Sax on the Web Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

SOTW new member introductions, 2014 January - March

Tags
48K views 218 replies 203 participants last post by  Tiffinym 
#1 ·
We would like to welcome all new members to the SOTW forum.
Please introduce yourself here by replying to this thread, and share some of your interests and background.

Also, on behalf of the whole Admin Team I'd like to wish you all very Happy New Year and thank all old members for your support and activity during the past year.

Keep tooting your horns,

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: SOTW new member introductions, 2014 -

Greetings, all. I've been playing sax for many years, with a couple of "off" periods. Currently playing in a community big band and a community college jazz program. Instruments are a Super 20 alto, MkVI tenor, and an SA80 bari. Constantly trying to improve all aspects of my playing, especially intonation since I change from bari to alto often. Looking forward to communicating with all the other member of the SOTW community.

#3 · (Edited)

Greetings as well. I've used this website and your members insights for reference many times but finally decided to join and begin offering my own for this new year.

I'm based in Louisville, Kentucky and play regularly locally and regionally. I released a duo album with a brazilian drummer in September and I'm proud to be a part of another project coming out with a record this spring called D'arkestra.

Please check out my website and have a look around, a listen, and let me know what you think! Thanks.

graemegardiner.wordpress.com
graemegardiner.bandcamp.com

#4 ·

Hello everyone. I've recently picked up the sax again after a sadly extended break. I've played bass guitar now for about 20 years in various blues and jazz bands. My dad lost part of his finger, and has given up on the sax. The sax was the first instrument I learned, but later decided to play trombone and bass on the school bands. I played the sax a few times here and there since HS, but nothing serious. Well I couldn't bear to watch these saxes sit there and not be played. So I took them home with me. I called up a sax player I've done a few jazz gigs with and asked him to give me lessons. My first lesson is tomorrow and I can't wait!!!! I'ts been about 5 years since I picked up a sax. But, I'm surprised I can still fumble through some of the tunes in my real books. I remembered most of the fingerings, but I'm having a heck of a time with low D and C.

#5 ·

Hi all. I've been playing for about 20 years. From San Francisco, ca. Just been getting into the world of vintage horns and I definitely dig it. Tons of great info here. I have questions from time to time. I guess the biggest one is how to start a thread. I have a question about a sax I just bought. Anyways, it's good to be here..Aaron

#6 ·

Happy new year to all. I have came to saxophone late in life, as to be honest, I couldnt afford one in the past and didnt know anyone who would let me try one, living in Aberdeenshire Scotland. Now I can afford one, I find the internet a great place to shop(and ohh how I shop) , find information, and learn.

Thank you in advance to all the forum users, from whom I will be following the posts and picking up tips.

Dennis

#7 ·

Hi From the UK, I've been playing Sax for around 11 years, I mostly play blues and the occasional Jazz number. At the moment I still play my trusty student sax but hoping to invest in either a good Selmer, Yanni or Yam 82. When I get into a conversation with friends etc. I always say 'Saxophone is my passion' always was, always will be. Ron

#8 ·

Hi, I came to the forum looking for some help from some people who I thought were in the best position to do so. My grandfather was a wonderful musician and played piano, flute and saxophone. He was born in 1890 and died 30 years ago. I played the saxophone when I was younger but no longer do so. When my grandfather died in the 1970's he left me his saxophone and now I have moved to New Zealand and wanted to find out a little more about it but can find no information of use.
The saxophone has a mark from Rudall Carte & Co ltd - I believe it is fairly old. Does anyone have any suggestions of where I may find out a little more about it?
Thank you :)

#10 ·

Hello All - I played from about age 10 and stopped playing after high school. Now my 14 and 12 year old kids are playing and I've picked it up again to play with them. We should have had one more kid to fill the quartet. Sadly my wife doesn't play. Looking forward to pick up where i left off and learning and keeping up with my kids.

#11 ·

Hi, I'm a clarinetist of 8 years who moonlights as a saxophonist (bari and soprano primarily). I've used this site so often in the past to find out information about vintage instruments so I thought I would join to be apart of all this. Oh and I am a high school senior who plans to major in music.

#13 ·

New Old Member.....

My name is John, was a member several years ago, but never real active. I met a few of you at a Jazz workshop in Bethesda MD. with Jeff Antoniuk which featured Jeff Coffin as a guest instructor (which was very cool)...

Anyways, a couple of years ago I was involved in a serious motorcycle wreck which injured my spinal cord. I have made an almost complete recovery, but am still working on some lingering issues, one of which is diminished dexterity in my left hand. I am now to the point where I can grip things well (like a motorcycle handlebar ;) ), and am in search of a new horn to noodle around with as therapy...

SO, I find myself back here researching stuff am shopping for a new horn (BTW, let me know if you have something decent in a closet collecting dust)....

Glad to be back.....

#14 ·

Hi, I'm Niclas, living in Uppsala, Sweden. Played a Yanagisawa 880 tenor until i sold it (very stupid) around 1999. Didn't have a horn until around 2003 when I bought a Yanagisawa Eleonora soprano from 1989. Sold it a year ago to buy an alto. Found it recently, an A900. Catching up on my embouchure now. Already thinking about going back to where I started: with a tenor.

Happy to find all the information about tone building etc that is available on the web today. Had nothing such when I started playing. Looking forward to what I can learn here.

#15 · (Edited)
SOTW new member introductions, 2014 -

Hi there, I'm Jamie. I've been playing sax since I pleaded for one at Christmas 9 years ago! (I'm 19 years old now) . Currently play an unknown stencil alto that I'm eventually hoping to find out more about using this site and saxpics. YTS62 Tenor in the wings. Also recently taken a plunge and bought the Sakkusu Bass from sax.co.uk after visiting a while back. more on that story as it develops!

increasingly interested in vintage saxes.

piano is my first instrument (sorry!) and I'm studying music at Birmingham conservatoire at the moment.

all that aside, I'm not too much of an anorak (I hope) and more than anything enjoy playing and meeting new people. Glad to be part of the community.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Forum Fiend v1.1.5.

#16 ·

Hey all, this is Ryan. I've been a member for a few years now but never really posted or even perused until recently. I'm a winds player (primarily tenor and soprano saxophones) living in Brooklyn, New York. I'm excited to become a part of the family and share knowledge with the members here. Looking forward to meeting some of you!

https://www.facebook.com/ryan.weisheit

Instruments:

YSS-875 Yamaha Soprano
56,XXX Mark VI Alto
Random C-Melody
292,XXX Mark VII Tenor
Buffet R13 Bb Clarinet
Selmer Bass Clarinet
Random Flute

#19 ·

Hi y'all! I've viewed this site for a few years and finally decided to become a member. I live in the Toronto area and I've played professionally on and off for the past 53 years doing some jingle /studio work but mostly clubs and private parties. I'm a rocker/blues player at heart and am in the market for buying a new mpc for my tenor. I'll be asking for your opinion on a few mpcs I'm considering.

'58 Mark VI tenor
'64 Mark VI alto
'64 Selmer clarinet
'72 Armstrong Flute

#20 ·

Hi, My Name is Donald, I am a Kiwifruit Grower, Beekeper and a suzuki cello teacher (when i have spare time lol) I also played saxophone when at high school (about 8 years ago). I played a vintage baritone (french, 1920 ish) and after i left school i had to give it back (and it got destoryed :( ) and i now own two saxophones, a alto made by A Douchet and ce thought to be around 70 years old (and in need to a service) and a 'Luigi Alziati Fondata Nel 1870-Milano 131-Prodotto Superiore Soprano Sax in need of full restoration.... So yea :)

#22 ·

Hi my name is Peter and I live in New Zealand. I have played the saxophone for some thirty years but never professionally. Mainly for church and small groups friends family etc.
I am trying to learn a little more on how to play and also about instrument quality for buying and selling etc.
I am looking forward to the discussions.
regards Peter

#23 ·

Happy greetings to all! I'm a 64 year old newbie trying to learn what I consider to be the best instrument. Bought an inexpensive tenor Sax and "Saxophone For Dummies". Trying to play a 'G' for my first note practice and keep getting an 'F' on a "Cecilio Chromatic Tuner 92D". Using a "Yamaha 4C" mouthpiece with "Rico #2 Plasticover" reeds. Tried the mouthpiece about 2/3's of the way back on the cork. So, any constructive advice?
Thanks in advance for any help! Jimmy C.

#28 ·

Happy greetings to all! I'm a 64 year old newbie trying to learn what I consider to be the best instrument. Bought an inexpensive tenor Sax and "Saxophone For Dummies". Trying to play a 'G' for my first note practice and keep getting an 'F' on a "Cecilio Chromatic Tuner 92D". Using a "Yamaha 4C" mouthpiece with "Rico #2 Plasticover" reeds. Tried the mouthpiece about 2/3's of the way back on the cork. So, any constructive advice?
Thanks in advance for any help! Jimmy C.
Hey there Jimmy, and welcome too!

First of all, don't worry! The issue you're having is because the Tenor sax is pitched in B flat. This means that anything you play will sound a while tone lower to our ears (and the ears of our tuners)

So when playing that 'G' , you're really going for a sounding F!

Hope this helps,
Jamie

#24 ·

Hi everyone,
I'm Jeff from Longview, WA - about an hour north of Portland, OR (northwest jazz hotbed!). I'm semi-pro, spending maaaanny hours in the shed trying to be a better jazz player. In Longview I'm kind of a stud, in Portland I'm just tolerated. ;-)
I play tenor, alto, soprano - fortunate to own: a tenor Mark VI 200xxx purchased in '73 for $900 :cool:, Yamaha 52 alto and Soprano Keilworth Superba I. ~'90. Should I look for "flute on the web" to mention I play flute too? I'm a mouthpiece ***** who's narrowed the search to Springer on tenor and soprano and satisfied with a VD Java for pretty-much-ever. I'm joining because my instructor, David Valdez of Portland recommended this site as the best place to sell some used pieces. Anyone interested in a Wolf Tayne "AD" tenor metal piece (about a #7 tip opening) resurfaced by Theo Wanne?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.