Sax on the Web Forum banner

FYI: Gard (Brand) Bass Sax Mid Suspension Bag - DOES NOT FIT Vintage Basses

6K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  John_Dikeman 
#1 ·
#2 ·
This is one of the "joys" of playing a horn that does not justify mass production of accessories. Those of us that double on tuba go through these "learning experiences" all the time. One of by best investments was a Cronkite bag for my vintage Conn bass sax. I think he has patterns already for most vintage horns. The quality is very high.

#6 ·
Well if you're looking to spend a lot, Mike Manning in NYC modified an old coffin to better protect a horn and I saw a FB post saying that he is working on his own design of bass sax case.

#7 ·
Sounds like they sent you a baritone bag by mistake- there is no way a Selmer bass would fit in a 42" bag either!!! The French wrap is only a few inches shorter.
---
EDIT: Wow, I've been lurking here for over a decade (so long that I forgot my original account had to create this one when I completely forgot my original account) and THIS is my very first post. Of all the things to draw me out, why this? :)

#9 ·
Hi Graysax,
Sorry to ressurect such an old thread, but i'm going to take your challenge and ask you how you know. Are you just going by the dimensions listed on Musician's Friend and their sister sites or did you or a customer actually order it and receive a bari bag instead? The reason that I'm asking now is that I noticed that they were very specific on some of the websites that the bag was, in fact, for bass, and not bari, sax. It seemed more likely to me that Gard accidentally copied the dimensions for a bari bag in their materials and everybody ran with it than to think that they went out of their way to describe it as "This one is for bass. The big one." And still mistake it for a bari. Just curious and hoping you can put the matter to rest.
Thank you!!!

#10 ·
I have a 1924 Buescher Bass. I bought the Gard Bass Bag. Tag on it even said Bass Saxophone. It was no where close. I had to sent it back for a refund. I suspect it is for what most people call a french style bass (like a Selmer) as they have a different "wrap" to them making them much shorter.

And that, is how I know.