Tenors Wanted: Black Nickel Couf Superba 1 or Keilwerth Peter Ponzol SX90r BN

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tenors Wanted: Black Nickel Couf Superba 1 or Keilwerth Peter Ponzol SX90r BN

Looking for a Couf Superba 1 black nickel tenor or would consider a Keilwerth Ponzol Tenor. I've got a 182xxx Selmer mark VI tenor rebuilt by Ken Beason that I may consider trading plus cash on your end.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Tenors Wanted: Black Nickel Couf Superba 1 or Keilwerth Peter Ponzol SX90r BN

I've never seen a Couf Superba in black nickel before, and I look for coufs wherever I can find them, and they are generally gold lacquer - is this a really rare bird?
    Soprano - Yamaha Yss-475, Alto - Couf Superba I, Leblanc Vito, Tenor - Selmer SA80 II,Martin Indiana Bari - J Keilwerth SX90R and Woodwind (Vienna), Bb Clarinet - Selmer Signet Soloist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Tenors Wanted: Black Nickel Couf Superba 1 or Keilwerth Peter Ponzol SX90r BN

What's up Datsaxguy! I hope you find what you're looking for buddy!

5. Remove Advertisements
    SaxOnTheWeb.net
    Advertisements

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never seen one either....do they exist?
    Phil-Tone Custom Woodwinds
    Custom Mouthpiece Design

www.Phil-Tone.com

Forum Contributor 2013 SimonJazzSax's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Black Nickel Couf Superba I's definitely exist. I've seen that finish most on Soprano and then Tenor. Grover Washington had one with that finish I believe. Good Luck on your search!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Just remember to make the best MUSIC you have the ability to make. If you do that, you are a successful musician.
    www.simonhardingmusic.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SimonJazzSax View Post
    The Black Nickel Couf Superba I's definitely exist. I've seen that finish most on Soprano and then Tenor. Grover Washington had one with that finish I believe. Good Luck on your search!

The really rare ones are the Gold Plated ones. Brian at Getasax had or has one. I doubt he sold it knowing him

Just remember to make the best MUSIC you have the ability to make. If you do that, you are a successful musician.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The above post was not meant to be a quote. I just meant to add to my previous post. I will stop while I'm ahead!

Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sarge from Worldwidesax had one in black

http://www.worldwidesax.com/images/COUFS1B2.JPG

Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats sharp and Im not a fan of black and gold.
    Phil-Tone Custom Woodwinds
    Custom Mouthpiece Design

www.Phil-Tone.com

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are pretty rare. I had a BN Couf in mint condition a few years ago. There was another SOTWer that had a Ponzol BN too.
    Rare indeed... Best of luck finding one!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here some pics of one for the doubters: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...4580534&type=3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They exist, but they don't wear well. Once the black lacquer starts to chip, flake and scratch (which happens fairly easily,) the horn looks real beat up real fast. As far as the Modell Ponzol horns, my first tenor was a Ponzol 95,xxx or 96,xxx black nickel, and to this day is probably the prettiest horn I've ever owned. I was in college, and couldn't really get it to sound like I wanted, so I sold it and bought a Mark VI. 20 years later, and now I'm back playing Keilwerths...oh well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Datsaxguy View Post
    Here some pics of one for the doubters: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...4580534&type=3
    Will also do a lacquer or Black Nickel Peter Ponzol
    Miniatures attachées Miniatures attachées image.jpg  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still looking for this horn. Will consider a 5 digit Keilwerth SX90r (mid 90's) and a Couf Superba 1. The finish is irrelevant.

Forum Contributor 2014
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a Ponzol Model before. It was a great player, Sold it to a friend of Peter Ponzol ironically.
    CONN 10M (1936) White ROO Pads....Best Tenor Ever!
    "Just noticed that the "lol" symbol looks like a drowning guy, and all you see is his head and arms sticking out of the water. I bet he's not laughing out loud!"

Like us on Facebook!!! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Saxes...32078803475235

Forum Contributor 2015
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought a new black Superba I alto when they first were released...They had black tenors too...However,The Ponzel Keilwerth nickel tenor is the best Keilwerth I ever played...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A tenor player at a jam session I go to plays a black Superba I tenor 8X,XXX. When I played it and went back to my Martin it felt like a pea shooter. So I bought one, 91,XXX in lacquer. It plays a bit brighter, but still has a big sound.
    Ken

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lorenzo, is that you? Here, I moved your thread over to the Horns Wanted section. Hope that helps you get what you are looking for. -- Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I owned a black nickle Couf Superba I tenor at one time. It played much better when I found a modern Keilwerth neck that worked better for it. The horn was a beast in every positive sense of the word, unfortunately I was foolish and sold it. The gold lacquer was actually gold plating, the sound was ultimately too dark for me, darker than a Keilwerth black nickle SX90. That said, I wish I still had it as an alternative to my 94K MKVI. Grover Washington Jr. played black nickle Couf's, they do exist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast