Thread: James Stoltie

Discombobulated SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013-2017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default James Stoltie

James Stoltie has been mentioned a few times on the forum. Here's a thread dedicated to him.

He is best-known as the long-time saxophone professor and later dean of the Crane School of Music at Potsdam. His bio is posted on the New England Music Camp website: http://nemusiccamp.com/music/music-f...james-stoltie/

He has a couple of old LP recordings. The first was released on Coronet, James Stoltie Plays Music for Saxophone Alone. I think this is probably the first album dedicated entirely to solo saxophone works. The pieces are Sonata in A Minor by C.P.E. Bach, Syrinx by Debussy, Parable IX by Persichetti, Petite Suite by Hartley, Incantation and Ritual by Gates, Canto by Del Borgo, and Improvisation I by Noda. The gorgeous saxophone playing is in a hybrid style that reflects his varied teachers (Don Ross, Sigurd Rascher, Himie Voxman, Eugene Rousseau, Bernard Garfield, and Larry Teal) and unusual equipment combination (the album photo shows some kind of stubby mouthpiece on a Selmer I think - maybe someone can provide details based on the attached scan). The Rascher influence is pronounced but his sound is heavier and with a slightly different color than is usually associated with that school.

A second LP on Redwood Records was recorded with a Crane colleague, pianist Helen King: Lyrical Music for Saxophone and Piano. His playing here is a little less impressive, as his tonal control seems just a little off to me, still very nice though.

I just discovered that I had a third example of his playing sitting here on my shelf and had not even realized it. He plays a 13 minute solo piece called Chetna by Akmal Parwez on the double CD Sounds Like 1996: Music by Asian American Artists on the Innocent Eyes and Lenses label. The playing is again very nice though the piece is only OK.

If I remember correctly, my saxophone teacher a million years ago in high school had studied with Stoltie. I don't believe I ever knew the circumstances, but I think I just discovered them as I was reading Stoltie's bio: Stoltie taught woodwinds at Susquehanna University in Pennsylvania in the 1960s and played bassoon in the Harrisburg Symphony, a period when my teacher, John Colangelo, would have been playing clarinet in the orchestra. So presumably John took saxophone lessons from James on the side at the time.

2014-04-27 093737.jpg
    Stay thirsty my friends.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: James Stoltie

One of my old teachers was a student of James Stoltie at SUNY-Potsdam. Great post!
    Last edited by CrystallineVisions; 11-09-2015 at 07:54 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I studied with Dr. Stoltie in the 1980s at Crane. He was a real gentleman and a very generous teacher. I've was blessed with some exceptional teachers in my youth, but Dr. Stoltie was more than a great studio teacher, as an academic adviser and someone just interested in helping you find your way, he was the absolute best. Other teachers may have ultimately influenced my playing more, but I dont' know of any who influenced the path through music I ultimately chose more than Jim Stoltie.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As to Dr. Stoltie's mouthpiece, refer to your old thread : http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthr...thpiece-issues Probably one of those or perhaps a derivative Rascher Alto piece. I believe that pictured is similar to what he was using during the first years of the WSC (1969-1972).