Sax on the Web Forum banner

Playin while sick

10K views 39 replies 25 participants last post by  Fader 
#1 ·
So I'm working my way through a cold but it's also a busy time for me performance wise so I have had no choice but to continue playing through it. Usually I lay down my horn till I clear up but I haven't had much of a choice; so I guess I just want to hear your thoughts on playing with a cold. I feel like the germs stick around in my horn and keep me sick but I don't know if that is at all realistic.

#37 ·
I've played sick more than once...even with Respiratory infections - and surprisingly, I felt better for it. It really cleans out the pipes....
but if it's contagious, its inconsiderate at the least. One thing is certain - I no longer think the show can't go on without me...There's other players - if that won't do it - there's other acts. If the client doesn't understand, I don't need them. If it's a friend, they'll understand. If it's a regular gig, they'll understand. If your audience (or band mates) are that important to you, don't risk their health...we're just the entertainment - they might actually be important! :)

...and it doesn't matter who you are, or how many gigs you've played without calling one due to illness - one day you won't be on the stage, but the show will go on...

#38 ·
<...>
...and it doesn't matter who you are, or how many gigs you've played without calling one due to illness - one day you won't be on the stage, but the show will go on...
Not if you are a solo or in a duo. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.