Sax on the Web Forum banner

* PHIL-TONE and Theo Wanne MOSAIC Reviews *

117K views 254 replies 74 participants last post by  Vanadiel 
#1 · (Edited)
I am pleased to announce the arrival of the second cooperatively made piece by Phil-Tone and Theo Wanne Inc. Plans for the Mosaic began midway through the design of the Tribute. As many of you know, the Tribute is a precise replica of the Florida Link. It is focused, refined, and in every way embodies what most players envision when they imagine a great Link.

The support we have received for the Tribute has been outstanding. It is truly a phenomenal piece. However, most of us want more than one flavor of ice cream. Everyone doesn’t want to play a Link. Sometimes a player wants a piece that is a little less civilized, maybe sometimes even a bit rude. The Mosaic is that piece. It has color, texture and resonance to extend your sound concept into different realms. Offering a tonal palate that is thick, chunky and rich the Mosaic can get “Up in your face” when you want it to and simply sings.

The sound is inspired by the Dukoff “Stubby” but takes the concept a step beyond. The piece accomplishes what few pieces can. It is easy to blow, has an enormous sound and resonance. Never thin, the Mosaic has more color than any mouthpiece I have ever played hands down! The piece accomplishes this without the use of high baffles. This allows the player to shape his or her sound. From warm ballads to driving bop the Mosaic delivers.

The Mosaic is machined to the highest standards available. Each piece is then handcrafted to completion. Each and every piece is play tested prior to final finishing. The Mosaic will be offered as a 7* (.105) with custom tips available. The piece will ship with Theo’s Enlightened Ligature and two pressure plates. The retail cost for the Mosaic is $495.

As titled, this thread is for reviews....our very own Steve Neff will be posting very shortly.

Thanks
Phil

See less See more
#235 ·
I know this thread has been dead for a while, but I figured I'd put my thoughts here rather than start another.

I picked up a 7* Mosaic from a SOTW-er back in March and have spent some time going back and forth between it and my Link for most of that time, mostly on my 10M. The Mosaic was a bit of a left turn for me, given that most of what I've been playing on for the past couple of years has had more baffle (10MFan Robusto, RPC 115B), but I've been falling back in love with my trusty Link in the last 6 months or so and have been enjoying "blowing bright" on a more medium-dark mouthpiece, so I wanted to try something darker to see if I enjoyed that. Plus, I have been listening to a bunch of Dexter, so I might have been feeling a little inspired.

Overall, the Mosaic delivered as advertised. It's got a big, fat sound that's dark, but anything but mellow. And when I say big, I mean big. It's borderline antisocial how massive the sound is. That's a good thing. Someone above mentioned the "west coast" tenor school and I honestly am not finding that here. When I think of that sound, I think of a warm, woody, more polite tone that is a bit softer around the edges. Especially on the 10M, when I take in my normal amount of mouthpiece, there's this edge that gives the sound a certain hardness that I think gives it definition and cut without picking up that more focused tone like when you push a Link. The harder you push, the more of that hardness you can pick up, but it never thins out. It's amazing.

People keep mentioning Dexter and I can hear why. It's not going to make you sound like Dexter on its own, but it does promote that kind of massive sound that he had. The one that (to me) meant he never really quite blended when playing with other horns, in a good way. He just had a sound that was so distinctive and unlike anything else happening that it always stood out and always cut through the mix. Dex is for sure one of my favorite players ever and that tone that just refused to fit in is one of my favorite things about him. A warm core and a hard edge. This is kind of like that. It's not like any other mouthpiece I have.

If you are someone who is really committed to playing with a big, fat sound that doesn't thin out, this is great option. I think for that kind of sound, I've never played anything that I feel like would allow me to hold my own in a loud situation quite like this one would. Ultimately, though, I find that kind of a tone to feel a bit unwieldy sometimes, and I do like my sound to get a lot more focused when I push it. I like it to break a bit more and get brighter. So I'm sticking with my Link. That's not a dig on the Mosaic. It does what it does spectacularly and is made beautifully. It's just easier for me to sound how I want to sound on my Link. Not surprising, given that I learned how to play on that Link and played it for almost 10 years before I really went down the rabbit hole trying new stuff.

As a secondary (but still important) aside, the mouthpiece looks fantastic. Every detail is cosmetically perfect, the rails are beautiful and the thin, undercut table is really something to behold. As you'd expect from Phil and Theo, I suppose, but I think I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that.

I do think I'd like to try the Tribute, though. That seems like it might be more my speed.

#236 ·
I've been playing my new Mosaic mouthpiece for about a week and I find it to be an outstanding product. The sound is warm, focused and pleasing in ALL registers. It has a bit of resistance that makes it easy to play evenly all around the horn and the facing makes intonation easier than on other mouthpieces that I own.
I love it. The finish is also perfect!
Phil was very nice to deal with and service was prompt and pleasant. The trial period he offers is a moot point since you will not be returning this mouthpiece!
:)
Mark Brown
www.LibroReal.com

#237 ·
I just got my Sakshama "Shorty" tenor mouthpiece and I find it to be absolutely wonderful! Super open, broad, warm, pleasant sound.
.105 tip.

In comparison to my other new mpc, the Phil-Tone Mosaic, the Sakshama has a larger chamber, thus less resistance and a more spread sound, but equally great to play. I love them both equally and will be hard pressed to choose one over the other. Same tip opening, same wonderful musical satisfaction, just slightly different. The Phil-Tone a bit more focused and the Sakshama a bit more spread, that's it. Both absolutely great!
Sakshama is super nice to deal with and offers good service and is reliable. He is truly a mouthpiece expert. His pieces are not mere copies of the old designs.
:)
Mark Brown
www.LibroReal.com

#238 ·
OK, this is a bit of an odd request, but I am trying to figure out ligature fit without the ligature in my hands here.

Has anyone used the HR soprano-sized Vandoren Optimum ligature on their Mosaic? The 'Metal Tenor' size is a little too large for the Phil-Tone (fits a Link nicely) and I'm looking for something to use with the Mosaic and my Barone. If anyone has both of these things kicking around and can confirm that they do or don't fit, that would be super helpful!

#244 ·
Hi Phil, I thought the Ltd wasn't being made anymore? I got a Mosaic from you last September or so and that was what was communicated at the time. Something like, the new Mosaics are basically Ltd's but you aren't making both versions anymore... please correct me if I'm wrong!

#245 ·
The LTd wasnt being made. I had made a single batch of them a couple years back. The only difference was the ability to have more baffle on the piece, by request, than he original mosaic. There was also more hand work and more trim rails. I recently worked with theo to make some of those changes permanent in the model. My first new run is done I sold a the few I had here and a new run is going to be in the mail to me in the next couple of weeks. The original will go away because I can produce the original from an ltd blank or a piece with more or less baffle.

#248 ·
It's too bad that Rico don't make the "OL" sized standard ligature anymore. Er... I mean "D'Addario don't make the 'OL' size standard Rico ligature anymore". I have a couple of these, they fit my Tribute perfectly, and the nickel plated finish goes really well with the Tribute's finish. :)

I have done the mouthpiece patch trick on other mouthpieces, most notably Bari soprano pieces which are smaller than normal. This works but it's kinda clunky feeling. I use UMHW tape for mouthpiece patches, which is hard, so it's OK. Had to use two layers on a Bari piece, and that worked, but I'd still rather have a lig that fits properly. (I don't much like the ones that Bari provide.),,

#249 ·
It's too bad that Rico don't make the "OL" sized standard ligature anymore. Er... I mean "D'Addario don't make the 'OL' size standard Rico ligature anymore". I have a couple of these, they fit my Tribute perfectly, and the nickel plated finish goes really well with the Tribute's finish. :)

I have done the mouthpiece patch trick on other mouthpieces, most notably Bari soprano pieces which are smaller than normal. This works but it's kinda clunky feeling. I use UMHW tape for mouthpiece patches, which is hard, so it's OK. Had to use two layers on a Bari piece, and that worked, but I'd still rather have a lig that fits properly. (I don't much like the ones that Bari provide.),,
The HR Soprano size Rico inverted lig actually fits the Mosaic perfectly. Looks pretty snazzy, too.

#254 ·
this video was recorded using the iPhone camera and microphone...I have a more Advanced mic AKG C3000 ( condenser ) and I will be re-recording this song as I have practiced just a little more ( I was absent from my Saxophone for a month ) and I think that I can play it a little better.

#252 ·
Hello everyone.

Just a quick word to chime in, I just had the chance to snatch a Mosaic 7* one week ago somewhere online for 350€. I'm really happy with my 10MFan Celebration, but I was really curious to try again a Metal Mouthpiece, I'm deep (at least I'm trying) into studying Dexter lately and even though that's not really the sound I was looking into, I was really impressed when I tried the Rift few weeks ago.

And I must say, this is a incredible mouthpiece. It got warmth, power, a thick sound but with a little cherry on the top, really digging it, congrats Phil !

I think this is a early 2018 model with USA stamped on it, so a pre-LTD model I guess? Playing it on a Reference 36 with Boston Sax Shop reeds, haven't tried other yet.

#253 ·
Hello everyone.

Just a quick word to chime in, I just had the chance to snatch a Mosaic 7* one week ago somewhere online for 350€. I'm really happy with my 10MFan Celebration, but I was really curious to try again a Metal Mouthpiece, I'm deep (at least I'm trying) into studying Dexter lately and even though that's not really the sound I was looking into, I was really impressed when I tried the Rift few weeks ago.

And I must say, this is a incredible mouthpiece. It got warmth, power, a thick sound but with a little cherry on the top, really digging it, congrats Phil !

I think this is a early 2018 model with USA stamped on it, so a pre-LTD model I guess? Playing it on a Reference 36 with Boston Sax Shop reeds, haven't tried other yet.
Can we hear your playing in the Mosaic ?

Reactions: Vanadiel
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.