Sax on the Web Forum banner

My new mouthpiece finally it's legal

27K views 52 replies 30 participants last post by  bb 
#1 ·
I am very proud to say that the Sterling Silver PPT is now legal. Due to a misunderstanding over hallmarks, it previously just had the makers make as opposed to the full set of Assay Office marks.

I had to send them the mouthpiece (which probably still had a bit of James Carter's saliva) for analysis and stamping with the 13th century marks proving the purity of the silver.

Without these it was illegal for me to sell the mouthpiece.

See less See more
#14 ·
I saw this piece in person at the San Francisco SOTW meet-up with Pete, after he'd been to NAMM. With the Brancher lig, I said it looked like a piece of fine jewelry. Indeed, most elegant. I'd love to have one. Need new shoes first.

#20 ·
Britain has always had very strict laws governing silver and gold purity and proper, accurate hallmarks. This is one reason why historically British silver and gold, and items crafted from it, have been held in high esteem and degree of accountability.

#31 ·
Pete.
We have seen the beautiful outside....& appearance is important to most, but what does the inside look like?
At whom have you aimed it?
Those who wish to sound like Ben Webster, or those who wish to peel paint?
My guess would be somewhere down the middle with a flexible tonal palette.
Some mouthpiece manufacturers claim that theirs is the Holy Grail, but I suspect that you are more modest.
If you were to pitch it, how would you describe it?

#32 ·
We have seen the beautiful outside....& appearance is important to most, but what does the inside look like?
Dark and creamy with sensuous undertones.

At whom have you aimed it?
Rich people.

Those who wish to sound like Ben Webster, or those who wish to peel paint?
Both. If Ben Webster was alive he would want one, especially when needing to do some paint stripping.

Some mouthpiece manufacturers claim that theirs is the Holy Grail, but I suspect that you are more modest.
If you were to pitch it, how would you describe it?
The Holy Grail on steroids.

#34 ·
It occurs to me that marketing will be a problem.
It has to be expensive, & most are reluctant to fork out large sums without having tried it.
Could you perhaps make a few in brass, or hard rubber as a pass-around.
I, for one, would like to try it.....but I would need to try it first. It may well be perfect for you, but not for others.

#35 ·
It occurs to me that marketing will be a problem.
It has to be expensive, & most are reluctant to fork out large sums without having tried it.
Could you perhaps make a few in brass, or hard rubber as a pass-around.
I have them in brass and hard rubber.

Here is the hard rubber:

Brass:

#36 ·
I have a PPT 9* metal mouthpiece. If you've never seen one up close, the first thing that will strike you is it's beautiful gold plating and it's weight when you pick it up. (It's heavy!) Turn it over to inspect the rails and chamber and you are going to see the most meticulous tip and rail work that has ever come out of Great Britain! To me, it's a large chamber mouthpiece with a high rollover baffle that seems to be smoothly stepped. I know this thread is about the Sterling PPT and I'm here ranting about my brushed gold plated model.... For some of you who are curious, I just wanted to share some of my thoughts about my PPT now that I've been playing it for over a year. MS reeds work really well on it, cane and synthetics.
The intonation is the best I've had on my Super 20's and I like that it tunes far up the neck cork. I play with some loud jobbing bands and R&B groups but I also play jazz as part of a duo. This mouthpiece cuts everything with ease. It's as loud and powerful as anything I've ever used without being overly bright. (The tone has a great core.) Altissimo notes pop out with ease and low Bb flats are earth shaking. I really appreciate this mpc on my duo gigs, I can whisper through this mpc and play medium volume without feeling that I'm backing off. These are not inexpensive mouthpieces. They are fairly priced when you consider that Ed Pillinger and Morgan Fry did the work on them. I also feel that this is a very original design that isn't a knockoff of a classic Link, Berg, etc. I don't know how the brass model compares to the sterling but this I know... You're getting a high end, no compromises mouthpiece.

#38 ·
Pete did do a passaround with the brass version a while back. I got to try it and I think vbluesman's description is right on money.

Hey Pete, I'm going to beg to differ with you on making a recording. I think you should provide a clip with you playing it; that will be a very good marketing strategy, indeed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.