Selmer Radio Improved Saxophones - an ongoing study
Purpose: To attempt to determine the duration and makeup of the Selmer Radio Improved Model as accurately as possible.
Method: Positively identify as many examples as possible, ideally with photos for reference and comparison.
Outcomes - to determine the following:
1) Production breakdown between Alto, Tenor and Baritone
2) Production breakdown of Lacquer, Silver, Gold and Custom Finishes
3) Beginning and end of the production for each type.
4) Identify individual production runs within the overall Model run.
5) Identify any developments or changes during the Model run.
Late Radio Improved / Dorsey Disclaimer: For the purpose of this study, all additional Radio Improved horns built after the introduction of the Balanced Action Model are treated separately. For clarification, there seem to be two series of Late RI horns.
Series 1: Radio Improved horns in the 22k to 24k range, stamped as "Radio Improved"
Series 2: Later left-bell horns, not stamped Radio Improved, and generally known as "Dorsey" horns.
Note: This study is a work in progress, so any thoughts and conclusions are subject to change.