Sax on the Web Forum banner

Zephyr Fan Club!!!

55K views 185 replies 81 participants last post by  JimD 
#1 ·
I absolutely love my 323xxx 53' Zephyr Alto! When I went shopping for a new horn I chose it over a King S20 and a Conn 6M. At the beginning I thought it would still be nice to have one of the S20s I had tried out more than 5 years ago when I was living in Port., OR. Now that I have this horn under my fingers, I'm glad I didn't choose another one. While the 6M's a great horn, my Zephyr has such a range of sound possibilities. It sound great when I play dark, bright, and in the mulit-phonic range. There's nothing this horn isn't well equiped to do! I play on a Lakey mpc too, but I've no problems conrolling this horn (well, except when my lip starts going numb and blown out.) Who else loves their Zephyr?

#101 ·
I prefer the sound of my S20's over my Zep but my Zephyr is an early sixties model. My Z has the same large bore as the S20 but with the brass neck it's brighter. Obviously the Zephyr became the intermediate model for King but it has all the power of the Super 20. I've been telling people forever that you can get S20 vibe for under 1500 dollars if you look around. I got my Zephyr for $700. BTW, I'm comparing tenor models.

#103 ·
Looking for some wisdom and this place looks ripe.

I've been lugging around a King Zephyr Alto SN375xxx for decades. Anyway I've got a young church musician whose got IT in spades. When he plays during a worship service, it's no service interlude musak but a soulful righteous prayer- prayer in the Coltraine vein- prayer that blesses those with ears to hear- prayer that verges on raising the dead in Christ aka Methodists. So I was talking to his mom this morning and she tells me he's been yearning to play the sax. Would I be doing him any favors to give him mine? Would love to give him a refurbished horn if its worth investing in and within a not-ready-for-prime-time-preacher's-salary range. What ya think?

#104 ·
I guess the place does look kind of ripe at times, but you get used to it.

Is the question whether a Zephyr alto would work OK for an introductory level saxophone?

I think your question really is "how much will it cost to make this work?" Is it in good playing condition? Does it come with a mouthpiece that suits it? Maybe it's ready to go, maybe it needs $500-$1000. Zephyr or whatever, I don't think that's an issue.

#105 ·
Possibly a new member here. I just bought this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Bra...LwinnsUwD%2BAM4hjRW0g%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Serial #382192. According to Saxpics, 383*** is the break off for double socket necks. It will be interesting to see what this one has. I can't tell from the picks. Maybe other Zephyr fans could tell.

It looks like the floating lever is broken. Hopefully it's reasonable fix. For $600 I had to take a shot and hear what it sounds like. Seller has a 14 day return policy so if it's a dog it will go back.

#108 ·
Thanks. If I ever lose (quit) my day job, there's a business to be had in buying smart off ebay and reselling with better pictures.

I'm estimating that there is a 20-25% markup available, and that's not a bad return on your money for doing practically nothing.

Of course you have to invest in a good camera and the time to learn how to use it. But again, a relatively small investment.

#109 ·
Maybe someone can give me an idea of the value of my Zephyr special Alto. Its a 273xxx. Silver neck... Good condition... A few dings here and there. I've owned it for 37 years. I purchased it from a guy by the name of George Barton. He was the original owner. George had pics in his office of him with Louie Armstrong and Benny Goodman. This sax has seen some use but still in decent condition. 1945 according to the serial number listings.. Any idea on the rough value of this? I've seen pricing all over the map. If I were to sell it, I wouldnt want to rip anyone off nor be ripped off myself...

#111 · (Edited)
Time for a new fan. I'm smitten with my recently acquired 1946 Zephyr. Ser.# 2785XX. It's easy to
see what all the fuss is about. This one has the extra bell an bow engraving, bell brace, plus two key cup engraving of the S20.
No silver neck though.

These vintage Zephyrs seem to have loads of character and the feel/balance
is intimate. Good intonation and I was surprised by it's volume.

Attachments

#113 ·
This thread talks about a Zephyr fan club, so I just created a group for Zephyr lovers. I have a tenor and two altos I love, and anyone else who wants to step up can join the group.

#117 ·
Hey all,

I've posted my zeph alto for sale in the marketplace, but considering keeping it And restoring it to original condition. What would the best resos be for a 29x, xxx era horn? Cheers
Do you want to use the best or restore it to original condition?

#118 ·
Hey ving,
I have four Zephyr tenors 281xxx,299xxx.305xxx,340xxx

The 340xxxx has nylon Selmer type resos and the others all have flat metal resos.
Three tenors have really good pads and the 305xxx has a mix of newer and older pads.
All pads are sealing well.

Negligible difference really.
I do prefer flat metal resos for some reason on the Zephyrs that have them.

I'd probably like Reso-tech resos too.
I have them on a The Martin Tenor.

#121 ·
Here is a clip of Perth saxman Carl Mackey sounding fabulous on a late '40s-'50s, I would guess, King Zephyr tenor.
Etta James cover I'd Rather Go Blind.
Solo starts at approx 2:32

Screamin' bad @ss tenor tone

#122 ·
I'm part of the club. Just got the new to me Zephyr tenor back from adjustments. Mine is 1945ish Vintage, serial 2692xx. Double socket neck, triple ring strap hook... And my oh my the tone.Big, rich but not overly bright and the low register booms like nobody's business.

I'm using a modern Link STM NY, 7* tip and Java Red 3 reeds.

I still don't have my technique as fluid as I would like. Adjusting to Vintage keywork is a process after all.

I was telling my wife the only reason I'd change is to play something different.

Speaking of which, time to head home and practice while I have the house to myself!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Forum Runner

#124 ·
So I've had about 4 weeks and most of the physical clumsiness is gone. I'm still not used to the g# not being automatic with c#/b/Bb.

Tone (and intonation) is getting better. I am trying different reeds, D'Addario Jazz Select filed 3M. I am finding there's less "Reed buzz" and more tone. I'm not sure that I am using the best terminology, but there you have it.

I am stripping the bad lacquer job and turning it into a brushed finish. A "Zatin Zephyr" if you will.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Forum Runner

#125 ·
Count me in! Ser# 265xxx so that puts it around 1942, it's an alto. Has probably 85% - 90% original lacquer that is that deep honey color. 3-ring strap hook, double socket neck etc. I love how it sounds. Dark but not "muddy", just kind of right. You can get loud with it. Like others have mentioned here, it kind of "vibrates" in your hand which I hadn't even noticed till I read it here. I just bought a Selmer SA80 "Series I" and I love that too (still on my "honeymoon" with that one) but they are 2 completely different horns, which is nice. I got turned on to King when I got switched to tenor way back in high school and the school had a King that I used. I'm sure it was probably an East Lake student model but it rocked. Some people seem to knock the "old-fashioned" ergos but my hands seem fine with the straight up-and-down keywork, it almost seems faster to me (not that I play "fast"!) than the more modern offset hand position, although that set-up "feels" better when I first hold the horn. Weird. I'd love an S20 but I don't know if I'll ever be able to part with this horn.

Anyway I play either a Meyer 6 or a Greg Weir 5 with Vandoren ZZ 2 1/2s but I'd like to step it up a little without over-stressing my chops. Any suggestions?

#130 ·
I’ve had my new 307XXX, double-socket Zephyr alto for a couple of weeks now, courtesy of Jaye, who gave her a thorough overhaul and setup. I wanted a horn diametrically opposed to my ’46 The Martin alto, and believe I’ve found her.

So far, everything I’ve read about these Zephyrs is true, right down to the the LH pinky table, which is considerably worse than even The Martin’s: it's hard to mentally map the layout for some reason, and low B requires concentrated effort. But the keywork is sleek and fast, and it really does vibrate in your hands: this Zephyr’s tone is undeniably royal, and its sheer power intimidating. I put an Art Pepper model red Runyon Custom on her, and nearly blew the doors down.

It’s an early birthday gift to myself, and while my eye was admittedly drawn by a more done-up and pricey Zephyr Special, I think this rather special Z. will fit the bill--at least until my next milestone comes along.

The search for the perfect mouthpiece continues. . . .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.