Sax on the Web Forum banner

Burdwise C Melody

8K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  jhammons01 
#1 ·
I pulled out my two C Melody saxes last night. One is a Martin. The other is in a Conn case but has something like Artist Brand A. Burdwise inscribed on the bell. The patent on the back looks similar to a Conn patent. Does anyone know anything about the Burdwise that they could share?

#4 ·
Thanks. Is this the same as today's store brands at the grocery store that may be made in the same plant as a name brand? Is there a good online source of pictures of various c-melody saxes that I could compare to?

#6 ·
Just looked at it. Looks like an early Conn. Has same patent text as my Conn Tenor. Will get pics. Has patent date, then patent number, then C, then serial number P10XXX, then L for low pitch. Has drawn, not rolled, tone holes.

#11 ·
As Bruce said, it is a Pan American. Pan American was a manufacturing subsidiary of CG Conn, with their factory opening in November 1919. So it is not a Conn stencil, but a Pan American stencil based on the model 50M . Additionally, based on the survey I am conducting, the C melody would date to the early 1920s. I would like to include this sax in the survey as eventually I want to be able to develop production statistics for Pan American also. If possible could you PM the complete serial number?
Thanks,
Kurt

#8 ·
It is a Conn for sure. The P in the serial number indicates it as a second line Conn (Pan-American) and is pretty basic with no key pearls. Also the low C guard is the "mercedes" style. I would put it as late 20s as what I can see of the G# lever looks to be flatter and not convex like the earlier ones.

#9 ·
Hello Everyone! I'm a little late responding but I am the Great-Granddaughter of Mr. Aaron Burdwise. My mother (his granddaughter) is a sax player :) He was an inventor, composer and musical instrument dealer in America circa 1900-1930. He was in the music trades industry back in what is now the Ukraine before coming to America, he was Jewish and left to escape persecution. During the most successful times of the company he had five shop locations in Baltimore, a staff of 100 and a traveling salesforce. As stated in the thread, many of the instruments he sold were simply marked with his shop label, others he innovated and patented himself (violins and plectrums). Lastly, my family collects his shop brand instruments and would be thrilled if you were ever interested in selling. We don't own a sax and it would mean so much to us to have one in our collection -- we would pay above the estimated value if you ever were willing to sell, Mr. JazzMan. If anyone ever comes across one for sale, I would be incredibly grateful for a referral. Many thanks!

#14 ·
AimeeBurdwiseEllis - I don't know if you are monitoring this as I know this is a 3-year old thread but I believe I have a 1920's Burdwise C-melody saxophone and would be willing to sell it if you are interested. Please send me a private message on here or respond to the one I sent you.

Thanks.

#17 ·
@Tuba Lady

welcome and a couple of things.

First you have quoted someone else and made a post without any of your content.

You then have answered on a second post. You can edit posts by clicking on the 3 dots on the right side that shows the edit function.

You are also answering a 7 years old thread ( nothing wrong with reviving new threads though) but you are answering a member who has never returned to the forum ever since!

Don't let be fooled by the " recommended for you" page, that only shows things according to your recorded search interest and when you are new it is totally random or based on very few things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.