Selmer Radio Improved Production - an ongoing study - Page 16

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Selmer Radio Improved Production - an ongoing study

Quote Originally Posted by Tryptykon View Post
    I have an RI alto en route.. Serial No. is 20,367, I think.
    WUT?! You bought another horn, Dave? Naughty boy! haha!!! Tell us more!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member. Tryptykon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jgreiner View Post
    WUT?! You bought another horn, Dave? Naughty boy! haha!!! Tell us more!!
    John, I had to do it . I just ...couldn't.. take the ...pressure... anymore .

I've been haunted for years by an RI alto I played and couldn't raise the $$ for quickly enough.
    Tried to forget about it for 20 years now and finally just caved in and .. went for it .

Should have it in a week-10 days or so. Coming to me from Canada(..eh ?) .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John, I had to do it . I just ...couldn't.. take the ...pressure... anymore .

I've been haunted for years by an RI alto I played and couldn't raise the $$ for quickly enough.
    Tried to forget about it for 20 years now and finally just caved in and .. went for it .

Should have it in a week-10 days or so. Coming to me from Canada(..eh ?) .
    NICE!!! Man, I'm sure you'll love it! I'm actually doing some work to mine right now.....just minor cork/felt stuff that of course requires taking 3/4 of the horn apart!
    So Dave, without me scouring through 16 pages of this thread, I've never quite understood what exactly is different about a RI, as opposed to Supers. I've heard the neck bore was slightly smaller. I've also heard the body tube bore was slightly smaller. I know there are a few different mechanical features, such as the octave mech, but I've also learned through this thread that some early RI's had the geared octave mech. as the Supers did. My personal opinion is that there is *something* slightly different, but I honestly don't know what. My Super and RI are very.......VERY much alike (playing-wise), but they definitely have a different character to them as well. Almost impossible to put into words. I feel my RI is ever so slightly more "compact" blowing-wise than my Super, but then again, my RI is original lacquer (Super is bare brass) and judging by the finger pearls, hasn't been played nearly as much as my Super, so that makes me wonder....... Confused like me?!

J.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NICE!!! Man, I'm sure you'll love it! I'm actually doing some work to mine right now.....just minor cork/felt stuff that of course requires taking 3/4 of the horn apart!
    So Dave, without me scouring through 16 pages of this thread, I've never quite understood what exactly is different about a RI, as opposed to Supers. I've heard the neck bore was slightly smaller. I've also heard the body tube bore was slightly smaller. I know there are a few different mechanical features, such as the octave mech, but I've also learned through this thread that some early RI's had the geared octave mech. as the Supers did. My personal opinion is that there is *something* slightly different, but I honestly don't know what. My Super and RI are very.......VERY much alike (playing-wise), but they definitely have a different character to them as well. Almost impossible to put into words. I feel my RI is ever so slightly more "compact" blowing-wise than my Super, but then again, my RI is original lacquer (Super is bare brass) and judging by the finger pearls, hasn't been played nearly as much as my Super, so that makes me wonder....... Confused like me?!

J.
    Yeah, John - I am seriously curious about the evolutionary design differences of the old Selmers in this period .

Interesting what you say about the slight bore changes and the neck design changes .
    Have you switched necks between your Super and RI altos ?

Here's the one I'm waiting for .
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Vintag...vip=true&rt=nc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, John - I am seriously curious about the evolutionary design differences of the old Selmers in this period .

Interesting what you say about the slight bore changes and the neck design changes .
    Have you switched necks between your Super and RI altos ?

Here's the one I'm waiting for .
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Vintag...vip=true&rt=nc
    I've also heard the LH pinky cluster was slightly changed. I'm gonna have to look REAL close and compare my Super and RI. Regarding swapping necks, no, I haven't tried, but something tells me I'll give that a go later today......lol
    Yeah, I saw that one on eBay! Looks nice! Probably will need (at least some) work done, but that's a very good price, Dave! Be sure to let us know your impressions once it arrives!

J.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've also heard the LH pinky cluster was slightly changed. I'm gonna have to look REAL close and compare my Super and RI. Regarding swapping necks, no, I haven't tried, but something tells me I'll give that a go later today......lol
    Yeah, I saw that one on eBay! Looks nice! Probably will need (at least some) work done, but that's a very good price, Dave! Be sure to let us know your impressions once it arrives!

J.
    Will do. Hopefully it doesn't need much so I can play it sooner than later .. I'm pretty excited !

What mpc. do you like on yours ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Per Tryptykon's suggestion, we've taken this to PM in order to keep this thread more about serial #'s, etc and to save you all from reading our bloviating!

John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I‘m not sure if this has been posted before, but on saxpics there is one gallery showing a Radio Improved tenor that has a neck with a „teakettle“ octave pip, that I have only seen on later BAs or Super Actions so far.

Any suggestions, if that could be the original neck? Maybe Douglas can help?

http://www.saxpics.com/?v=gal&a=1793

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that it is very unlikely that this is the original neck.
    While anything is possible, I'd say "not original" with 99% confidence.

My main argument for this would be that since the patent for this neck was not applied for until 1939, it is very unlikely that it would have been included as original equipment in 1934.

Quote Originally Posted by sax0naut View Post
    I‘m not sure if this has been posted before, but on saxpics there is one gallery showing a Radio Improved tenor that has a neck with a „teakettle“ octave pip, that I have only seen on later BAs or Super Actions so far.

Any suggestions, if that could be the original neck? Maybe Douglas can help?

http://www.saxpics.com/?v=gal&a=1793

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16