Sax on the Web Forum banner

Sonora Metal mouthpiece

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  riosax 
#1 ·
Went to some sax shops in NYC today and came across this unusual mouthpiece. It was marked "Sonora" and has an unusually shaped pink bite plate. It played really well. Any idea who made it? Value?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
The pink biteplate means nothing...that looks like the dental epoxy that some mouthpiece guys use to replace original biteplates when reworking/repairing mouthpieces. Dave Guardala used to use it on his handmade pieces instead of having to get them (the biteplates) machined.

#7 ·
the shop that is selling it is asking $275, and said they could come down to $200. Just looked at ebay sold auctions and it looks like B&S pieces sell for around $80

#8 ·
I would suggest German - I received this tenor mouthpiece (attached - no pun intended) "fused" to the neck of a G.H.Huller saxophone. Fused? think mouthpiece "hammered onto neck" to eliminate leaks I suspect. If I were overhauling this sax I'd cut the MP off to limit trauma to the neck but my tech I am sure will have other ideas.

Glenn

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.