Philip Glass Melodies for Saxophone
Viking Instruments
Hyson Music

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Philip Glass Melodies for Saxophone

Has anyone attended or heard of a saxophone recital that included any of the 13 Melodies for Saxophone by Philip Glass? The pieces are brief, in the nature of sketches or simple etudes, but they are attractive and enjoyable to play. The only one that's without much substance in my opinion is No. 5, which is basically a trill study. Some of them were incorporated into the themes for the Glass Concerto for Saxophone Quartet. Although there is no piano accompaniment, it occurs to me that a saxophonist could select a set of favorite melodies and create a nice little suite, a la the common performance practice for Prokofiev's "Visions fugitives."

All 13 Glass Melodies were recorded by Andrew Sterman of the Philip Glass Ensemble on the Saxophone CD that features the sax-only version of the Glass Quartet. I'm not overly found of Sterman's tone on this recording, but he does provide valuable guidance (possibly composer-endorsed guidance) as to tempo, style, and choice of saxophone for each melody. He plays four on tenor and three on each of the other horns.

Any other recordings of one or more of the Melodies?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Philip Glass Melodies for Saxophone

Wow, the Classical section of the SOTW Forum seems pretty dead, with just a couple of posts per day for all threads combined. Anyway, in answer to my own question, here's Ties Mellema carrying out the "suite" idea I mentioned:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Predictably, other instruments are now attempting to elbow their way in. Here's Melody for Saxophone No. 8 played on a bizarre flugelhorn that actually does look a little like a saxophone:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LostConn View Post
    Has anyone attended or heard of a saxophone recital that included any of the 13 Melodies for Saxophone by Philip Glass? The pieces are brief, in the nature of sketches or simple etudes, but they are attractive and enjoyable to play. The only one that's without much substance in my opinion is No. 5, which is basically a trill study. Some of them were incorporated into the themes for the Glass Concerto for Saxophone Quartet. Although there is no piano accompaniment, it occurs to me that a saxophonist could select a set of favorite melodies and create a nice little suite, a la the common performance practice for Prokofiev's "Visions fugitives."

All 13 Glass Melodies were recorded by Andrew Sterman of the Philip Glass Ensemble on the Saxophone CD that features the sax-only version of the Glass Quartet. I'm not overly found of Sterman's tone on this recording, but he does provide valuable guidance (possibly composer-endorsed guidance) as to tempo, style, and choice of saxophone for each melody. He plays four on tenor and three on each of the other horns.

Any other recordings of one or more of the Melodies?
    I did one myself for practice purposes a while back, but would have to dig it out and I'm not sure I would share it publicly

whilst Andrew Sterman's tone may not be what one expects from a classical recording (he's not a classical player so no point in comparing) I do find his interpretation far more interesting than Ties Mellema's, which to me lacks drive, character and is far too 'nice.'
    Glass' melodies, whilst 'simple,' have a lot in them and I think Sterman's recording captures more of the raw, gritty nature of NYC and its contemporary art scene.
    It's worth noting that as Andrew Sterman works for Philip Glass he has a far deeper understanding of his music.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, the Classical section of the SOTW Forum seems pretty dead, with just a couple of posts per day for all threads combined.
    You noticed....it all seems to be only about mouthpieces and gear here......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice, where can I get the sheet music?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oldfartsaxplayer View Post
    You noticed....it all seems to be only about mouthpieces and gear here......
    Start a thread about jazz tenor mouthpieces and you can get thousands of posts!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hadamard View Post
    Nice, where can I get the sheet music?
    Try sheetmusicplus.com.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try sheetmusicplus.com.
    Thanks: I love Philip Glass and some studies for saxophone by him are very welcome!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Everyone
    Are these Philip Glass saxophone melodies for Tenor, alto or soprano?

Perraudin

Forum Contributor 2015-2017 BillyGreece's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try sheetmusicplus.com.
    Very reliable store! I have purchased much music from it!
    "It is, in short,a quality of tone sui generis, presenting vague analogies with the sounds of the violoncello, of the clarinet and corno inglese, and invested with a brazen
    tinge which imparts a quite peculiar accent."

~Hector Berlioz~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Perraudin View Post
    Hi Everyone

Perraudin
    Those are for saxophone solo, so you can play them with any kind of sax.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check Amy Dickson on YouTube. Her tone, technique and circle breathing make me want to drive over my soprano with a truck.
    2005 Yamaha 82Z alto, Bettoney C Melody, 1946 King Zephyr Tenor,
    2004 the Woodwind Soprano,1989 Normandy Clarinet, 2005 Band Now Flute
    1989 smokin' hot Wife who hates Kenny G!

Distinguished Member John_Dikeman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was actually thinking of practicing some Glass compositions the other day. Seems like a great way to work on circular breathing and playing in time for a looooooong time.
    Anyone have any of the sax parts for Einstein on the Beach, for instance?

Sorry, I have nothing to offer in response to what you were actually asking for.... Though I've met Ties a few times. Even played together in an improv setting. Nice guy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Perraudin View Post
    Hi Everyone
    That's up to you. As I mentioned in the OP in this thread, the only complete recording (to my knowledge) of the Melodies features four pieces on tenor, three on soprano, three on alto, and three on baritone. I've jotted down these choices on my copy of the sheet music, just to keep aware of them, but I certainly don't always follow them -- especially since I don't play baritone. And you can make your own choices.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by John_Dikeman View Post
    I was actually thinking of practicing some Glass compositions the other day. Seems like a great way to work on circular breathing and playing in time for a looooooong time.
    Anyone have any of the sax parts for Einstein on the Beach, for instance?
    You can buy selections from Einstein on the Beach, and I believe the complete score is also available, but it could be pretty expensive. Also, the saxophone parts in this work, though extensive, are not always very interesting by themselves. A lot of them are just simple ostinatos designed to function as part of the fabric woven by the entire Philip Glass Ensemble.

If you're looking to move beyond the 13 Melodies, I recommend the Glass Saxophone Quartet (make sure you get the quartet-only version, not the concerto version). Those parts are very rich in addition to being demanding and stamina-testing. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, some of the Melodies are incorporated into the Quartet.

Another good Glass sheet music option would be Glassworks, especially the Facades piece.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've revived this thread to add another example of a performance of selections from the 13 Melodies as a suite. This time the saxophonist switches among soprano, alto, and tenor, and is accompanied by a dancer. The pieces played are Nos. 2, 7, 8, 11, and 12.