Sax on the Web Forum banner

Runyon Bionix

6K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  StanVI 
#1 ·
Where is the best place to get a bionix for tenor (#12)?
Thank you.:bluewink2:

#2 ·
I got my red SR custom from Weiner Music, they had to back order it and it was a non cancellable purchase. I have a #11 Bionix, it's a very good mouthpiece but it does require some "getting use to". Practice some overtones if you haven't already out of the Marcel Mule or Eugene Rousseau high tone books. It's Very Easy to play altissimo notes on this mouthpiece and if you aren't carefull you'll overshoot the tone you are going for. I think the #12 is a good choice also, that's about a 110 tip opening. Low notes are good and intonation is also on this mouthpiece. Some people call this the worse mouthpiece ever made and it can be if you can't control it. This is a real innovative mouthpiece design.

#3 ·
Thank you. You are always there to answer my questions.
I´m looking for a bright and powerful runyon mouthpiece: Bionix, Smooth Bore or Quantum Metal (Delrin didn´t like me)
The Bionix may be a risky bet if it´s so special.
Now I´m trying a vandoren jumbo java T95 and I like it. It´s powerful, easy to play and not so bright.

#7 ·
I have the SR, Custom and the Bionix. I had a used Runyon made LA that I gave to a student that was a good straight ahead jazz mouthpiece. I'd like to get some more oomph out of my Custom, I bought an 8 but now wish I got one with a .110 or .120 opening. I use the Bionix on Blues and Rock N Roll gigs, it's great for that! It has nice edge too but like I said you have to get used to it. I haven't played the Quantums, Smooth Bore or the Jaguar so I can't help you there.

#14 ·
First of all, the Runyon page is becoming a very quiet and lonely segment of the SOTW universe!
I busted out my tenor Bionix for the first time in ages today, I like this mouthpiece a lot but I have others that I like more. I like the playability of it, the intonation is good and the altissimo is incredible and easy. My only knock on it is the tone, it's too thin for my liking. I'd like to see Runyon take this same mouthpiece and go back to the drawing board with it. Maybe try it with a larger chamber. I actually would like to see them manufacture a cast version of it in brass with a streamlined profile.
Every so often, I'll look at the Runyon website and see what is going on over there. Still nothing....

#15 ·
Weiner Music is doing a blow out for their remaining stock of these for alto. I don't think we will ever see these again, I think it was a very innovative design that just goes to prove that Santy really knew his stuff. It's good to see some activity here again in this forum, if Runyon starts making mouthpieces again, I hope they begin with the Customs.

#16 ·
Have some alto bionic for sale, black 7, red 9 and red 10. Also have a black jazz 7 and a black jazz 6. Also have a black tenor bionix 7 and a blue SR. Pm for details if interested. These are new pieces.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.