Sax on the Web Forum banner

New sax design by Jim Schmidt

7K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  JMac 
#1 ·
Just wanted to share a site I came across sometime ago. This guy is proposing a new fingering for the saxophone that makes more "sense". His new design has no palm keys and no side keys. I know for me that is "heaven" because moving from flute to sax has been challenging especially when it came to the palm and side keys. Anyway here's the site:

http://draco.its.csufresno.edu/~js210/

Let me know what you think.

#2 ·
hall, maybe the posts were lost in the move to the new server, but there has been a considerable number of postings over the years on the JS horns.
They are really fascinating, aren't they?!
I don't know anyone who has ever played one, much less bought one....

#5 ·
I have often wondered about the learning curve on this horn. I think if I were a kid again just starting out, maybe Jim's idea would be good (ungodly expensive, but good)....but I have been at it more than 34 years.
I wonder how long it would take me to throw off the old fingering response while ad libbing?
I am sure I could adjust quickly enough for reading music :roll:

#6 ·
Speaking as a rank beginner (4 months), I like the current setup. Once the fingerings were shown to me, I can see the logic of it and I don't have any trouble remembering notes and I find it easy for me to improvise (or to be more accurate at this point, to noodle :D ) and be able to have a feel for which way is up.

#7 ·
I feel that by learning this new system first though, players would be hurting themselves in the long run. When they are ready to upgrade to a new, nice sax, they will be practically beginners again, and have to learn the traditional systrem regardless.

Martin Williams

#10 ·
If I had the $ to spare - I'd be on the waiting list. Intersting that the same concept was used in his flute, which is straight bore vs. the saxophone's conical bore. Wonder if it would work for clarinet, oboe, etc? Would make doubling much easier to have a single set of fingerings for all woodwinds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.