Sax on the Web Forum banner

10mfan METAL Merlot and Robusto tenor mouthpieces are now READY!

231K views 599 replies 94 participants last post by  10mfan 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I am now officially taking orders for the metal Merlot and Robusto models!!!!!

If you yearn for ORIGINAL design modern mouthpieces that don't feel, look, or sound like anyone elses mouthpieces--- here's your opportunity.

I am ALL about carving my OWN path with original design mouthpieces that for me, outplay the vintage mouthpieces in the 3 categories I have set them up in.

THE BOSS model (my 3rd category piece that will have tons of power and volume, but also loads of body), will be out in the next month or so, but right now you have 2 new options to choose from with my metal MERLOT and ROBUSTO models. These are my first 2 category mouthpieces and in case you have been on Mars the last 9 months, you can read about that on my website: www.10mfan.com :)

I could not be any prouder of these pieces. These have great body and soul. They are not all about just volume and they offer the player the perfect amount of resistance in my opinion, to be able to shape the sound how they want. These are very colorful and resonant and Eric Falcon has worked with me beautifully with these to help me make my dreams come true.

I GREATLY encourage everyone who owns vintage metal mouthpieces like Links, Dukoffs, Zimberoffs, Selmers, Gales, and ALL the copycat mouthpieces of those pieces----- to see what I have been up to. I believe strongly, that you will be blown away....I AM. Eric Falcon said the Merlot and Robusto metal mouthpieces will absolutely knock out the guys who especially love vintage Links, and want MORE than their Links will give them. He told me that he has kept 2 very special Florida Links in his personal collection for a very long time, that he has considered to be the BEST examples for him of those pieces. He told me that the Robusto for him, absolutely smokes them both and he is VERY excited because he knows players will go nuts for these. I have compared the Merlot and Robusto metals to the best vintage metals here in my personal collection, and they just outplay them for me. I would not pick any of the vintage metal pieces I have here that fit into my first and second categories, over these 2 pieces I am releasing. This has been a lot of work for Eric and myself and has taken an enormous amount of time, money, and energy to complete.

THANK YOU ALL FOR STAYING PATIENT WITH ME THROUGH THIS.

I THOUGHT LONG AND HARD ABOUT PRICING!!!!!

I have wanted from day one, to make modern mouthpieces that outplay vintage mouthpieces and are affordable for musicians today. I spent years selling high end vintage mouthpieces that many musicians could not afford, so the mouthpieces ended up going to many dealers overseas. Prices got nuts for the vintage pieces so it was super important for me to get my head back on straight and undercharge for my hard rubber modern 10mfan™ line of mouthpieces so players could enjoy them and not feel like they emptied the bank account to do so! $385 for my pure hard rubber bar stock mouthpieces is an incredible deal. I see copy pieces of vintage mouthpieces going for much more, and there's no reason for that at all. Modern mouthpieces shoudn't be priced in the stratosphere, in my opinion. I think modern mouthpieces should be able to be bought for what you would get for a couple very good playing gigs.

I look at the marketplace and I see loads of copies of Links, Dukoffs, Guardalas, Meyer Bros, etc... its never ending. So I said to myself that I should be charging much more than those, because mine are actually ORIGINAL and have taken an ENORMOUS amount of time, money, and hard work to get right.

Well...thats one reasonable way to look at it, but the bottom line is I just can't see charging $850 or $750 for a modern mouthpiece that isn't rare or collectible by any means, like the vintage mouthpieces are. In fact, I can't see charging $650 either. I asked MANY players where they think my metals should be priced based on affordability and what they thought I would be asking.... and amongst the 40-50 people I asked, those players thought I'd come in at around the $550-$650 range.

I decided that I will do exactly what I did with my hard rubber pieces, (which have turned out to be incredibly successful), and ask much less than I know I should in order to get more people to play on the mouthpieces and see how fantastic they are. I am hoping with the addition of these metals and 2 hard rubber altos coming this summer, (they have been in the works for quite some time, and I think a summer release is VERY realistic.)---to sell WELL over 1,000 mpc's my first year of sales directly to players.

Back to the price of my metals....
I am going to price them lower than they should be---I am going to offer them at only $495.
To me, it's another gift price for my mouthpieces, so I hope this makes many of you happy.

My mouthpieces are made of brass and will be silver plated and engraved with my 10mfan™ logo, model name, and tip opening. I am not gold plating them because I want to save YOU money. Eric does a wonderful job with his plating and they will look and play gorgeous. EVERY mouthpiece will be hand finished by Eric and play tested by both Eric and myself before they are sent out. My pieces have a bite plate and are really fantastic. I do not have any "finished" version photos to release. You will have to wait till the first group of orders are completed. I just have the prototypes here, but I won't put up pics of those.
My website will have to wait too. :)

A FEW LIGS THAT WILL FIT MY METAL MOUTHPIECES:

Selmer 404---cannot be one that is already bent from the top ridge of an Otto lLnk. It must be virgin.

Ishimori---Otto link M size

Silverstein metal tenor lig

Vandoren V16 optimum

Marc Jean---I'll get you the size

Any Rovner in the 3ML or L13 size

BG sized for a metal Link

Rico H lig HTS2

I AM OFFERING THE MOST COMPLETE SELECTION OF TIP SIZE OPTIONS AVAILABLE TO THE BUYER FOR BOTH MY METAL MERLOT AND ROBUSTO MODELS: 4*-12*

I already have a bunch of names on a list who wanted these when they came out, and I will be officially taking all other orders starting NOW.

Just email me and tell me what tip size and model you want, and I will have you send a paypal. We will not be able to get the first orders out for about 1 month due to the back up with the rubber mouthpieces and the first group of metal orders, but one month or so isn't too long to wait for something new that's actually original.

You can email me at: connsaxman@comcast.net

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE MOST INCREDIBLE 9 MONTHS I COULD HAVE EVER HOPED FOR IN TERMS OF MAKING SOOOOO MANY PLAYERS SO HAPPY ALL OVER THE WORLD, AND THERE WILL BE MORE TO COME FROM ME WITH ALTO AND SOPRANO AND POSSIBLY BARI MOUTHPIECES...

YOUR SUPPORT AND KIND WORDS HAVE BEEN SO GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

*** You will need to order the metals directly through me via my email until I have my web guy set up the page on my website. He will be doing that this week for me. ***

Thank you.
All the best, Mark

See less See more
#172 ·
Holy Smokes, players! You think these pictures of the metals look incredible!? Just wait until you get to hold yours in your hands, like I am doing NOW! Just took it out of the box...my hand is almost shaking with excitement.
Ahhhh....stunning! What am I doing here typing when I should be, WILL BE, playing this monster on my horn!! Off to play now, and you may not see me again on here for weeks, these pieces are that good I intend to rip off my lips before I stop. :)

(and if I do, then it's all your fault, Mark!).

#173 ·
I might be one of the first to get a production piece of the 10mFan metals, and mine did not disappoint one iota!

It is like a piece of fine jewelry, crafted so beautifully, and like an expensive sports car the “fit and finish” is remarkable- the photos barely do it justice-just check out the amazing finish of the rails and tips (…and I only paid WHAT $ for this?).

But, on to the playing of it. First, know that I am a late bloomer on sax, but I have always been very fussy about my gear. As an engineer (before sax playing) I am very critical of mechanical and manufactured items, so I went through horns and mpc like a leaking tap and only would keep what really delivered and FELT perfect to me. I settled on a Yamaha Custom tenor after awhile, but the mpc search for years was driving me nuts. I had a cadre of tenor playing buddies and we all shared and tested each other’s mpc, so I have tested and owned at least a dozen metals including a Theo Wanne Brahma, an Otto Link STM refaced by Doc Tenney (maybe my favorite because I kept it a long time), Peter Ponzol, and a few other “customized” pieces I don’t even recall now. I gave up on all them, and played my Slant Sig Otto link HR and Phil Tone HR until 10mFan Merlot and Robusto came along, that was it-the others were not up to par any more after Merlot and Robusto came to the plate. They were/are amazing; I own and play both, so I knew I had to have a metal when it came out.

It did not disappoint.

This piece is just phenomenal. It can play quiet and warm and fat with so much body and depth to the sound and then if you let it rip …well…it just takes it and doesn’t “distort” what you are putting through it. It will take it...all of it!

It’s like I told Mark in an email last night, it “breathes differently than any metal I have played.” I use this concept of breathing into the mpc and horn to compare with how we talk, or yell, or scream, because we do breathe when we talk, and when we play, to me, we are “speaking” into the horn through the mpc.

This effect is pretty evident from changing a neck on a sax so that the backpressure, or resistance, changes, but not so much do you notice on a mpc. To me a “perfect” mouthpiece is a natural extension of the “speaking into the horn” , and there is something about this metal Robusto that just breathes so effortlessly, like you breathe through your own throat and mouth, that it is just effortless to do whatever you think about playing- out it comes.

I might add the beak and bite angle is just so comfortable, you hardly think about it, it just sits there so comfortably that all you think about is playing (speaking) into the horn. What could be better?

So, if you ever had a mpc run-around with metals and weren’t satisfied, I can’t imagine that happening with the metal 10mFan pieces. They are just so unique and alive, the best “sax” I ever had. I just hope my lips can hold out now for the hours I want to play because it is a blast to play! (And “yes”, I paid full price for my metal Robusto, and I would pay that much again for it now that I have tasted what it can do).

#174 ·
Thank you, Larry!
I had a feeling you would absolutely love the mouthpiece. I know how much you have loved the hard rubber version. Your sentiments will ring true for many others, and I am so excited that you've fallen in love so quickly....I am very pleased!
At $495 its an incredible deal. The workmanship, designs, and the playability are 2nd to none AT ANY PRICE. Players who have played the vintage mpc's and their copies will welcome in with open arms, these designs.
For me, its a HUGE breath of fresh air for players to have original design pieces to play. I could not be any more proud of these pieces. If you like that classic blow and want all the warmth and clarity of the vintage pieces, you will get that and more. You will get more power, width, depth, and body with these. There is so much soul in these pieces. A beautiful body of sound with a huge amount of depth and flexibility.
I am really excited for more people to get theirs, and Joel Frahm and others will be doing audios in the near future. I have had only a couple of the finished prototype pieces in only a couple sizes to send players up till this point, so as I get all the sizes done of the completed versions, the audios will start to come in. Eric has been crazy busy, so my apologies on not having The Boss metal completed yet---but nothing will get released here until it is just right.

Thanks again to all of you who have been so supportive here at SOTW!

You can place orders directly through me until my website guy updates the website with the metal pieces, etc...
My email is: connsaxman@comcast.net

#176 ·
Hi,
I'm very happy to offer the metals at the $495 price and the German hard rubber tenor mouthpieces at $450 ---The prices are staying right there!
These are great values for both players and dealers at these prices, and it allows me to continue to run my business beautifully by offering what I consider to be the highest quality ORIGINAL hand finished precision CNC'D mouthpieces--- without overpricing.
I'm proud to offer these great mouthpieces at these prices.
I hope you're doing well.
All the best, Mark

#177 ·
I'm doing very well Mark. Lot's of things on the go. Lot's more playing out and gigging now the little one is off and running.
I've been following closely for the metals to come out and I've pretty much figured the Robusto 8 is going to be for me. I've got 2 great pieces both that sit in the spectrum of your other pieces (Merlot and Boss) but think the Robusto will be everything I've been trying to pull out of my other pieces without success. Knowing as much as I do (which is still very little) the design looks exactly like what I've been looking for in a mouthpiece for quite some time.

Knowing the price isn't going up on the metals puts me at ease. Let's just hope the tourists are generous this summer. I have a friend who might help me out too.

I'll be in touch.

#178 ·
I got my Merlot Metal Friday, but it wasn't till Saturday night and this morning that I really got a chance to dig in to it.

First impression is how clean and beautifully it is made. The work on the rails, baffle and scooped sidewalls of the chamber is just amazing. The logo on the top and the size markings are really nicely engraved. The plating is smooth and even. It just is really elegant. the Bite plate is probably a bit smaller than I would have liked but since I play with a patch it makes no difference when playing.
Like the Hard Rubber version, the table is very long making it very easy to set up the reed properly. The shank has the 3 rings of the rubber versions. I don’t care for the O rings, but they were easy to remove.

Ligature fit: I had purchased a brand new Selmer 404 to use with the piece. Right out of the package it was tight. A little too tight to be able to get the lig far enough down… It barely cleared the transition from the beak to the main barrel section. Greasing the threads and cranking it down and letting it sit overnight made it a bit better the next morning but not much. I dug into my lig collection and found an old 404 (also un-modified) that seemed better but still a bit tight. I also found a Rico H lig in the size Rico sells for the Link STM (which it does not fit well at all -- screws are right on top of the ridge it makes no provision for!) But the H fits the Merlot Metal like a charm, it will slide anywhere you want it, then tighten down snugly. The Rico Cap grips well and definitely will not slip off…

Feel: Certainly not a wide as the HR Merlot, but definitely wider then most modern metal pieces. Definitely a nice stable feel.

Ok what does it sound like? It shares a lot sonically with the Hard Rubber version. They both have a lovely smooth dark quality. Both are incredibly flexible with regard to influence the reed has on the sound. You want the fluffy Getz thing, want something with more body say Webster or Byas? Reed choice will get you there. Both take air so well, adding edge and projection when you push. The Metal has a bit more sizzle on top, perhaps a tiny bit faster response, but this is very subtle difference.

Once again I really think Mark and Eric have given us some wonderful new sonic tools.

#179 ·
I got my Merlot Metal Friday, but it wasn't till Saturday night and this morning that I really got a chance to dig in to it.

First impression is how clean and beautifully it is made. The work on the rails, baffle and scooped sidewalls of the chamber is just amazing. The logo on the top and the size markings are really nicely engraved. The plating is smooth and even. It just is really elegant. the Bite plate is probably a bit smaller than I would have liked but since I play with a patch it makes no difference when playing.
Like the Hard Rubber version, the table is very long making it very easy to set up the reed properly. The shank has the 3 rings of the rubber versions. I don't care for the O rings, but they were easy to remove.

Ligature fit: I had purchased a brand new Selmer 404 to use with the piece. Right out of the package it was tight. A little too tight to be able to get the lig far enough down… It barely cleared the transition from the beak to the main barrel section. Greasing the threads and cranking it down and letting it sit overnight made it a bit better the next morning but not much. I dug into my lig collection and found an old 404 (also un-modified) that seemed better but still a bit tight. I also found a Rico H lig in the size Rico sells for the Link STM (which it does not fit well at all -- screws are right on top of the ridge it makes no provision for!) But the H fits the Merlot Metal like a charm, it will slide anywhere you want it, then tighten down snugly. The Rico Cap grips well and definitely will not slip off…

Feel: Certainly not a wide as the HR Merlot, but definitely wider then most modern metal pieces. Definitely a nice stable feel.

Ok what does it sound like? It shares a lot sonically with the Hard Rubber version. They both have a lovely smooth dark quality. Both are incredibly flexible with regard to influence the reed has on the sound. You want the fluffy Getz thing, want something with more body say Webster or Byas? Reed choice will get you there. Both take air so well, adding edge and projection when you push. The Metal has a bit more sizzle on top, perhaps a tiny bit faster response, but this is very subtle difference.

Once again I really think Mark and Eric have given us some wonderful new sonic tools.
What tip opening is yours and what reed and strength are you using on it? Thanks.

#180 ·
Yep, my "new" old 404 is VERY tight, too. Not sure I will keep using it that tight, I will check out a Rico H lig, I used one once on a HR mpc and really liked it.

#181 ·
If you get the Rico H lig, you want the HTS2G model. The "G" is left off the listing Mark put up on P. 1. Available now at 1stop clarinet shop for $28.00. Just one possibility... :)

#183 ·
I had to jump in on this thread as John Lull sent me an 8* metal Robusto prototype 2 weeks ago that I can honestly say is a true gem of a piece! It stands out in its own way and here's why:

10mFan's design, coupled with Eric Falcon's incredible work, produce a combo of the very best Vintage Link and Very Best Vintage Berg in the Robusto metal. It has TREMENDOUS VOLUME that you can't over blow! The sound stays rich, colorful, clear and full from low B-flat all the way to the highest altissimo note you can hit. It takes all the air you can give it and does not crap out on you.

You can lay back and get the whole Dexter vibe, push it from there a bit to get a Donny Mccaslin vibe, push it from there to get the Brecker/Berg vibe. THIS PIECE IS SICK!!!

I have played all kinds of vintage florida links, double rings, dukoff stubbys, ted klum and navarro pieces, etc. etc and i would play the Robusto for all of my jazz needs. Over the 2 weeks I've had the prototype Ive tried every reed you can think of, and although i got my sound on it with a 3M RJS and 3 Light Rigotti, every type of reed played extremely well on it! it's super reed friendly!!

I played it on a casual a few days after i got it. I had to cover standards, ballads, and r&b tunes and the piece nailed it! YOU'VE GOT TO TRY THIS PIECE! I'VE ORDERED AN 8* AT THIS TIME.

#185 ·
10mFan's design, coupled with Eric Falcon's incredible work, produce a combo of the very best Vintage Link and Very Best Vintage Berg in the Robusto metal. It has TREMENDOUS VOLUME that you can't over blow! The sound stays rich, colorful, clear and full from low B-flat all the way to the highest altissimo note you can hit. It takes all the air you can give it and does not crap out on you.
Oh yes !

Back in my bar- and table-walking days 20+ years ago, I played a Berg SS 110/0. It had more volume and cut than an air-raid siren. Not so good for ballads, though. For those I had a Selmer pre-Soloist D, which was round and sweet, but couldn't be heard away from the mike, with a bloody big guitar stack right next to me. Later on, playing entirely acoustic, I got into Links. Great even tone all over the instrument, not bad for volume, either, but not assertive enough.

Then I discovered the 10mfan HR Robusto, 7 at first then 8*. Big dark tone, even response from top to bottom, beautiful sweet sound for soft ballads, loud raunchy belter on r&b numbers, but still with a full fat tone, dark as you like, but with all the CUT I couldn't get from a Link. I was delighted with it - I still am. Never had a piece like it.

Then along comes slimlilley with this post…

What he's describing here is my Robusto HR - on steroids !

I gotta try this out. Mark, put me down for one…

Hold on a minute! I already have a Robusto…

Let's see now… I like dark, with cut… So let's go for REALLY dark, but with the cut mixed in that only metal can provide…

Don't put me down for a Robusto, Mark - make mine a Merlot - a metal Merlot, 8* (.115").

#184 ·
Hi Matt,
I knew you would dig this piece! Thank you for posting. I gotta get the mpc back later this week so others can enjoy it too. :)
Youre a metal guy at heart, and I knew you and the Robusto metal would click, big time. You will also go crazy for The Boss once its done since you love your Guardalas so much.
Guys who dig Florida Links are going to get a B-I-G eye opener with the Robusto metal!!! Its rips all my best Floridas, by a ton. Guys are going to love the flexibility of the mpc---it can do everything.
Super quiet soft voo-voo ballads, to funk---and it won't backdown on you. Dont be afraid to go with slightly heavier reeds...they work great for me. The RICO JAZZ SELECT, ZZ, and RIGOTTI have been very popular so far. Youre on the list for the finished Robusto and I'll email you once its done.
All the best, Mark

#189 ·
Haven't posted here for a while, but I received my metal Robusto 7* a couple of nights ago.

It would definitely be the best metal mouthpiece that I have ever played. I've got a really great STM that I have been using as a metal piece (no USA Florida original 7*)

I ended up using a RSJ 3S unfiled with a Selmer 404 ligature. I experimented with ZZ, Rigottis, and LaVoz, but I think the RSJ reeds suit my sound concept the best. They are a great middle of the road reed for this mouthpiece. Not too bright, not too dark, nice core to the sound.

I should say, there is a difference in SOUND with these pieces. It's not just an issue of comfort in terms of a metal mouthpiece profile. The piece sounds a little bit more compact in the lower end, not as spread as the HR version of the Robusto. It seems that you can push the metal piece harder, and it does get louder than the HR version.

I read earlier that the Selmer 404 ligature wasn't the best fit (too tight), but this has not been my experience. I bought one new off Amazon. When I put it on initially, I did remove the screws, bend it open, put it over the mouthpiece and reed, then bent it to the shape of the mouthpiece with the reed attached. This worked quite well.

Anyway, it is a different beast from the HR version in terms of sound.

Definitely recommend trying one of these!

Mark, was on the receiving end of an avalanche of updates as I tried different reeds....hahaha.

Thanks Mark,

Ryan

#190 ·
Thank you Ryan. I only wish I could publish some of the stuff you wrote in your emails. LOL
What I liked the most was that you told me you got a Florida Link from Phil Barone that you both agree is phenomenal ---and you said the Robusto just eats it up. I know you still like the Link for what it is, but that stuff speaks volumes to me.

My goal when making these mouthpieces was to make hard rubber pieces that did what I wanted and felt hard rubber pieces should do and to make metal pieces that played like metal pieces should sound and feel like for me.. I like the metals to be a little bit more compact compared to the rubber pieces. The metal Robusto still has an enormous sound which to me is far bigger than any link but it is more compact especially in the low-end compared to the huge and fat low and that the Robusto rubber version has. I am really thrilled with how the rubber and metal tenor pieces came out. After we get The Boss finished for metal, will be finishing up the alto pieces and releasing them next hopefully in early fall. I think anyone who plays straightahead and likes a classic tenor sound with so much going on in terms of flexibility and depth of sound will really enjoy my metal tenor pieces. I hope everyone who has ordered pieces and who will order pieces, loves my mouthpieces.
That's always the goal and I hope these bring many players great joy!

Thank you to all of you who have been so supportive of these mouthpieces here at SOTW.

#195 ·
First of all, I just want to say thank you to all of you for all the orders!

I have gotten several emails from very excited buyers in the last week, asking when their pieces will be done.
Trust me, I've been there and I know the anticipation is the hardest part. :)

I just want to let everyone who has ordered know that Eric is working VERY HARD on the metal pieces everyday, and I just ask everyone to please continue to be patient.
Eric does all of the handwork on every single piece, and the pieces are being worked on at this very moment.

I know you are excited to get your pieces, and I'm incredibly excited for you---so please hang in there with us as all the orders are being attended to.
Much appreciated,
Mark

#197 ·
Aldevis, if I could get the sound YOU get out of the Merlot, I would use that too. :)

You and David Wells are lucky to me, in that you blow bright and can make darker pieces brighter and dark. It's easy for me to make anything darker, but tougher to get more brightness out of pieces for me.

The Robusto does it all so well for me, but I have a feeling once the Boss is finished in metal---that will get used ALOT by me too.

#198 ·
Hi guys,

I’ve been playing my Robusto 7* for over a week now, so now, when I had the time to get to know the piece, I can write what I think of it.

The workmanship is flawless. The tip, the rails and the baffle look great, you can tell there was lots of precision work that was put into the finish of these, and they look even better in the reality than in the pictures. It feels very comfortable in your mouth, not too small, not too big, just right.

I’m hugely impressed with the flexibility of this mouthpiece, it really stands out from any other piece I’ve played. Depending on how you blow and your reed choices, you can go from a smooth-velvety sound on ballads to screamin’ and honkin’ rockandroll. It doesn’t close down, no matter how hard you push, and when you play quietly, the sound is amazingly full (and that’s something I didn’t get in any other mouthpiece). The altissimo is fuller than ever, and it’s easier to maintain a high note while growling at the same time. The G altissimo just pops out, and it’s easier to control going from pp to ff. It has an even sound from top to bottom, more focused than spread and probably more compact in the lower register than the HR version.

I played two gigs on the Robusto this weekend and wasn’t dissappointed. The sound I got from the monitors brought smile upon my face and it was easier to compete with the louder with every song guitar player. Cuts through extremely well and voo-voos just as good.

Go and try them out - these are fantastic mouthpieces!

#199 ·
Hi,
That was an excellent review and I really appreciate that!
I've been a player for over 30 years, so I know that these are going to be a really huge hit with players.
These pieces are going to definitely knock out many players, and will take an enormous of players off of their vintage pieces. You can definitely go from very warm to powerful, and the piece will definitely not close down on you. As I tell everyone, don't be afraid to try heavier reeds as many people are enjoying that. I think people will be surprised at how big the depth of these pieces sound even at lower volumes. They are very full and have so much color to the sound, top to bottom. Yes, the low end of the Robusto metal is a little more compact than the hard rubber version. I did that on purpose, but that is only in comparison to the hard rubber version because the low-end of the metal is still enormous. The Altissimo are incredibly easy and have so much body to the sound.
As more players get the pieces they ordered, the word will spread quickly.

I wrote Eric again this morning to try to get him to finish up the next 25 pieces for later this week. I thank you all for being so patient. The metals are new for us and they require a lot of time from Eric to make them perfect. More work than Eric had initially planned on, so hang in there I hope to have great news for you about shipping more metals the end of this week.

Thank you again for your review and maybe you can let us know which ligature and reeds you are enjoying.
All the best, Mark

#200 ·
I use the current production selmer 404 ligature. It sits tight on the mouthpiece, even a little bit too tight, so that when you put on a reed you've got to unscrew almost completely (it also depends on the reed brand, some are thinner, other thicker) but personally, I don't mind that. As for the reeds, Javas (both green and red) in the strength of 3,5 and RJS unfiled in the range of 3s-3h are my reeds of preference. I've got to try rigottis as well, as something tells me they might be great for this mouthpiece.

Yes, the low-end is quite huge, great for rockandroll playing!

#202 ·
I use the current production selmer 404 ligature. It sits tight on the mouthpiece, even a little bit too tight, so that when you put on a reed you've got to unscrew almost completely (it also depends on the reed brand, some are thinner, other thicker) but personally, I don't mind that. As for the reeds, Javas (both green and red) in the strength of 3,5 and RJS unfiled in the range of 3s-3h are my reeds of preference. I've got to try rigottis as well, as something tells me they might be great for this mouthpiece.

Yes, the low-end is quite huge, great for rockandroll playing!
I have an older Selmer 404 ligature and it fits absolutely perfect. I don't understand why they would make the newer models smaller? I know the RICO H lig fits perfectly and I hope as more people get these that they share which ligatures they like the most with these pieces.

#203 ·
And guys, I also found out the FL metal tenor lig won't fit (it's too small), so don't buy them especially for this mpc.
I used a modern NY Link ligature on the metal Robusto prototype Mark sent me and it fit perfectly. The NY Link (modern version) has a bit larger body than the Florida, so if you have one of those NY ligs, they will fit.

p.s. Mark, good news about the mpcs coming in soon. I'm glad Eric's taking the time to make them perfect; it's worth any kind of wait for that.

#204 ·
Thank you for adding that. It's good to know that those ligatures will fit also. I encourage people to come on to let others know which ligs and reeds work great for them.
The Florida ligs will definitely not fit as my bodies are bigger.... and so is the sound! :)
My older Selmer 404 works beautifully for me.

#206 ·
Hi All : Sound clips ? we need to HEAR those mouthpieces....
Best Wishes

#208 ·
Hi guys,
I know you want more sound clips and I'm just waiting for pieces to come in from Eric so that I can get them to players to make audios. David Wells will be doing a sound clip of the Merlot metal in the next couple of days. Once I get the big batch of pieces from Eric, there will be plenty of audios for me to put up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.