Sax on the Web Forum banner

10mfan METAL Merlot and Robusto tenor mouthpieces are now READY!

231K views 599 replies 94 participants last post by  10mfan 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I am now officially taking orders for the metal Merlot and Robusto models!!!!!

If you yearn for ORIGINAL design modern mouthpieces that don't feel, look, or sound like anyone elses mouthpieces--- here's your opportunity.

I am ALL about carving my OWN path with original design mouthpieces that for me, outplay the vintage mouthpieces in the 3 categories I have set them up in.

THE BOSS model (my 3rd category piece that will have tons of power and volume, but also loads of body), will be out in the next month or so, but right now you have 2 new options to choose from with my metal MERLOT and ROBUSTO models. These are my first 2 category mouthpieces and in case you have been on Mars the last 9 months, you can read about that on my website: www.10mfan.com :)

I could not be any prouder of these pieces. These have great body and soul. They are not all about just volume and they offer the player the perfect amount of resistance in my opinion, to be able to shape the sound how they want. These are very colorful and resonant and Eric Falcon has worked with me beautifully with these to help me make my dreams come true.

I GREATLY encourage everyone who owns vintage metal mouthpieces like Links, Dukoffs, Zimberoffs, Selmers, Gales, and ALL the copycat mouthpieces of those pieces----- to see what I have been up to. I believe strongly, that you will be blown away....I AM. Eric Falcon said the Merlot and Robusto metal mouthpieces will absolutely knock out the guys who especially love vintage Links, and want MORE than their Links will give them. He told me that he has kept 2 very special Florida Links in his personal collection for a very long time, that he has considered to be the BEST examples for him of those pieces. He told me that the Robusto for him, absolutely smokes them both and he is VERY excited because he knows players will go nuts for these. I have compared the Merlot and Robusto metals to the best vintage metals here in my personal collection, and they just outplay them for me. I would not pick any of the vintage metal pieces I have here that fit into my first and second categories, over these 2 pieces I am releasing. This has been a lot of work for Eric and myself and has taken an enormous amount of time, money, and energy to complete.

THANK YOU ALL FOR STAYING PATIENT WITH ME THROUGH THIS.

I THOUGHT LONG AND HARD ABOUT PRICING!!!!!

I have wanted from day one, to make modern mouthpieces that outplay vintage mouthpieces and are affordable for musicians today. I spent years selling high end vintage mouthpieces that many musicians could not afford, so the mouthpieces ended up going to many dealers overseas. Prices got nuts for the vintage pieces so it was super important for me to get my head back on straight and undercharge for my hard rubber modern 10mfan™ line of mouthpieces so players could enjoy them and not feel like they emptied the bank account to do so! $385 for my pure hard rubber bar stock mouthpieces is an incredible deal. I see copy pieces of vintage mouthpieces going for much more, and there's no reason for that at all. Modern mouthpieces shoudn't be priced in the stratosphere, in my opinion. I think modern mouthpieces should be able to be bought for what you would get for a couple very good playing gigs.

I look at the marketplace and I see loads of copies of Links, Dukoffs, Guardalas, Meyer Bros, etc... its never ending. So I said to myself that I should be charging much more than those, because mine are actually ORIGINAL and have taken an ENORMOUS amount of time, money, and hard work to get right.

Well...thats one reasonable way to look at it, but the bottom line is I just can't see charging $850 or $750 for a modern mouthpiece that isn't rare or collectible by any means, like the vintage mouthpieces are. In fact, I can't see charging $650 either. I asked MANY players where they think my metals should be priced based on affordability and what they thought I would be asking.... and amongst the 40-50 people I asked, those players thought I'd come in at around the $550-$650 range.

I decided that I will do exactly what I did with my hard rubber pieces, (which have turned out to be incredibly successful), and ask much less than I know I should in order to get more people to play on the mouthpieces and see how fantastic they are. I am hoping with the addition of these metals and 2 hard rubber altos coming this summer, (they have been in the works for quite some time, and I think a summer release is VERY realistic.)---to sell WELL over 1,000 mpc's my first year of sales directly to players.

Back to the price of my metals....
I am going to price them lower than they should be---I am going to offer them at only $495.
To me, it's another gift price for my mouthpieces, so I hope this makes many of you happy.

My mouthpieces are made of brass and will be silver plated and engraved with my 10mfan™ logo, model name, and tip opening. I am not gold plating them because I want to save YOU money. Eric does a wonderful job with his plating and they will look and play gorgeous. EVERY mouthpiece will be hand finished by Eric and play tested by both Eric and myself before they are sent out. My pieces have a bite plate and are really fantastic. I do not have any "finished" version photos to release. You will have to wait till the first group of orders are completed. I just have the prototypes here, but I won't put up pics of those.
My website will have to wait too. :)

A FEW LIGS THAT WILL FIT MY METAL MOUTHPIECES:

Selmer 404---cannot be one that is already bent from the top ridge of an Otto lLnk. It must be virgin.

Ishimori---Otto link M size

Silverstein metal tenor lig

Vandoren V16 optimum

Marc Jean---I'll get you the size

Any Rovner in the 3ML or L13 size

BG sized for a metal Link

Rico H lig HTS2

I AM OFFERING THE MOST COMPLETE SELECTION OF TIP SIZE OPTIONS AVAILABLE TO THE BUYER FOR BOTH MY METAL MERLOT AND ROBUSTO MODELS: 4*-12*

I already have a bunch of names on a list who wanted these when they came out, and I will be officially taking all other orders starting NOW.

Just email me and tell me what tip size and model you want, and I will have you send a paypal. We will not be able to get the first orders out for about 1 month due to the back up with the rubber mouthpieces and the first group of metal orders, but one month or so isn't too long to wait for something new that's actually original.

You can email me at: connsaxman@comcast.net

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE MOST INCREDIBLE 9 MONTHS I COULD HAVE EVER HOPED FOR IN TERMS OF MAKING SOOOOO MANY PLAYERS SO HAPPY ALL OVER THE WORLD, AND THERE WILL BE MORE TO COME FROM ME WITH ALTO AND SOPRANO AND POSSIBLY BARI MOUTHPIECES...

YOUR SUPPORT AND KIND WORDS HAVE BEEN SO GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

*** You will need to order the metals directly through me via my email until I have my web guy set up the page on my website. He will be doing that this week for me. ***

Thank you.
All the best, Mark

See less See more
#246 ·
Players have received Merlot metals.
There are a couple beautiful clips of David Wells on the Merlot on posts #213 and #214

Guido, Jlima, Mike T, and Chicken 'Lil are a few to get their Merlots. Mostly Robustos have been ordered, but the Merlot is special and very flexible with a beautiful even scale top to bottom. Many will get hip to it as the word gets out.
Dick Hamer at South Wales Woodwind should have some in any day now.

#247 ·
I have a metal Merlot with me. It's been just a few days with it so far and I never rush to judgement about a piece. So all I will say for now is that first impressions are very favorable.

#253 ·
I was wondering
About the inside more- baffle height, etc...
will, in case you're wondering, this mpc plays a lot more like a really good Link, but with a bigger sound & more power, than like any high baffle mpc. It's not a high baffle...

A few more observations after playing the metal Robusto 9 on a couple more gigs:

I played it the other night on a gig in a raucous bar scene. The band was cranked up (in volume; probably too much). And I have to tell you this mpc just kicks $%^! Not just that it's powerful, but I LOVE the tone quality I get out of it no matter how loud or soft I play it. I'm really glad I got the 9 tip; it seems just right for me and allows a huge sound (again at any volume). This mpc takes a LOT of air and you can push it to the moon, but it still won't break up. In fact I'd say you have to put that air in it, or at low volume use lots of air support, to really get the sound.

It's sure working for me and I'm sure it will only get better; I'd say this is a mpc that will reward putting in the time to get really used to it.

#252 ·
#254 ·
Thanks JL

I am only really undecided on tip opening rather
Than model. I have enough link low baffle pieces for
A merlot, and I'm not looking for Clarence Clemmons
In the super high baffle one, so Robusto seems good.

I just don't know which opening, without knowing how it feels
Or how reeds respond . Below are some pieces I play (I'm a junkie I know),
Maybe someone could suggest a tip opening . It would be 8, 8* or 9

I play:
Wanna Durga 8
Klum link .112 slight roll over baffle
Jody jazz chi 8*
CE winds Florida
Navarro Bahia 8

Hmmm, maybe I don't need one?
Ha- no really these metals sound great, and the Robusto
Would round it out.

Thanks for any help , Will

#255 ·
I have enough link low baffle pieces for
A merlot, and I'm not looking for Clarence Clemmons
In the super high baffle one, so Robusto seems good.
Based on that, yes, the Robusto would be a great choice, imo.

Regarding tip size, maybe talk to Mark about it. I'd be reluctant to try and tell anyone else what tip to play. I picked the 9 because that's the tip I've played for years on my RPC and I find it comfortable and feel I'm able to generate a bigger, deeper tone quality than I get on anything in a smaller tip.

#256 ·
IMO Mark's pieces do not play the way you would expect looking at the baffle.
My HR Merlot 9 is a piece that can be really versatile (I did not get along with the Robusto, though).
I am in line for a metal version, that I don't really need. Find a way to try one, it still is the best test.

sent from a cheap touchscreen mobile phonw

#258 ·
IMO Mark's pieces do not play the way you would expect looking at the baffle.
Let me try to explain.
I see two big families of mouthpieces: Otto Link, with more or less baffle and different baffle designs, and Berg Larsen, with a higher or lower baffle and a medium chamber.
10mFan pieces cannot be analised comparing them to these two main categories, whatever they look like.
There is something in the original design that makes the playing experience quite unique. Also they are very reactive to player and reeds. If you check the videos of all the musicians that play a Merlot 9 (my piece) you will hear completely different sounds
It is really worth trying one for a few days, with different reeds, before making a judgment.

I am really excited by the HR I have, and I am willing to own a metal too, for the sake of it. I trust Mark's judgment it will sound different, but I am sure it will keep its flexibility. An exciting challenge.

#259 ·
Up until now, I've seen all of the positive accolades about the 10Mfan Robusto metal mouthpiece. Well I pleased to say I'm part of that great group of users and believers in the Robusto. Wow, from a whisper to a scream, from a gut bucket blues to a lush ballad this mouthpiece instantly interprets and produces what you command it to do. Easy blowing, easy articulation, spot on intonation, full thick resonant sound, the tone is just incredible in each note from bottom to top altissimo notes.

I tried a variety of reeds (Rico Royal, RJS, Vandoren (Green and Red box, ZZ's) and Rigotti med) and ligatures and they
were all very playable and responsive on the Robusto. That did not happen on some of other pieces. I like the Rigotti and Selmer 404 set up the best. I've made two great purchase this year, a Viking M58S tenor and now the 10Mfan Robusto.

Lastly, if you have any questions concerning the mouthpiece, call Mark, you'll find him to be super hospitable and knowledgeable about his products and anything related to the sax.

#260 ·
Thank you so much!
I am really glad that you love the mouthpiece so much. It is incredibly flexible and can do so much--but most important, its really a super joy to play. I like that you tried a variety of reeds and Rigotti with the 404 ligature has been a very popular set up so far. The more you play the mouthpiece, the more you will find out what it can do. Honestly, there really isn't anything it can't do. Thank you very much for writing all of this and I am glad that it works so well with your Viking saxophone. Rich is making wonderful horns and they are a super great match for my mouthpieces for sure.

All the very best, Mark

#263 ·
My pieces are incredibly reed friendly and have so much flexibility in what each model is capable of.
Many have commented that they love the Rigottis, ZZ's, V16's, RJS, Lavoz, etc...
Choose the reed that gives you what YOU want. No rights or wrongs here.
Just have fun and enjoy!
The feedback has been incredible and I'm very proud of all my tenor mouthpieces.
They're for everyone to enjoy.

#264 ·
I've had a 10mfan Robusto 8* for 5 days now, courtesy of Dick Hamer (anyone in the UK wanting to check these out contact Dick, he's extremely efficient & good to do business with).

I had never imagined wanting an 8* as 7* or sometimes 8 usually felt right before (though I did like the Drake Bergonzi 8*). Occasional dalliances with wider tips just made me feel I was having to work too hard. This piece is really effortless to play, but also keeps on going when you blow harder. Dark, bright & spread at the same time with an easily accessible wide expressive range. Quite a revelation. It was only on Mark's insistence I even tried the 8* - I had assumed the 7* would be best for me. I tried the 7*, too, and it was great - but this is better!

Observations: this is a big, heavy mouthpiece and needs larger metal-piece ligatures. The Rico H-lig works brilliantly for me. I didn't like the Selmer 404 or any of 3 Rovners I tried as they all seemed to choke it a bit. The H-lig released the beast! I had to bend the sides out a little to accommodate the wider shape & open up the screws a long way. It was very comfortable to play for me as I'm used to STMs, which are bigger that most other metal pieces. The larger size gives you less "embouchure fatigue". The silver requires more concentration to line the reed up against as it doesn't present as clear a background as gold or HR.

I've posted some clips on my website page, which you can check out here:

http://www.daveohiggins.com/boffins-corner-cont-2/

I have already road tested it in a few situations (big band, studio recording & jazz quintet gig). The jazz quintet gig I did was acoustic (I always play acoustic if at all possible) and the Robusto was fat, projecting & extraordinarily fast - almost ran away with me a bit...

#268 ·
Funny, I find it completely the opposite, as silver plate makes the reed stand out more to me than gold plate.
Rubber is the best because of the black background.
I was taught to keep the reed all the way up to the tip of the mouthpiece, so it's not an issue at all for me....it's simply how I would put any reed on any mouthpiece.
We make our tip rails thin, so I tell everyone to make sure the reed is all the way up to the tip.

JL and Dave O----I am glad to hear you two are loving your mouthpieces.

#269 ·
Because on more open tips when the reed comes to touch the tip the curve causes the reed to land short I mount the reed with the facing away from me. When I can just see a hair of the tip of the reed at eye level I know it is right for me.

I have to confess I didn't think of this...LOL...Gene Hardy showed me

#272 ·
I was taught to suck the reed a few seconds to wet it, wipe it on the table so there'd be a good seal, then put the reed in position with the ligature over it and before tightening the screws hold the mouthpiece out in front of you with the reed closest to you, and slide the reed up the mouthpiece until you can see only a hair-thin sliver of the mouthpiece tip above the reed. Then hold the reed firmly in place and tighten the screws. The weird thing is, after you do this, if you turn the mouthpiece around so that the reed is on the outside and sight the tip you'll see a hair-thin sliver of the reed sticking up above the piece.

There's no taste in the world like the taste of a brand-new cane reed. Pure heaven. I can't understand these guys who choose to use synthetic reeds and miss out on that flavour.

#276 ·
Ian,
I'm very glad to hear this! The feedback has been incredible on the new metals and we are filling tons of orders. Dave O'Higgins is having a blast with his and I will be posting some audios shortly from him. Once we get caught up with most of the orders, we will allow more dealers to pick up the metals also. Enjoy the Robusto and I will let you know when your Merlot metal is done for you. What reed and lig combo are you using?

All the best, Mark

Come and see what all the talk is about:
www.10mfan.com

#277 ·
DAVE O'HIGGINS ON THE NEW 10MFAN ROBUSTO METAL 8*

Enjoy!!!!

Dave is using a Rico Jazz Select 3m reed and Rico H ligature.

Many more audios coming----I just want to get caught up with a lot of the orders first. We have been working on all the orders since the end of April when I made the announcement here, so I just want to express my sincerest appreciation for all the great support here at SOTW!

Come and see what all the talk is about:
www.10mfan.com

#279 ·
I have two metal 10mfans with me since about three weeks ago - a Merlot and a Robusto, both 7*s. I liked them a lot from day 1, but I never jump to conclusions before I spend some quality time with a new piece and try many reeds on it. Here's the message that I sent Mark today:

"This is just to update you on my progress with the metal Merlot and Robusto. I finally received my harder Rigottis. I had to go from my usual 3M on my 0.108 Klum to a 3 1/2 Medium on your pieces. And you were absolutely right, they sound much, much better with the right reeds. Maybe in my next reed order I will even give the 3 1/2 hard a try. I am also much more comfortable with the longer curve. Took me a while, but I'm over it.
Both pieces are absolutely brilliant. Keepers, for sure. They are good enough and different enough to justify keep them in my arsenal, beside my my best TKs and Freddie Gregories.
Great job!"

#281 ·
Jorge,
Thank you very much! I am thrilled you love both so much.
You and Dave O'Higgins both said that the mpc's were brilliant-----I love that!
I would also like to try the Saxxas lig, since you love the way it fits and works with my metals.

Thank you for your great email, Jorge!

All the best, Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.