Sax on the Web Forum banner

Sydney

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Elecmuso 
#1 ·
I'm in Sydney for the next few days. Back around 1994 I was living there and I would often frequent 'Soup Plus' and 'The Basement'. The latter is still there I believe - any other suggestions? I may catch a train into the city centre or maybe there is something on the North Shore near Lane Cove where I'm staying (that side of Sydney was not the best for live venues back then).

#4 ·
sydney's not real good sorry to say. the scene's not exactly jumping there as far as i know, unless you like kylie drag shows. go through melb on your way back and check out any number of great venues. really good ones like the make it up club in fitzroy, paris cat, night cat, dizzy's still operates, bennet's lane etc etc etc etc.

i'm probably not much help am i.

#9 ·
sydney's not real good sorry to say. the scene's not exactly jumping there as far as i know, unless you like kylie drag shows. go through melb on your way back and check out any number of great venues. really good ones like the make it up club in fitzroy, paris cat, night cat, dizzy's still operates, bennet's lane etc etc etc etc.

i'm probably not much help am i.
It was helpful for me.
I'm a Fitzroy local so will check some of these out.

#5 ·
I did a tour down there a while ago and The Blue Beat in Double Bay was really nice, seems to have some jazz going here and there (I think the weekend after my band played (we don't really play jazz though) they had good old James Morrison). The resident sound guy really knew what he was doing.

http://www.bluebeat.com.au/

Would agree though, melbourne seems to be the place to be!

#6 ·
Sima lounge near Sydney uni
Lazy bones at Marrickville
James valentine at double bay ( Tuesdays)
The dome at Surry Hills
Union hotel Balmain on Sundays.
Newington Inn Stanmore (when my band plays there)

There are more and your best bet is to google jazz Sydney to get up to date times....

Have fun

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.