Sax on the Web Forum banner

10mfan METAL Merlot and Robusto tenor mouthpieces are now READY!

231K views 599 replies 94 participants last post by  10mfan 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I am now officially taking orders for the metal Merlot and Robusto models!!!!!

If you yearn for ORIGINAL design modern mouthpieces that don't feel, look, or sound like anyone elses mouthpieces--- here's your opportunity.

I am ALL about carving my OWN path with original design mouthpieces that for me, outplay the vintage mouthpieces in the 3 categories I have set them up in.

THE BOSS model (my 3rd category piece that will have tons of power and volume, but also loads of body), will be out in the next month or so, but right now you have 2 new options to choose from with my metal MERLOT and ROBUSTO models. These are my first 2 category mouthpieces and in case you have been on Mars the last 9 months, you can read about that on my website: www.10mfan.com :)

I could not be any prouder of these pieces. These have great body and soul. They are not all about just volume and they offer the player the perfect amount of resistance in my opinion, to be able to shape the sound how they want. These are very colorful and resonant and Eric Falcon has worked with me beautifully with these to help me make my dreams come true.

I GREATLY encourage everyone who owns vintage metal mouthpieces like Links, Dukoffs, Zimberoffs, Selmers, Gales, and ALL the copycat mouthpieces of those pieces----- to see what I have been up to. I believe strongly, that you will be blown away....I AM. Eric Falcon said the Merlot and Robusto metal mouthpieces will absolutely knock out the guys who especially love vintage Links, and want MORE than their Links will give them. He told me that he has kept 2 very special Florida Links in his personal collection for a very long time, that he has considered to be the BEST examples for him of those pieces. He told me that the Robusto for him, absolutely smokes them both and he is VERY excited because he knows players will go nuts for these. I have compared the Merlot and Robusto metals to the best vintage metals here in my personal collection, and they just outplay them for me. I would not pick any of the vintage metal pieces I have here that fit into my first and second categories, over these 2 pieces I am releasing. This has been a lot of work for Eric and myself and has taken an enormous amount of time, money, and energy to complete.

THANK YOU ALL FOR STAYING PATIENT WITH ME THROUGH THIS.

I THOUGHT LONG AND HARD ABOUT PRICING!!!!!

I have wanted from day one, to make modern mouthpieces that outplay vintage mouthpieces and are affordable for musicians today. I spent years selling high end vintage mouthpieces that many musicians could not afford, so the mouthpieces ended up going to many dealers overseas. Prices got nuts for the vintage pieces so it was super important for me to get my head back on straight and undercharge for my hard rubber modern 10mfan™ line of mouthpieces so players could enjoy them and not feel like they emptied the bank account to do so! $385 for my pure hard rubber bar stock mouthpieces is an incredible deal. I see copy pieces of vintage mouthpieces going for much more, and there's no reason for that at all. Modern mouthpieces shoudn't be priced in the stratosphere, in my opinion. I think modern mouthpieces should be able to be bought for what you would get for a couple very good playing gigs.

I look at the marketplace and I see loads of copies of Links, Dukoffs, Guardalas, Meyer Bros, etc... its never ending. So I said to myself that I should be charging much more than those, because mine are actually ORIGINAL and have taken an ENORMOUS amount of time, money, and hard work to get right.

Well...thats one reasonable way to look at it, but the bottom line is I just can't see charging $850 or $750 for a modern mouthpiece that isn't rare or collectible by any means, like the vintage mouthpieces are. In fact, I can't see charging $650 either. I asked MANY players where they think my metals should be priced based on affordability and what they thought I would be asking.... and amongst the 40-50 people I asked, those players thought I'd come in at around the $550-$650 range.

I decided that I will do exactly what I did with my hard rubber pieces, (which have turned out to be incredibly successful), and ask much less than I know I should in order to get more people to play on the mouthpieces and see how fantastic they are. I am hoping with the addition of these metals and 2 hard rubber altos coming this summer, (they have been in the works for quite some time, and I think a summer release is VERY realistic.)---to sell WELL over 1,000 mpc's my first year of sales directly to players.

Back to the price of my metals....
I am going to price them lower than they should be---I am going to offer them at only $495.
To me, it's another gift price for my mouthpieces, so I hope this makes many of you happy.

My mouthpieces are made of brass and will be silver plated and engraved with my 10mfan™ logo, model name, and tip opening. I am not gold plating them because I want to save YOU money. Eric does a wonderful job with his plating and they will look and play gorgeous. EVERY mouthpiece will be hand finished by Eric and play tested by both Eric and myself before they are sent out. My pieces have a bite plate and are really fantastic. I do not have any "finished" version photos to release. You will have to wait till the first group of orders are completed. I just have the prototypes here, but I won't put up pics of those.
My website will have to wait too. :)

A FEW LIGS THAT WILL FIT MY METAL MOUTHPIECES:

Selmer 404---cannot be one that is already bent from the top ridge of an Otto lLnk. It must be virgin.

Ishimori---Otto link M size

Silverstein metal tenor lig

Vandoren V16 optimum

Marc Jean---I'll get you the size

Any Rovner in the 3ML or L13 size

BG sized for a metal Link

Rico H lig HTS2

I AM OFFERING THE MOST COMPLETE SELECTION OF TIP SIZE OPTIONS AVAILABLE TO THE BUYER FOR BOTH MY METAL MERLOT AND ROBUSTO MODELS: 4*-12*

I already have a bunch of names on a list who wanted these when they came out, and I will be officially taking all other orders starting NOW.

Just email me and tell me what tip size and model you want, and I will have you send a paypal. We will not be able to get the first orders out for about 1 month due to the back up with the rubber mouthpieces and the first group of metal orders, but one month or so isn't too long to wait for something new that's actually original.

You can email me at: connsaxman@comcast.net

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE MOST INCREDIBLE 9 MONTHS I COULD HAVE EVER HOPED FOR IN TERMS OF MAKING SOOOOO MANY PLAYERS SO HAPPY ALL OVER THE WORLD, AND THERE WILL BE MORE TO COME FROM ME WITH ALTO AND SOPRANO AND POSSIBLY BARI MOUTHPIECES...

YOUR SUPPORT AND KIND WORDS HAVE BEEN SO GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

*** You will need to order the metals directly through me via my email until I have my web guy set up the page on my website. He will be doing that this week for me. ***

Thank you.
All the best, Mark

See less See more
#4 ·
Hi,
I haven't found a service that offers me full tracking and insurance overseas that I'm comfortable using for any less then express mail for $50 through the post office. Fedex and UPS are too much money but if you have some suggestions I am open to looking into that.
Thank you very much and I will have pictures and samples in a few weeks or so.
If you have a trackable and insurable way to get these overseas for less money definitely email me.
All the best, Mark

My email is: connsaxman@comcast.net

#8 ·
Mark,

I just mailed out a package (mouthpiece) to Russia through USPS using certified mail with insurance (for $300) & tracking. It's a bit slow (will take about 1-2 weeks according to the USPS rep) but the shipping costs turned out to be about $25. Something that you can use?

Vansh

#5 ·
You are right, i was talking about shipping without insurance. Maybe you could give us the option to choose the kind of shipment wee prefer at our own risk, just to save some money.
I have a wonderfull Robusto...i would like to know what are the difference you feel between the metal and the hard rubber.
Thank you Mark.

#6 ·
The 2nd set of orders are already on their way to Eric.

Please contact me so you can get in the next group of orders.

Thank you all so much and enjoy your metal mouthpieces!

For those of you that have my rubber Merlot and Robusto mpc's, I would describe the metal versions like this:

MERLOT---warm , full, fat, and classic with lots of power available. Blue Note vibe. CLASSIC, CLASSIC, CLASSIC sounding piece.
ROBUSTO---warm when played easy. Full, fat, huskier, and louder when pushed. More width to the sound than the vintage pieces for me, but not quite as wide as the rubber version.

The Merlot metal can compare to a classic metal Florida Link in terms of the blow, and it can be pushed as hard as you want to push it. Its very flexible and offers a big dynamic range. With a brighter reed, it can get a little more pop than the rubber version for me. You can darken it up with warmer reeds, and the sound is big and full. It can be played super subtone to a whisper, and the sound retains its fattness and body.

The Robusto metal can get more husky than the rubber version when pushed. In terms of vintage pieces, I would explain it as a much bigger, wider, fatter, and a more powerful sound than a Florida Link, and when pushed it can go into a Berg type of zone for me if I want it to. VERY COOL! The metal version isn't quite as spread down low as the hard rubber version. It has a little more focus but still tons of width and depth throughout. I wanted to make sure the metal Robusto had a little more focus than its rubber counterpart, but still much more width than say a Florida Link.
Its hard to explain because they are original pieces that get their own vibe, so those are the closest referrences I can use to help explain in terms of pieces people already know.
It really depends on the player, because so many guys who have played the prototypes are getting their own thing with them, which is how it should be since the mouthpieces don't make you sound just one way.

They're just a ton of fun to play. The classic vintage metal sound can be had with the Merlot, but it can go modern for you if played and pushed that way.
The Robusto has a classic sound but with more juice to it and its fatter and more powerful with a more huskier sound than the Merlot when pushed-------and for me, the Merlot has lots of power and offers me more than the vintage metal Double Rings, Tonemasters, Hollywoods, and Stubby pieces do.

Both of these pieces have that classic blow to them, with the right amount of resistance for me so that you can color your sound how you want.
If you are a player that likes a very powerful quick blowing, immediate pop type of piece like a Dukoff superpower chamber, Guardala , etc..., you will really love my The Boss model which will be out soon in metal.

#9 ·
I wonder why someone would want so badly to save only about $20 or $25 on the shipping of an excellent mouthpiece and risk not receiving it because the shipping method is less safe. It doesn't make sense ... to me.

#10 ·
Mark, brother you are crazy generous with the pricing. At that price most guys can get a amazing mouthpiece and still afford reeds!
These are fantastic pieces and, I for one, know that loads of folks will dig them.
Thanks, bro!

#11 ·
Thank you. I decided to go lower so more players can check these out.
I know many players will dig these too so I didn't want to price them in the stratosphere and make it difficult for players to be able to afford them---just like my hard rubber mpc's.
Knowing all the hard work, energy, time, and money I've spent on making mpc's that are original designs, it makes no sense TO ME to see modern copy pieces of vintage pieces in the marketplace for huge prices.
Vintage pieces are rare and not being made anymore---so the prices remain high and will continue to rise. Modern mpcs aren't rare or affected by supply and demand to justify super high pricing. No need for it, in my opinion. Sellers can price their goods where they see fit, so I've put mine at a place where players can enjoy my hard work and not have to empty the bank account to do so.

#13 ·
Hi,
We are still adjusting that piece to get it to where I want it for the metal version---so I can't answer you at the moment. When it's done I can give you my assessment, but right now I can't give you an answer because we aren't done with the metal version of The Boss yet.

#14 ·
Re: NEW MPC ANNOUNCEMENT: 10MFAN™ pure hard rubber bar stock/ hand finished tenor mouthpieces--------FINALLY!!!!!

Minor spoiler to this thread. Mark sent me the prototype of his new metal Robusto in a 10 facing to check out. There is a link to video of what happened next, but I just want to take a second here to post my opinion and thoughts on this mouthpiece.

I should say upfront that I use a very old stainless Berg 130/2 for most of my musical needs, and that, outside of the rubber RPC no baffle piece that I got recently, I'm quite happy with my setup and don't feel like my equipment is holding me back in any way. My berg might be a bit on the bright side, and I realized recently I have to work a bit to pull it back a bit, but overall, I'm a happy saxophonist who does not make his living playing music.

Mark sent me this prototpye on Thursday, I gave it a blow on an Alexander DC and was just not into it, and then put a few Rigottis on it today and, well, it outplays any metal piece I have tried in years. Maybe a link to the video is best at this point.

So things to say. This thing goes from Ben Webster to Red Prysock in a matter of seconds. It goes fast, articulates cleanly, and puts out a ton of sound with just a bit of good resistance to give you something to push against. What I dig about it is that I don't have to pull back at all--it's just far enough on the bright side of dark that I can push it without it cracking, and can easily lay back and vooovooo it for hours. It does gritty, nasty, bright, big, dark, classic...it supports equal parts Lester, Brecker, Bob Berg, Bergonzi, Dexter...it's pretty freaking amazing.

I'm going to post a better video tomorrow of me taking it through the motions, but I want to say this. I don't believe there is a perfect holy grail mouthpiece. We all play one, then gravitate towards something else for a bit, then maybe come back...but what I can say about this piece after a day of playing is that this mouthpiece could easily fit the bill for absolutely any playing situation I can imagine. Afrobeat, funk, jazz, blues, soul, big band, etc. I could easily take this thing on any gig and feel totally at home with my sound and my ability to adapt.

Again, it is a 10, and plays super open and super wide around me in a big room. I'm not sure when these will be available, but it is an incredibly versatile mouthpiece for a mid-level pro or weekend warrior who wants to blend and have a voice in any variety of musical settings!v

#15 ·
Re: NEW MPC ANNOUNCEMENT: 10MFAN™ pure hard rubber bar stock/ hand finished tenor mouthpieces--------FINALLY!!!!!

Minor spoiler to this thread. Mark sent me the prototype of his new metal Robusto in a 10 facing to check out.
Might this mean that there could be a pass 'round trial of these pieces?

#16 ·

Hey Dr. G! I'm not sure if that's the plan, but Mark sent one to me to check out for feedback. I didn't think there was much new under the sun that would shake things up for me, but this metal prototype came out of left field. It was a fun piece to play, super responsive, and really locked in with me. If there is a passaround, I'd sign up for another shot at one, maybe even in a different tip opening.

Might this mean that there could be a pass 'round trial of these pieces?

#17 ·

might this mean that there could be a pass 'round trial of these pieces?
Nope---tried the pass around with the rubber pieces and I wont be doing that again.
There is nothing in the marketplace like my mpc's, and the buyers will find that out shortly with my metals.....
Several people have tried the final prototypes now and this ought to shake up the market like a breath of fresh air.

#18 ·

Minor spoiler to this thread. Mark sent me the prototype of his new metal Robusto in a 10 facing to check out. There is a link to video of what happened next, but I just want to take a second here to post my opinion and thoughts on this mouthpiece.

I should say upfront that I use a very old stainless Berg 130/2 for most of my musical needs, and that, outside of the rubber RPC no baffle piece that I got recently, I'm quite happy with my setup and don't feel like my equipment is holding me back in any way. My berg might be a bit on the bright side, and I realized recently I have to work a bit to pull it back a bit, but overall, I'm a happy saxophonist who does not make his living playing music.

Mark sent me this prototpye on Thursday, I gave it a blow on an Alexander DC and was just not into it, and then put a few Rigottis on it today and, well, it outplays any metal piece I have tried in years. Maybe a link to the video is best at this point.

So things to say. This thing goes from Ben Webster to Red Prysock in a matter of seconds. It goes fast, articulates cleanly, and puts out a ton of sound with just a bit of good resistance to give you something to push against. What I dig about it is that I don't have to pull back at all--it's just far enough on the bright side of dark that I can push it without it cracking, and can easily lay back and vooovooo it for hours. It does gritty, nasty, bright, big, dark, classic...it supports equal parts Lester, Brecker, Bob Berg, Bergonzi, Dexter...it's pretty freaking amazing.

I'm going to post a better video tomorrow of me taking it through the motions, but I want to say this. I don't believe there is a perfect holy grail mouthpiece. We all play one, then gravitate towards something else for a bit, then maybe come back...but what I can say about this piece after a day of playing is that this mouthpiece could easily fit the bill for absolutely any playing situation I can imagine. Afrobeat, funk, jazz, blues, soul, big band, etc. I could easily take this thing on any gig and feel totally at home with my sound and my ability to adapt.

Again, it is a 10, and plays super open and super wide around me in a big room. I'm not sure when these will be available, but it is an incredibly versatile mouthpiece for a mid-level pro or weekend warrior who wants to blend and have a voice in any variety of musical settings!v
HONKBOPSAX----Thank you very much for checking out the metal Robusto and I'm so glad you love it so much!
Guys who love vintage metal Links, Dukoff Hollywoods, Stubbies, Zimberoffs, Selmer metals, etc..., will be THRILLED that these metals have been made. I've played the vintage pieces and have played the copycats of those, and there isnt one I'd play over my Robusto. Please don't take that statement lightly....I have owned thousands of vintage pieces over the last 30 years.

PLAYERS REALLY HAVE SOMETHING ORIGINAL AND SPECIAL TO LOOK FORWARD TO!

Eric, your clip sounds great!
The metal 10mfan mouthpieces are so flexible and can take you in so many directions. They don't put you in a sound corner and make you sound one way and one way only.
Players have something very special to look forward to.

This is an exciting time for metal tenor players. When my THE BOSS model comes out, it will complete the set, and offer players that quick air stream, full-bodied, powerhouse punchy thing.

If you dig your vintage pieces or copies of those---enjoy those. If you are looking for another piece that will feel or sound the SAME---you won't get that from me. If you want to buy another version of a Link or another over-copied mpc, there are plenty on the market to choose from. You just wont get that from me....I want MORE than the vintage pieces give me and thats what I've put out.

The finished version will be silver plated with the black tooth plate. I couldn't be prouder of the Merlot and Robusto metals. Players are really in for a treat.

If you want to order one, just contact me directly at: connsaxman@comcast.net

#21 ·

HonkBopSax

that sounds TREMENDOUS.... wow I am blown away. I love how free your sound is with that huge tip and a meaty reed. AMAZING !

I am blown away!

#22 ·

My first dealer is SOUTH WALES WOODWIND in the UK. The owner, Dick Hamer, has some of my hard rubber pieces in stock as we speak. Please go visit him and try them out.

Great news. Richard really is a great person to deal with.
Please allow me some extra support...
http://www.woodwindsalesandrepairs.com/

Great playing indeed!
Is that a un-plated prototype?
How does it taste like?

Has anyone compared the feel/beak/size of the metal piece with the HR?
A metal Merlot is really tempting....

#24 ·

Great news. Richard really is a great person to deal with.
Please allow me some extra support...
http://www.woodwindsalesandrepairs.com/

Great playing indeed!
Is that a un-plated prototype?
How does it taste like?

Has anyone compared the feel/beak/size of the metal piece with the HR?
A metal Merlot is really tempting....
Thank you. Eric is playing an unplated piece. We don't have any finished pieces in terms of plating and engraving. I will have a picture to show of the finished product in about three weeks when the first orders are completed. The finished product will be silver plated with the black tooth plate. The beak has the same beautiful feel that the rubber pieces have but it is of course smaller then the rubber version. It's got the same angles on the beak, so if you love the beaks on the rubber pieces you'll absolutely love the metals. The beaks are super comfortable. The mouthpiece also is a nice heavy piece and Eric is using the Selmer two screw 404 ligature with it.

#25 ·

I know may not be easy to arrange things this way at this point, but could people insert their post on the metal pieces on the 10mfan metal pieces thread instead of this one? It'd be a way for us who are interested only in the metal pieces to have quicker access to the information. Just an idea.

#27 ·

Hi Liam,
I hope you are doing great!!!
Most people don't want to play bare brass mouthpieces.
I am using silver plate because I love the look of that finish, and it also keeps the cost down for the buyer because gold plating is much more expensive.
My metals will come with the silver plate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.