Sax on the Web Forum banner

R&C Alto "Solista"

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  tictactux 
#1 ·
I recently prevented an old R&C "Solista" Alto from landing in the dumpster.

What's somewhat special (never seen such stuff) about this instrument is that the upper (LH) palm keys are duplicated for the right hand; however, one of the previous owners decided to get rid of the RH touchpieces, all that's left are the linkages in the topmost section of the instrument.

I am unsure whether or not I should remove the excess keywork completely or rather try to rebuild what's missing.
Anyone seen such a beast?

More images here.

See less See more
#4 ·
yes, definitely, keep everything operational. The historical value (and not necessarily economic value) of this horn is in these details.

Why don’t you get in touch with Rampone? They have a museum of their more unusual horns and I think that when I was there I saw something like this.

They might help you.

#5 ·
Got a short answer from R&C that says that it is a rare model they produced in the late '20s, and that photos alone wouldn't be enough to fully reconstruct the keywork.

So I'll just restore what's there and probably cork idle keys / loose ends to prevent them from clattering.

In the meantime I'll continue to try to get at least some pictures. Ain't all that hard to figure what which key was doing, but their shape and placement...oh well.

#6 ·
So pleased that you have decides to restore the horn.
With regard to the shape and placement. The shape can be established by closely resembling the existing L H keys.....& the position will be determined by hand size & convenient position; ie. where they can be reached.
The position, I guess would be academic because they would be very awkward to operate.....so put them where they blend with the overall key-work......at the top opposite the L H palm keys.

#7 ·
I am particularly fond of saxophones with special and alternative keys. Once I saw a German saxophone (can’t remember now exactly which brand) where all the left hand pinky table keys were replicated for the right hand with some small levers in between the normal keys of the right hand.

That one was in a poor state too.

The thing is with these saxophones that their intrinsic value doesn’t justify the restoration costs unless it is a labour of love.

#8 ·
short update - I gave the (untreated) instrument a whirl today.
Sure, some keys require a bit of finger force, but boy, the sound is like vanilla cream oozing out of every tone hole. Frankly, I'm not even sure I change the pads. Just clean and lubricate.
(And this from a clarinet player by trade who thinks of a siphon when he sees a sax)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.