Looking for classical soprano saxophone recordings - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Looking for classical soprano saxophone recordings

Christian Wirth (with Habanera Quartet). The altissimo in the Dvorak American Quintet is sublime. He has the best soprano tone I've ever heard.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member and Sax Historian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forgive the self-promotion, but my latest solo CD, "Amercian Landscapes" includes two soprano works. The haunting three movement sonata for soprano and piano by Steve Cohen (no relation) and the evocative "Incantation and Ritual" by Gates for solo soprano.

On the chamber CD "Quiet City" I also perform the soprano sonata by Lawson Lunde. The New Hudson Saxophone Quartet CDs have extensive soprano work, particularly in the CDs "American Muse" and "Breathing Lessons"

Paul Cohen

Forum Contributor 2010
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol Dr Cohen beat me to it, I literally only clicked on this thread to tell you about Incantation on Cohen's latest album.

Kudos Doc, great album, love some of these very different selections!

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If more self promotion is allowed, Kyle Horch plays soprano on three works on my CD Islas, his tone was praised when Saxophone Journal reviewed it a few years ago. Here is the link (including reviews) and it can be ordered from me for $12, including postage, to anywhere in the world:

http://www.ianstewart.eu/islas/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amy Dickson recently released a new album, Glass, that premieres her own transcription for soprano saxophone of the Philip Glass Sonata for Violin and Piano. If you've never heard the original version of this sonata, it's very lively and beautiful, and was recorded by violinist Maria Bachmann on her album, Glass Heart. (These artists may need to hire an agency to come up with more creative CD titles.)

All three movements of the sonata are very good, but my favorite is probably the slow and lyrical second movement, which possibly best translates best into saxophone music (ignore the erroneous caption, "Arr. for Saxophone and Orchestra"):

The only problem with Dickson's album is that the other major work on it is her well-known soprano sax version of the Glass Violin Concerto No. 1. Since I already own that recording on her earlier album, Glass, Tavener & Nyman, it's a redundant offering for me. Of course, if you didn't buy GT&N, and want to collect all Dickson's Glass pieces at once, the new album is perfect.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2