read this post from LowWoodwindMan from 2016

"I haven't wanted to say anything, but now I feel I need to. Fred has some serious mental health problems. I am not trying to make excuses for him, but this is true. All of the people close to him know this. I truly believe he's a genius and many people I know agree. He makes some of the best mouthpieces in the world, and has more well known players on his pieces than anyone else in the industry. He's dealing with a lot. Fred is trying to get some help and I really hope he does."

I hope Fred is ok.

#36 ·
there is a lot more to this, no problem can justify embezzling money from people.

Hello everyone, no I'm not working with Fred anymore. I used to buy mouthpieces in bulk from him that I checked individually for quality, but because of how unprofessionally and unethically he has treated people I no longer work with him. I have about twenty five pieces left, but I'm not buying more stock. His actions are indefensible even though he has some very serious illnesses. I would never treat people this way and have been extremely disappointed. He now lives in France and I don't know if his business is going to continue.

#37 ·
I hope he gets help too and makes right the people who lost money. He is talented but has also released a lot of nearly unplayable pieces on the market.

Hopefully he gets back to doing the work he is capable of doing.

My personal advice to someone in such a described situation would be to raise prices, make less mouthpieces and not to overextend to the point where customers get ripped off or quality suffers.

I make a conscious effort not to overextend. I only add a store or two when one fades or closes. Its important to know ones limits. If you want to be a Jody or a Theo you better get a quality crew. If you plan to work by yourself you best not stretch it.

#38 ·
I don’t think the problems are only in production, there is way more than this.

My wife works with people with all manners of problems. Many of them need a guardian in order to function in society. A person with this kinds of problems shouldn’t be allowed to make financial decisions especially if these affect others .

Again, this is not ONLY not being capable (OR NOT) to fulfill promises.

#40 ·
Well the problem is also that in some kind of cases, due to the affliction, one is incapable of taking advise or accepting to work with or for someone else.

At this stage, with his name tainted as it is, it would be difficult to go any further with this “ brand” unless someone would be able to resuscitate production and re-build trust.

The brand is well known and despite the shortcomings, the market at large (made up of people buying in shops) is rather oblivious to all that has happened. So, it may be revived, but it would take some work.

#42 ·
The answer to your question is that Lebayle isn't making many pieces because he's been fighting a serious disease. This is why he moved back to France-for the health care. He has been only making a few mouthpieces in the last couple years. Right now I have some pieces on eBay of his, some studio alto, studio tenor, Rosie baritone, and jazz soprano pieces. Here is a link to a baritone Rosie.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/202792335255

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.