Sax on the Web Forum banner

10mfan METAL Merlot and Robusto tenor mouthpieces are now READY!

231K views 599 replies 94 participants last post by  10mfan 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I am now officially taking orders for the metal Merlot and Robusto models!!!!!

If you yearn for ORIGINAL design modern mouthpieces that don't feel, look, or sound like anyone elses mouthpieces--- here's your opportunity.

I am ALL about carving my OWN path with original design mouthpieces that for me, outplay the vintage mouthpieces in the 3 categories I have set them up in.

THE BOSS model (my 3rd category piece that will have tons of power and volume, but also loads of body), will be out in the next month or so, but right now you have 2 new options to choose from with my metal MERLOT and ROBUSTO models. These are my first 2 category mouthpieces and in case you have been on Mars the last 9 months, you can read about that on my website: www.10mfan.com :)

I could not be any prouder of these pieces. These have great body and soul. They are not all about just volume and they offer the player the perfect amount of resistance in my opinion, to be able to shape the sound how they want. These are very colorful and resonant and Eric Falcon has worked with me beautifully with these to help me make my dreams come true.

I GREATLY encourage everyone who owns vintage metal mouthpieces like Links, Dukoffs, Zimberoffs, Selmers, Gales, and ALL the copycat mouthpieces of those pieces----- to see what I have been up to. I believe strongly, that you will be blown away....I AM. Eric Falcon said the Merlot and Robusto metal mouthpieces will absolutely knock out the guys who especially love vintage Links, and want MORE than their Links will give them. He told me that he has kept 2 very special Florida Links in his personal collection for a very long time, that he has considered to be the BEST examples for him of those pieces. He told me that the Robusto for him, absolutely smokes them both and he is VERY excited because he knows players will go nuts for these. I have compared the Merlot and Robusto metals to the best vintage metals here in my personal collection, and they just outplay them for me. I would not pick any of the vintage metal pieces I have here that fit into my first and second categories, over these 2 pieces I am releasing. This has been a lot of work for Eric and myself and has taken an enormous amount of time, money, and energy to complete.

THANK YOU ALL FOR STAYING PATIENT WITH ME THROUGH THIS.

I THOUGHT LONG AND HARD ABOUT PRICING!!!!!

I have wanted from day one, to make modern mouthpieces that outplay vintage mouthpieces and are affordable for musicians today. I spent years selling high end vintage mouthpieces that many musicians could not afford, so the mouthpieces ended up going to many dealers overseas. Prices got nuts for the vintage pieces so it was super important for me to get my head back on straight and undercharge for my hard rubber modern 10mfan™ line of mouthpieces so players could enjoy them and not feel like they emptied the bank account to do so! $385 for my pure hard rubber bar stock mouthpieces is an incredible deal. I see copy pieces of vintage mouthpieces going for much more, and there's no reason for that at all. Modern mouthpieces shoudn't be priced in the stratosphere, in my opinion. I think modern mouthpieces should be able to be bought for what you would get for a couple very good playing gigs.

I look at the marketplace and I see loads of copies of Links, Dukoffs, Guardalas, Meyer Bros, etc... its never ending. So I said to myself that I should be charging much more than those, because mine are actually ORIGINAL and have taken an ENORMOUS amount of time, money, and hard work to get right.

Well...thats one reasonable way to look at it, but the bottom line is I just can't see charging $850 or $750 for a modern mouthpiece that isn't rare or collectible by any means, like the vintage mouthpieces are. In fact, I can't see charging $650 either. I asked MANY players where they think my metals should be priced based on affordability and what they thought I would be asking.... and amongst the 40-50 people I asked, those players thought I'd come in at around the $550-$650 range.

I decided that I will do exactly what I did with my hard rubber pieces, (which have turned out to be incredibly successful), and ask much less than I know I should in order to get more people to play on the mouthpieces and see how fantastic they are. I am hoping with the addition of these metals and 2 hard rubber altos coming this summer, (they have been in the works for quite some time, and I think a summer release is VERY realistic.)---to sell WELL over 1,000 mpc's my first year of sales directly to players.

Back to the price of my metals....
I am going to price them lower than they should be---I am going to offer them at only $495.
To me, it's another gift price for my mouthpieces, so I hope this makes many of you happy.

My mouthpieces are made of brass and will be silver plated and engraved with my 10mfan™ logo, model name, and tip opening. I am not gold plating them because I want to save YOU money. Eric does a wonderful job with his plating and they will look and play gorgeous. EVERY mouthpiece will be hand finished by Eric and play tested by both Eric and myself before they are sent out. My pieces have a bite plate and are really fantastic. I do not have any "finished" version photos to release. You will have to wait till the first group of orders are completed. I just have the prototypes here, but I won't put up pics of those.
My website will have to wait too. :)

A FEW LIGS THAT WILL FIT MY METAL MOUTHPIECES:

Selmer 404---cannot be one that is already bent from the top ridge of an Otto lLnk. It must be virgin.

Ishimori---Otto link M size

Silverstein metal tenor lig

Vandoren V16 optimum

Marc Jean---I'll get you the size

Any Rovner in the 3ML or L13 size

BG sized for a metal Link

Rico H lig HTS2

I AM OFFERING THE MOST COMPLETE SELECTION OF TIP SIZE OPTIONS AVAILABLE TO THE BUYER FOR BOTH MY METAL MERLOT AND ROBUSTO MODELS: 4*-12*

I already have a bunch of names on a list who wanted these when they came out, and I will be officially taking all other orders starting NOW.

Just email me and tell me what tip size and model you want, and I will have you send a paypal. We will not be able to get the first orders out for about 1 month due to the back up with the rubber mouthpieces and the first group of metal orders, but one month or so isn't too long to wait for something new that's actually original.

You can email me at: connsaxman@comcast.net

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE MOST INCREDIBLE 9 MONTHS I COULD HAVE EVER HOPED FOR IN TERMS OF MAKING SOOOOO MANY PLAYERS SO HAPPY ALL OVER THE WORLD, AND THERE WILL BE MORE TO COME FROM ME WITH ALTO AND SOPRANO AND POSSIBLY BARI MOUTHPIECES...

YOUR SUPPORT AND KIND WORDS HAVE BEEN SO GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

*** You will need to order the metals directly through me via my email until I have my web guy set up the page on my website. He will be doing that this week for me. ***

Thank you.
All the best, Mark

See less See more
#144 ·
"Here, There And Everywhere"

"To lead a better life I need my love to be here...

Here, making each day of the year
Changing my life with the wave of her hand
Nobody can deny that there's something there

There, running my hands through her hair
Both of us thinking how good it can be
Someone is speaking but she doesn't know he's there

I want her everywhere and if she's beside me
I know I need never care
But to love her is to need her everywhere
Knowing that love is to share

Each one believing that love never dies
Watching her eyes and hoping I'm always there

I want her everywhere and if she's beside me
I know I need never care
But to love her is to need her everywhere
Knowing that love is to share

Each one believing that love never dies
Watching her eyes and hoping I'm always there

I will be there and everywhere
Here, there and everywhere"

#145 ·
Quoting the Beatles will get you everywhere!

YES----THE FIRST 10 PIECES WILL BE GOING OUT THIS WEEK!!!!!
ENJOY---THESE ARE TRULY GREAT METAL MOUTHPIECES.
ERIC WILL BE GETTING ME A MUCH BIGGER BATCH ON SATURDAY.

IF YOU DON'T WANT THE FUNKIER LOOK WITH THE BLACK O-RINGS ON THE BOTTOM, YOU CAN JUST SLIDE THEM OFF.

Automotive lighting Liquid Window Magenta Door

Automotive design Cylinder Tints and shades Font Auto part

#159 ·
Thank you, my friend! I hope you're doing great, and I hope you get an opportunity to get one of these for yourself.
I hope you decide to get one at some point. In the meantime, enjoy your 10mfan™ hard rubber mpc and please stay in touch!
All the best, Mark

#154 ·
A great original shape. looking forward to seeing one in flesh and brass.

I do too....I designed it so they could slide on or off the grooves and keep the 3 ring on the shank appearance identifiable and unique to the 10mfan™ mouthpiece line.
Also the rare "double ring" option is now easily achievable

#149 ·
I like the black O-Rings too. Plus I can fix the plumbing if I ever get stuck.

#157 ·
Danerida,
Thank you. You had initially asked about the insides before you edited your post. (We were typing at the same time). :)
Post 137 shows the baffles and the floors of the Robusro and Merlot.

I see that you have a Tibbs solid silver piece. We also offer my pieces in solid silver as a custom order. I've had a couple orders for those already.
Cheers, Mark

#158 ·
I found them after I posted. Then edited. Thanks.

#161 ·
Mark, will the metals come with the black o-rings to mount, or not, as preferred? I think they look way cool! If not included, size and type of O-ring to buy recommendation?

#567 ·
Made a trade for a 7* Robusto metal tenor and just spent some time with it. Certainly very intriguing in a very good way. A/B'ed it for a couple of hours vis-a-vis several of my favorite Links. Definitely different core...Berg thing, but not too much. This may be a keeper...playing it with a Selmer 404 and using my trusty T-880 Yani (old friend)...will try other horns this week.

I'm assuming that the o-rings are strictly cosmetic...can't think of any other reason for having them there...I removed them for handling, but these are definitely eye-catching pieces. I'll take it to a big band rehearsal this week and see if I get any comments.

#162 ·
They will come with it and if you want to remove them, you can-- It's up to you. They can slide on and off easily.

I absolutely love the look...I designed the shank to have the grooves for the black O-rings to fit over to bring it together with the black tooth plate. Aesthetically, it's gorgeous.
It's also completely unique---nothing out there like it. Aside from the cosmetics, the highest quality care has gone into these pieces from the designs, to the playability, to the hand craftsmanship by Eric.
People have no idea the blood, sweat, and tears that goes into making mouthpieces that arent copies of previously made models. Every aspect of the piece gets full attention from the bore size, table length, beak shape and angle, sidewalls, chamber, floor, baffle, throat squeeze, window, tip rail, siderails, etc...
The process is very long and frustrating, but eventually its all worth it when the products come out like you envisioned from the start.

Attachments

#163 ·
This MPC Is completely stunning! As will be the playing experience, too! Masterful work, Mark and Eric. Thanks again for setting an entirely new standard for sax mouthpieces.

#168 · (Edited)
Thanks guys!
The 10MFAN™ metals really came out just as I wanted them to be...I'm so incredibly thrilled with them, top to bottom. These are something truly fresh, original head to toe, and exciting for the market.
The group of guys who have played these metals have gone crazy for them.
I couldn't have possibly been this happy without my extended family at MACSAX doing what they do behind the scenes to make this team effort such a huge success!
It's an incredible amount of hard work and an uncountable amount of adjustments, to be able to make products available like these.
I wouldn't change a thing.
Can't wait for you guys to get your pieces!
All the best, mark

Hand Drinkware Musical instrument Finger Wind instrument
Automotive design Cylinder Tints and shades Font Auto part
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive mirror Bumper Vehicle door

Look at the tip rail, side rails, and baffle work in the 3rd picture...Eric is at the top of his craft.

#170 ·
Thank you all so much for all the orders since the pictures went up!
I will be getting the pieces in from Eric every week now.
All of the previous orders are being worked on as we speak and the next batch should go out Tuesday.
My website guy will be changing my website so people can order directly that way by the end of next week.

In the meantime, just continue to email me directly and place your orders directly through me.

My email is: connsaxman@comcast.net

Thank you again for all the incredible support here at SOTW!

All the very best,
Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.